follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #57
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeMajesticEagle View Post
Digging up an old thread but does anyone know what the culprit of this is? Just got a 13 brz and it clunks everytime I let the clutch pedal out, regardless if I hold it in for 10 seconds or so
Welcome! Actually, looking back at that clip, I'm changing my opinion. Normal.

Are you doing the same thing, dumping the clutch in neutral? Nothing wrong with doing that but yeah, it's going to clunk.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #58
TheeMajesticEagle

Drives: WRB BRZ, 20AE GTI, m50 e30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Welcome! Actually, looking back at that clip, I'm changing my opinion. Normal.

Are you doing the same thing, dumping the clutch in neutral? Nothing wrong with doing that but yeah, it's going to clunk.
Thanks! Loving the car other than worrying about the transmission. I made an appointment to have the dealer look at it Thursday just to be sure
TheeMajesticEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #59
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeMajesticEagle View Post
Digging up an old thread but does anyone know what the culprit of this is? Just got a 13 brz and it clunks everytime I let the clutch pedal out, regardless if I hold it in for 10 seconds or so
Need to be more specific on the circumstances. Is the car running? In gear or neutral? Are you coasting, stopped, or accelerating from a stop? There's lots of moving parts, so knowing exactly when the sound is happening would help to describe what you might be hearing.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #60
TheeMajesticEagle

Drives: WRB BRZ, 20AE GTI, m50 e30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Need to be more specific on the circumstances. Is the car running? In gear or neutral? Are you coasting, stopped, or accelerating from a stop? There's lots of moving parts, so knowing exactly when the sound is happening would help to describe what you might be hearing.
The clunk is only when the car is running, wether I'm moving or not. It seems to happen in every gear including neutral

Last edited by TheeMajesticEagle; 10-20-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Typo
TheeMajesticEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #61
Viselord

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Any resolution on this? I'm having the same issue. Dealer recommended replacing the clutch assembly. Not sure if that's the issue or something else.
Viselord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #62
MurderousPandas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viselord View Post
Any resolution on this? I'm having the same issue. Dealer recommended replacing the clutch assembly. Not sure if that's the issue or something else.
It's normal afaik.
When you let go of the clutch pedal, there is a connection being made. Have you ever set a book onto a table and notice that it makes a sound when the two meet? Unless you let it go slowly, it will make a sound.
My opinion: if the dealer is giving you a free clutch, take it. Otherwise, unless there is a performance problem or a very odd and noticeable noise, such as a rod, don't worry. You bought a sportscar, and sportscars make sounds.

"Chasing speed with patience"
MurderousPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #63
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
This just goes out to all owners patanoid about clutch and drivetrain noises...

If you're letting the clutch out rather quickly, especially at low speed or low rpm, you might just be hearing the clutch plates clap against the disk, or the gears clack as they're suddenly loaded, or the diff clunk slightly from a sudden load. All of the gear teeth meshing together have a very slight gap, called "backlash" that provides the tiniest amount of free movement and prevents the teeth from creating excessive friction. If you've ever built a RC car, setting gear mesh with a piece of paper squished between the pinion and spur are the common way of creating this gap; loading the gears back and forth by hand will make a typical subtle clacking noise.

A lot of mechanical sounds are perfectly normal, this is not a luxury car. Its nearly impossible to diagnose a mechanical sound over the internet with a billion interpretations of what it might be. In all likelyhood you've noticed a normal sound and are getting paranoid. "No other car I've owned has ever made this noise" probably because you just didn't notice it.

If a noise sounds awful, or abnormally loud, or really out of place, then please take a video with clear sound. A garage is a terrible place for recording because the mic picks up every echo, please do it outside and repeat the noise as often as possible to help us identify it.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #64
MurderousPandas

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
This just goes out to all owners patanoid about clutch and drivetrain noises...

If you're letting the clutch out rather quickly, especially at low speed or low rpm, you might just be hearing the clutch plates clap against the disk, or the gears clack as they're suddenly loaded, or the diff clunk slightly from a sudden load. All of the gear teeth meshing together have a very slight gap, called "backlash" that provides the tiniest amount of free movement and prevents the teeth from creating excessive friction. If you've ever built a RC car, setting gear mesh with a piece of paper squished between the pinion and spur are the common way of creating this gap; loading the gears back and forth by hand will make a typical subtle clacking noise.

A lot of mechanical sounds are perfectly normal, this is not a luxury car. Its nearly impossible to diagnose a mechanical sound over the internet with a billion interpretations of what it might be. In all likelyhood you've noticed a normal sound and are getting paranoid. "No other car I've owned has ever made this noise" probably because you just didn't notice it.

If a noise sounds awful, or abnormally loud, or really out of place, then please take a video with clear sound. A garage is a terrible place for recording because the mic picks up every echo, please do it outside and repeat the noise as often as possible to help us identify it.
Exactly where i was going, but recording sounds is tough to do with our cars and those damn crickets, even worse if you have an exhaust. My TOB has been going bad for 3 months or so, but i can't get the sound on video.
The voices in my head keep telling me "today is the day", but it doesn't seem to want to die.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:03 AM   #65
Hadalet

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wow. It's amazing how almost nobody understood what the op was asking for. Even when he would reiterate exactly what the problem was, people derailed the topic with what they assumed was what he was asking. There was slop in the drive train. In every gear. Not a noise, but slop. Making it difficult to shift properly. Not a noise, but slop... You might be wondering why I've got my panties in a wad over this. I've had the exact same problem since I purchased my car in 12'. It FEELS just like the u-joint on a two piece drive shaft is failing (a problem I had on a Chevy luv once). That's not what's happening now, but it feels exactly the same. I had two dealers tell me it was normal in 13' and just took their word for it. Ive been driving stick for 26 years and never had a car this difficult to shift smoothly. I just read every post in this thread thinking there was an answer to what causes it, but instead got an answer to a question that wasn't asked. Does anyone have a definitive answer to what the hell this is? Questioning reality at this point...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Hadalet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hadalet For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #66
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
^^ Heh, I had a LUV too (27 years ago) and the clunk sound this car makes is very similar to what that little truck did. It's not a U joint failing but I'm pretty sure it's everything catching up and "landing" as the shaft and rear end are spinning at different rates. Did that make sense? If you go under the car when it's on a lift and either spin a rear wheel or the driveshaft you'll hear and feel the clunk. I've had a few vehicles that make a similar noise and decided a long time ago not to worry about it.

You've been driving stick for 26 years? Newb
Old 02-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #67
MurderousPandas

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadalet View Post
Wow. It's amazing how almost nobody understood what the op was asking for. Even when he would reiterate exactly what the problem was, people derailed the topic with what they assumed was what he was asking. There was slop in the drive train. In every gear. Not a noise, but slop. Making it difficult to shift properly. Not a noise, but slop... You might be wondering why I've got my panties in a wad over this. I've had the exact same problem since I purchased my car in 12'. It FEELS just like the u-joint on a two piece drive shaft is failing (a problem I had on a Chevy luv once). That's not what's happening now, but it feels exactly the same. I had two dealers tell me it was normal in 13' and just took their word for it. Ive been driving stick for 26 years and never had a car this difficult to shift smoothly. I just read every post in this thread thinking there was an answer to what causes it, but instead got an answer to a question that wasn't asked. Does anyone have a definitive answer to what the hell this is? Questioning reality at this point...

Driving stick for 26 years my arse, you couldn't even answer his question. Why don't you be a douche elsewhere, at least everyone here was brainstorming ideas rather than being a ****.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #68
Hadalet

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderousPandas View Post
Driving stick for 26 years my arse, you couldn't even answer his question. Why don't you be a douche elsewhere, at least everyone here was brainstorming ideas rather than being a ****.

Lol thank you for missing and making my point! :p But I get your point and I apologize for being douchy.

Hadalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #69
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadalet View Post
Lol thank you for missing and making my point! :p But I get your point and I apologize for being douchy.
Haha... I didn't smell any vinegar at all. These things have a lot of drivetrain lash, mushy mounts, and zero sound deadening. Clunk is life.

I'll go back and re-read the OP now.