follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #43
JD86

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_12v View Post
How did you manage to open the bonnet?
Like this...
Attached Images

JD86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #44
JD86

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_12v View Post
How did you manage to open the bonnet?
Don't worry it's not as bad as it looks haha. Glad this wasn't my screw up though. After going through the wheel well we wound up taking off all the bottom panels and taking the intercooler out to reach the cable. Thankfully it was only the outer cable that had come free so once we grabbed that and held it securely the latch activated.

Was a pain though. I really hope I don't ever break the inner cable as I think that would require dropping the engine out to reach the latch.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #45
JD86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
Wish the FR-S came with these wheels as an option much better IMO
I'm with you on that one! Although bit of an expensive option. I fell in love with the BBS RI-D ACQ wheels today which are even worse... Thankfully they don't come in the right stud pattern and are 19 and 20 inch only (for now). If they had come in 18s or 17s I would have changed my hubs over to make them fit they're that hot, and my poor bank balance just can't take it hahaha.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to JD86 For This Useful Post:
nix (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #46
JD86

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96nax View Post
Project's looking AMAZING. Do you have any plans for aero such as a front diffuser or canards?
Thanks mate!
There is some plans in the work, but I haven't settled on anything yet. I have a couple of unique ideas floating around in my head and it's a matter of finding someone capable of fabricating what I want in WA. If I can't find anyone here I might have to either go to the eastern states for it, or settle on off the shelf items.
I also want to finish the mechanical side before I start messing with cosmetics too much as I'm a go before show kinda guy.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #47
JD86

I did get the oil cooler all plumbed in today! So there were some positives.

Lines in behind front bumper.
Name:  Oil Cooler Front.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  317.1 KB

Fitted up under the right hand headlight with some custom brackets.
Name:  Oil Cooler Finished.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  340.1 KB

One of the few things that looks out of place in the engine bay, the shiny red and blue fittings.
Name:  Oil Cooler Lines.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  375.6 KB

Last edited by JD86; 08-04-2013 at 12:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD86 For This Useful Post:
GC GTS Aero Kit (09-03-2013), nix (07-24-2013), Sportsguy83 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #48
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Awesome build!!!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #49
JD86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Awesome build!!!
Thank you kind sir! Had a lot of catching up to do on you haha!
Also a big thanks for all your help in answering my questions. Still struggling for a radiator to fit your build? Koyo works a treat ;-)
Sportsguy83 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #50
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD86 View Post
Thank you kind sir! Had a lot of catching up to do on you haha!
Also a big thanks for all your help in answering my questions. Still struggling for a radiator to fit your build? Koyo works a treat ;-)
Thanks for the input. I'm basically holding out to see if anything new comes, but that is my choice as of now! Loving your build really, keep it up!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #51
Pitman
Living the dream

Drives: Fensport AVO Turbo GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is reading build threads like this that has prompted me to take the plunge and fit the AVO kit to my car :happy0180:
Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #52
JD86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post
Looking really good

My AVO turbo kit is being fitted next Friday - the first customer one in the UK

Have you wired the AEM Failsafe gauge in yet? If so, I would really appreciate any details you could share as to how you did it, as I am planning on fitting one as well.
Ok so I have my failsafe mostly wired in. It seems to be working right... But I haven't got it all set up through the computer yet. That's a job for later. For the moment I've left out the data logger wires for simplicity (yellow, white and brown from memory) and the tachometer (green). Plus I'm not entirely sure if I'm supposed to wire those in to a specific data logger. @Sportsguy83 feel free to chime in here.

For boost I've just run a T off the brake booster line on the same spot where you run the feed for the blow off valve. I have a vacuum manifold but I'm not planning on running anything more than the BOV and boost gauge. If that changes I'll plug the manifold in where the T is.

The red wire I've run into my accessories charger/cigarette lighter which is on whenever I have my keys in/ignition on. The grey wire I've run into the dimmer switch for dash board (but not overly necessary to use this one). You're right hand drive right? If you open the drivers side door there's a panel on the side of the dash that you can pop off. There's a steel plate behind that you can use as an earth. I've screwed the blue and black wires onto that.

When I find where the green one goes I'll let you know. Also when the sun is up I'll take some photos of where everything is spliced in.

To help I picked up a test light from my local auto store for not a lot of money. Basically it's a probe with a globe in it on and an earth clamp on the other side. Ground the earth, put the probe in where you think the wire should go and turn ignition/headlights whatever you're checking for on/off. If the light on the probe turns on/off or dims you've found your splice point. Hey presto even a novice like me can find the right spots to wire stuff in =p
Pitman (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #53
JD86

Update for the day...

It's alive.

More details to come when I stop driving it.
Sportsguy83 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #54
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Sounds like you have the AEM Failsafe gauge. There is a thread where I helped a couple guys find the correct wire for the tach signal (green wire). I am sure @Sportsguy83 can find it for you, cause he is good at that. As far as I am aware, nobody has found a wire that will properly dim any gauge. They are always looking for a 0-12, 12-0, 0-5, or 5-0 V signal, and our car doesn't provide that anywhere based on the movement of the dimming switch.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #55
JD86

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Sounds like you have the AEM Failsafe gauge. There is a thread where I helped a couple guys find the correct wire for the tach signal (green wire). I am sure @Sportsguy83 can find it for you, cause he is good at that. As far as I am aware, nobody has found a wire that will properly dim any gauge. They are always looking for a 0-12, 12-0, 0-5, or 5-0 V signal, and our car doesn't provide that anywhere based on the movement of the dimming switch.
You are correct with the gauge sir, and I have already been pointed to your comments by Sportsguy (who seems to know where to find everything on here haha)... I just haven't found the spot in my car where that wire comes from yet. I was in a hurry to get the car running and out of the shop as it is going in for ceramic pro tomorrow. I'll find it when I get the car back.

My Gauge was dimming earlier... But it was flicking between dim and not dim when I was turning the dial (I have it spliced into the purple wire on the dimmer switch).

What on earth are the data logger wires for? Do I need those if I'm just going to plug into my PC/AEM software for data logging through the gauge?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #56
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD86 View Post
Ok so I have my failsafe mostly wired in. It seems to be working right... But I haven't got it all set up through the computer yet. That's a job for later. For the moment I've left out the data logger wires for simplicity (yellow, white and brown from memory) and the tachometer (green). Plus I'm not entirely sure if I'm supposed to wire those in to a specific data logger. @Sportsguy83 feel free to chime in here.

For boost I've just run a T off the brake booster line on the same spot where you run the feed for the blow off valve. I have a vacuum manifold but I'm not planning on running anything more than the BOV and boost gauge. If that changes I'll plug the manifold in where the T is.

The red wire I've run into my accessories charger/cigarette lighter which is on whenever I have my keys in/ignition on. The grey wire I've run into the dimmer switch for dash board (but not overly necessary to use this one). You're right hand drive right? If you open the drivers side door there's a panel on the side of the dash that you can pop off. There's a steel plate behind that you can use as an earth. I've screwed the blue and black wires onto that.

When I find where the green one goes I'll let you know. Also when the sun is up I'll take some photos of where everything is spliced in.

To help I picked up a test light from my local auto store for not a lot of money. Basically it's a probe with a globe in it on and an earth clamp on the other side. Ground the earth, put the probe in where you think the wire should go and turn ignition/headlights whatever you're checking for on/off. If the light on the probe turns on/off or dims you've found your splice point. Hey presto even a novice like me can find the right spots to wire stuff in =p
The dimmer switch does not work as a dimmer for gauges because it is not 0-12V signal. You need to run it to the ILL+ or ILL- cable in the back of the radio Headunit. @King Tut (works for the AEM Failsafe)

The other cables aside from black, red, gray and green, are only needed if you have say an electronic boost controller that accepts a falsifiable signal to open up the Wastegate and stop building boost. I don't have an EBC, so I don't have those features installed.

@JD86, I hope my pic will help you find the green wire location, it goes into one of the connectors of the certification ECU. This is (on our LHD car), below the glove box on the passenger side (my guess would be it will be under your driver's side panel).

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=77