follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #57
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinma View Post
all I read in this thread in Electric Supercharger... So I will just leave this here
Yes we all thought that at the beginning until we saw real world numbers and actually tried out the system. Please don't be a douche and post without researching.

As for the @jpit let us know what the dealer thinks and or whats going through your head. This seems like a simple issue to me. I dont think something major went down.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #58
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Yes we all thought that at the beginning until we saw real world numbers and actually tried out the system. Please don't be a douche and post without researching.
wasnt being a douche :P was posting my future build. Please dont post if you have nothing nice to say, ok douche
Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #59
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have had the ESC for several months and it works providing up to 4.5 psi boost. That video is old and tests stupid products available on ebay. They did not test this product so it's a waste of time to even view it.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #60
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post

As for the @jpit let us know what the dealer thinks and or whats going through your head. This seems like a simple issue to me. I dont think something major went down.
Don't worry bud, it's their lost anyway.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #61
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Don't worry bud, it's their lost anyway.
Aye. Shouldn't feed the trolls. I'll yell at my students instead.

Jpit when you had trouble starting did the phantom on/off switch show a charge?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 05-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #62
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVodka14 View Post
I already looked at it, 'genius'. They're weak. End of story.
You are completely clueless.
Hey I Think we should build a solar airplane! Skeptic: "It'll never work"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/tech/a...solar-impulse/

I want to build tiny capacitors that hold a huge amount of power. EE Professor just a few years ago: "A 1 FARAD capacitor bank would take up a room the size of this classroom"

16 Volt 5000 Farad capacitor bank the size of a small suitcase:
http://www.tecategroup.com/store/ind...102u1vue389q86

Hey I think we should build an electric turbocharger! Skeptic "It'll never work!"
http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/r...1-tech-details

And Forumla 1 is now using the technology, so they must not know what they are talking about....

So why dont you just .... until you know how to use some manners?

Last edited by stugray; 05-07-2014 at 06:50 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
clayrush (05-12-2014), GT86meMR2 (05-07-2014), Muskokan (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #63
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
Sojhinn,

Was just driving down the highway and went to accelerate but there was no response and the car just died. Try several times to start it and it catches for a split second and then just dies. Doesn't seem like fuel starvation. Haven't had a chance to check the fuses yet but it will be the first thing I do when I get it back.
by catches for a slit second, do you mean it fires but then sputters out? If you really had any battery/alternator problems, It shouldn't turn over or get spark. And unless the compressor turbine has the brake locked on and is restricting air to the engine, the ESC has no other way to interfere with the engine without being triggered. The electronics complicate it, but If you have power to turn it over, and for the spark to cause it to catch, and the air is getting past the ESC, all I can think is fuel.
Hope it is something simple like a sensor.

also, is anyone any good with photoshop, I want a picture of a belt driven mechanical cooling fan pointing at my intake. Then I can point out how forced induction is a complete fraud, since we lack the technology to compress air.
.. extra points if you have a fan at the back of the car infront of the exhaust tips that is linked with a belt/pulley system to the fan in the intake, then we can call turbocharging a fraud too.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #64
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
OP, when you tried to restart the car, did the starter motor even crank the engine? If not, did you at least get starter solenoid clicks? Or was it *turn key* -> *silence*?

Depending on which one you got, it'll help identify what WAS working. If you got the starter motor running, then the power systems work. If just solenoid clicks, then not enough battery to run the starter, but the signal was getting there. If just silence, then you've got a short or a blown fuse somewhere. Get a good multimeter and get to work with a continuity tester.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 05-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #65
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
It would almost start then die. Maybe the compressor isn't allowing any air to get through.
I assume the engine would act that way with no air. Rob has recommended to check the PVC hose which I will do. By the way, thanks for all the input. I told the dealer to give it two hours then I'm bringing it home.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #66
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like fuel/air starvation and/or ecu/ tune problem.

//////
Old 05-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #67
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinma View Post
all I read in this thread in Electric Supercharger... So I will just leave this here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVodka14 View Post
HAHA! What's weak is when I get the FMB kit on my car and roll on an ESC. Just a matter of time. I am saving my money for better things bro. Keep talkin.
There comes a time in a mans life when he must quote himself and for me today is that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post
After reading all the comments, my only wish is that technology would have advanced far enough to the point were we could give e-slaps. I would definitely back hand e-slap some of the idiots posting in this thread

Last edited by shif7i7down; 05-07-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added another quote of the people i was referring to
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shif7i7down For This Useful Post:
GT86meMR2 (05-07-2014), raven1231 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #68
AVodka14

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
Your acting like an idiot. This holds especially true when you stated "only gays buy the ESC" if your such a macho tough guy why did you buy a car with a tiny 2 liter engine?

This type of electric power energy is still in development but used successfully in many of todays applications. I am pretty sure the maclaren p1 uses some type and we have really fast electric cars like the Tesla.

I dont own an ESC but am appreciative of the technology and its growth. So how about you keep your childish comments to yourself and stick with being constructive.

To the OP, have you or the dealer simply tried to uninstall the Esc and put it back to stock. Wiring is fussy and any shorts will cause a car not to work. I feel like you would have heard something explode or pop had it been an engine problem.

Good luck.
I was kidding dude. Relax. I am sure the electric supercharger adds some benefit. Not something that impresses me. That's all. I will be more swift and smooth with stating my opinion next time so i don't upset you.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #69
AVodka14

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
What's "weak" is your car without one!
HAHA! What's weak is when I get the FMB kit on my car and roll on an ESC. Just a matter of time. I am saving my money for better things bro. Keep talkin.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #70
AVodka14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
You are completely clueless.
Hey I Think we should build a solar airplane! Skeptic: "It'll never work"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/tech/a...solar-impulse/

I want to build tiny capacitors that hold a huge amount of power. EE Professor just a few years ago: "A 1 FARAD capacitor bank would take up a room the size of this classroom"

16 Volt 5000 Farad capacitor bank the size of a small suitcase:
http://www.tecategroup.com/store/ind...102u1vue389q86

Hey I think we should build an electric turbocharger! Skeptic "It'll never work!"
http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/r...1-tech-details

And Forumla 1 is now using the technology, so they must not know what they are talking about....

So why dont you just .... until you know how to use some manners?
Physics class all over again. I thought my pre-med classes were over. It is so much fun messing with some of you guys on here. Relax. I am sure it is helpful in adding a little power. As I stated in to the other sensitive sally above it is just something that I am not sold on nor ever will be. Where would be without electricity? It's genius. F1 just went to V6 from turbo 2.4 L V8. Where does the ESC come in?

Closed Thread