follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #113
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

Correct, and mostly that comes from the T56 from what has been explained. The post I quoted was specifically disbelieving the LS motor weight in comparison to the FA20.

Oh well, 100-250 lbs is easy to overcome with nearly three times the available horsepower and torque on tap and better transmission gearing.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #114
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
I was super excited that I thought we had moved from 56% to 52% front weight bias with the V8 swap. But it was too good to be true. I screwed up and didn't read the picture correctly. Our guys had the scale readout to show corner bias, not front to rear bias, and I should have noticed this. So the mistake is 100% mine, I own it. A sharp eyed reader on one forum caught this mistake from my last post, and the front-to-rear bias actually didn't change at all - still 56% of the total weight on the nose. But considering what the car gained (134 pounds), with all of the added weight in the middle and front of the car, to manage to keep the same front-to-rear bias was still a good thing. Most AWD and FWD cars we've weighed are closer to 60F/40R, so this V8 FR-S is still ahead of many competitive cars out there. My apologies for posting bad info - mistakes like that drive me crazy - and I have already corrected this mistake on many forums where this thread is posted or re-posted.

Straight from the second link
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #115
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yep. Dry engine weight is just part of it. Changed tranny, more oil, heavier mounts to handle HP and so on all add up.
If you read the Vorshlag blog,.....I gained a measly 100 LBS and kept the exact front to back bias......since then I have lost even more weight by removed A/C compressor and condenser.....removed all air bags and wiring....Stereo speakers and wiring etc.etc...(track car)..but a 100lbs gain with the same balance for a trade off of 372whp and 465ftlbs of torque on pump gas NA is all win to me.

* Vorshlog before correction on weight bias....but total weight gain is unchanged *
The initial car came to us at 2682 pounds (no back seat + 17x9" wheels + roll bar + race seats + front BBK) and with the LS1 + T56 it is now 2816 pounds, for a gain of 134 pounds. I'm a little surprised by that amount of gain, honestly, because my initial best-case estimate of a 50 pound gain wasn't that accurate. Some of this gain is added fuel weight; the car came to us with less than a gallon of E85 in the tank, and now has a 1/3rd of a tank of 93 octane - maybe 35 pounds more fuel than before. So the real gain from the LS1/T56 Magnum XL swap was about 100 pounds.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #116
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
372whp and 465ftlbs of torque on pump gas NA is all win to me.

What is your setup that you're running 100 ft lbs more torque than HP. WTF cam you have in that thing? lol.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #117
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well then you need to educate yourself,....dont take my word for it,.....listen to an expert............
http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8275
I read the article. Nothing to educate myself. It contains known issues about the FI solutions on our cars and then makes a general critic on the boxer design. These guys don't know anything about the history of these engines. The boxer engines are well tested in racing for decades and they proved that can be very competitive comparing to other engine designs. Then they start discussing about weight savings and how to gain some weight from the exhaust, wheels, flywheel. These are solutions that can be used even in the stock car. What is the relationship to the engine swap? Of course, they never give the before and after overall weight of the car. I wouldn't even dare to question where is the new center of gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I just skimmed through the two pages, but I did not see anything about how the V8-powerd car handled compared to stock, much less an "expert" opinion on said handling.

They added 134lbs, and the corner balance is over 52%.

Neither of those compromises are a train wreck, but they are compromises.

I have driven a couple miata's with V8 swaps. Maybe they were done wrong, but they no longer handled as well as a stock Miata.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Do a little research, the LSx (x being variant) is a well thought out, modern design as well. Aluminum block and cylinder heads in a compact design with large displacement.

Basically why the engine is swapped so much over offerings by other companies. It is compact, reliable, and lightweight.

FA20 dry supposedly weighs 377 lbs based off a thread I found on ft86club.
LS1, there are multiple quotes depending on where you look.... but fully dressed with oil around 430 according to hot rod magazine.

I already did my search and know some things about the LSx engines. I didn't want to mention this, because I preferred to ask a person who did the whole swap thing.

From my point of view, his car is not anymore a FR-S/BRZ. Not so much for the reason of the more power, but for the reason that it is not focusing any more on the handling aspect. Whoever reads my complete reply, he'll understand. At least this is my personal opinion.

I am not saying that it is not an interesting project, but it is something different.

Last edited by nikitopo; 07-29-2016 at 01:58 PM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #118
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I read the article. Nothing to educate myself. It contains known issues about the FI solutions on our cars and then makes a general critic on the boxer design. These guys don't know anything about the history of these engines. The boxer engines are well tested in racing for decades and they proved that can be very competitive comparing to other engine designs. Then they start discussing about weight savings and how to gain some weight from the exhaust, wheels, flywheel. These are solutions that can be used even in the NA car. What is the relationship to the engine swap? Of course, they never give the before and after overall weight of the car. I wouldn't even dare to question where is the new center of gravity.

Exactly!

I already did my search and know some things about the LSx engines. I didn't want to mention this, because I preferred to ask a person who did the whole swap thing.

From my point of view, his car is not anymore a FR-S/BRZ. Not so much for the reason of the more power, but for the reason that it is not focusing any more on the handling aspect. Whoever reads my complete reply, he'll understand. At least this is my personal opinion.

They stated it made no change to the overall F/R balance, corner weighted well, and added around 134 lbs. Seems like it should handle mostly the same, but have a nice powerband on hand. With the gearing of the transmission and the overall more reliable V8 and T56 combo, the vehicle would do quite well on a road course.

Seems like that is the direction that vehicle is going in anyways with the responses in this thread @cf6mech
cf6mech (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #119
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Yep. Dry engine weight is just part of it. Changed tranny, more oil, heavier mounts to handle HP and so on all add up.
Quote:
If you read the Vorshlag blog,.....I gained a measly 100 LBS and kept the exact front to back bias......since then I have lost even more weight by removed A/C compressor and condenser.....removed all air bags and wiring....Stereo speakers and wiring etc.etc...(track car)..but a 100lbs gain with the same balance for a trade off of 372whp and 465ftlbs of torque on pump gas NA is all win to me.

* Vorshlog before correction on weight bias....but total weight gain is unchanged *
The initial car came to us at 2682 pounds (no back seat + 17x9" wheels + roll bar + race seats + front BBK) and with the LS1 + T56 it is now 2816 pounds, for a gain of 134 pounds. I'm a little surprised by that amount of gain, honestly, because my initial best-case estimate of a 50 pound gain wasn't that accurate. Some of this gain is added fuel weight; the car came to us with less than a gallon of E85 in the tank, and now has a 1/3rd of a tank of 93 octane - maybe 35 pounds more fuel than before. So the real gain from the LS1/T56 Magnum XL swap was about 100 pounds.

What are you debating with me on?
Strat - "car gains 100-250 pounds"
Me - "Yep"
You - "my car gained 100 pounds"

Once again I said nothing about it impacting handling or any other such thing that could be construed as negative.

You then go on to say "trade off of 372whp and 465ftlbs of torque on pump gas NA" which supports my original statement that your car is no longer a "FRS" when competing against a Camaro.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #120
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:

I am not saying that it is not an interesting project, but it is something different.
This pretty much reflects my sentiment..........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #121
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

It is not important the weight per se. It is more important where you gain or lose weight. Is it in the low end of the car or is it on the high end? Have you seen the 14R60 project? The engineers were struggling to gain a few lbs. from the roof of the car. Is it so important to lose a few lbs? Answer is yes if you lose this weight from the highest part of the car.

Anyway, I stop the discussion here. I am not saying that you don't have a nice car and a fast car. Your car should be even faster than the 14R60 project car. I am all saying that it is different car.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #122
Tcoat

Quote:
Anyway, I stop the discussion here. I am not saying that you don't have a nice car and a fast car. Your car should be even faster than the 14R60 project car. I am all saying that it is different car.
My points all along!
And I always thought that the overly defensive, attempt to justify what nobody is hating on, finding insults where there were none, call people that like the car the way it is "fanboi" attitude was the exclusive realm of the hellaflush crowd. Guess I was wrong.
nikitopo (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #123
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
can we close this thread because this is getting seriously out of hand?

FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (07-29-2016), Tcoat (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #124
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post

But nobody has even referenced my number of posts as part of their argument yet!
Old 07-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #125
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post

NO! ...... to soon ...... we haven't seen "the other side" of @Tcoat yet ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
FX86 (07-29-2016), Tcoat (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #126
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
My points all along!
And I always thought that the overly defensive, attempt to justify what nobody is hating on, finding insults where there were none, call people that like the car the way it is "fanboi" attitude was the exclusive realm of the hellaflush crowd. Guess I was wrong.

Eh, fanboi was around way before herrafrush
Tcoat (07-29-2016)