follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Beachin86

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flippin Dip Stick!

Hi guys,

I'm coming up on an oil change so I tried checking my oil level. I don't remember having this issue before but I can not read the oil level on my dip stick to save my life. I've tried checking when the car is completely cold, letting it sit for 5-10 minutes after a warm-up cycle, and also after parking from a cruise (also after giving the oil time to settle). And yes, I've made sure the car is sitting on a flat surface. I've even tried checking while the car is sitting in three different level areas (driveway, garage, and parking garage at work).

I've tried etching into the dipstick to give it more grip on the oil, but it seems EVERY time I pull it out, the oil is on the edge of the stick and not at all on the surface. I've wiped it off, reinserted the dip stick and when I pull it out, the flat part is completely dry to the touch while the oil sticks to the edge. If I check the opposite side, it's also completely dry with no oil whatsoever, even on the edge. I've also tried turning the dipstick 90 degrees before inserting but I get enough resistance that it's obvious it only wants to go in at a certain angle. I also tried 180 degrees from where it was (proper angle, just opposite side of the stick) as it's very slightly bent, but still no luck.

I was paranoid that maybe I was running dry, so I tried filling a small amount (about 1/10 of a quart) and I can see the oil level rise accordingly on the dipstick (reading from the edge). Now I'm even more paranoid because if that oil level is accurate while it's showing on the edge of the dipstick, then I am now OVER the limit. (See pic)

Just to clarify, on my last oil change, I was able to read the dipstick properly after filling up and was just under the FULL dot. Filled with EXACTLY 5.7 qt of Redline 0W20. I've already tried searching the forums and I see others have had this same issue where it only shows on the edge of the stick but I haven't seen any way to get a proper reading.

It's embarrassing to not be able to check my own oil level. lol. HALP!
Attached Images

Beachin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
It has to be checked warm. So run the car, wait 5 minutes, check. Flat surface. Check both sides of the stick. This is very important. The lowest reading is the true reading.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If there's no oil in the drilled through holes, You're running way low.
The curve in the tube at the bottom puts it in at an angle. Won't be level across the width of the stick.
Should be readable if there's actually oil in it.
There will always be oil on the tube walls that will scrape out on the edges.
Unless it's reeeel empty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (02-14-2018), Cole (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have ran into the same situation myself when I first changed the oil on my FRS lol.

I did the same exact procedures you have done and still can't accurately read where my oil level is. I had at least 2 other people with me to double check my oil level to give me peace of mind.

Add little by little, to see if there is any difference on the dip stick rather than adding too much and have to drain the oil again. I recommend having a fumoto oil drain valve for this situation and for easy oil changes.

I think following the owner's manual on how much oil should be put in should help. There is also a dipstick that ft86sf offers that they say would give the "most accurate" reading if that is what you want.

Hope this halps!
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KMA KiCKz For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Looks to me that the dip stick is not "dipping" into the oil in the pan which means you're either not on a level surface or you are running very low. Do that oil change ASAP and measure how much oil you actually drain out.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
Beachin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
If there's no oil in the drilled through holes, You're running way low.
The curve in the tube at the bottom puts it in at an angle. Won't be level across the width of the stick.
Should be readable if there's actually oil in it.
There will always be oil on the tube walls that will scrape out on the edges.
Unless it's reeeel empty.
That's what I'm afraid of. I just don't see how I can be so critically low. My last oil change was maybe 5k miles ago, I have no leaks and I'm not burning oil. I'm tempted to just flush and fill tonight but the oil filter is still on its way. Would changing the filter post-fill be okay? I'm trying to avoid oil starvation and the dreaded spun rod bearing.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
One of these might help? http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/supe...2013-ft86.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
bcj is right on, no oil in the hole at the bottom - you are very low.
It sounds like you do not check on a regular basis, if you wait for the light it is almost too late.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachin86 View Post
That's what I'm afraid of. I just don't see how I can be so critically low. My last oil change was maybe 5k miles ago, I have no leaks and I'm not burning oil. I'm tempted to just flush and fill tonight but the oil filter is still on its way. Would changing the filter post-fill be okay? I'm trying to avoid oil starvation and the dreaded spun rod bearing.
None that you know of....
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
Beachin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA KiCKz View Post
I have ran into the same situation myself when I first changed the oil on my FRS lol.

I did the same exact procedures you have done and still can't accurately read where my oil level is. I had at least 2 other people with me to double check my oil level to give me peace of mind.

Add little by little, to see if there is any difference on the dip stick rather than adding too much and have to drain the oil again. I recommend having a fumoto oil drain valve for this situation and for easy oil changes.

I think following the owner's manual on how much oil should be put in should help. There is also a dipstick that ft86sf offers that they say would give the "most accurate" reading if that is what you want.

Hope this halps!
I almost bought that drain valve but I wasn't sure if it was magnetic. I like to see how much metal has built up, so I have a magnetic drain plug (no valve).

As far as FT86SF's dip stick, from what I can tell it just has a button that relieves the pressure caused by the O-Ring. I think unscrewing the oil fill cap has the same effect, but I'm no expert. It also seemed a bit overpriced for a dip stick, so I didn't give into it.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
Beachin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Looks to me that the dip stick is not "dipping" into the oil in the pan which means you're either not on a level surface or you are running very low. Do that oil change ASAP and measure how much oil you actually drain out.
Allright, you guys scared me enough. haha. Will be draining it tonight and the filter will just have to get replaced when it comes tomorrow. I don't want to wait any longer in case it really is that low. Will post with an update.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would add oil right away asap. Check the oil level and ensure your at the right level. Then do an oil change. If you can't or don't want to waste oil then buy a 5q jug of oil and a single quart bottle. Drain completely then refill with the entire 5q jug and about half the quart. Manual calls for 5.7quarts I believe. Then run car and sit for 5 and re check, get in the habit of checking your oil weekly or by weekly.
My personal tip is Walmart online seems to have great prices on oil, I always buy from there.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
Beachin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
None that you know of....
True, if the full 5.7 qt doesn't drain out, I'll look around a bit more.

I feel like it would have to be dripping from the drain plug for me to not notice and I did torque it to spec when I did the last change. I checked the common leak spots for the 2013s. Don't know the name of the part, but one is here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=26197&page=2

And the other is the base of the dip stick holder itself. If there are any other common leak areas for 2013s, someone please let me know so I can inspect those as well.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #14
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
@Tcoat page
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (02-14-2018)