follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #687
WRX4ME

Drives: 2016 BRZ HyperBlue, 2015 WRX Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
Sorry to hear that man but all 7040Ls will fail sooner or later because of the weak design. Many owners already know that from own sad experience (some even had it twice like you and me), others still believe in miracles and/or some HKS brand magic (which is non-existent) but they will admit eventually too that these superchargers' failure is inevitable like death or taxes
Maybe mine will fail, maybe it wont. Regardless, Im going to run it til it drops and if it does, replace it with the Jackson Racing setup. JR has a 3 year warranty on their Rotrex unit, here in the States. HKS offered a year, I think, which in my case has elapsed. So, whatever happens, happens.
WRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WRX4ME For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (07-03-2017), Kylebrz (06-30-2017), zeal86 (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #688
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebrz View Post
You sure it's not just the bov closing after the suoercharger starts making more boost then the engines vacuum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely.
The Following User Says Thank You to empower-auto For This Useful Post:
Kylebrz (06-30-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #689
Jase

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Aero - White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi Kyle, I'm happy to help test the design. I have a background in reliability engineering, some exposure to failure analysis, and can do non-destructive testing, so can provide good data on performance of the part. I would rather have an untested part and potentially unreliable car than a broken part and completely immobile car lol! Please let me know when I can get hold of one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jase For This Useful Post:
Evil Rocky (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #690
Kylebrz

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Hey @Jase I'm actually In The process to collect the drive stubs from failed units cause I need them to make more pieces I currently have mine in my car and it's working great but I need to get mY hands on the part that's failed and the shalt that's connected if you know of any or anyone willing to give one up for the project of making the hks kit indestructible let me know I had to pay out the ass for the prototype but I do believe this is the permanent fix!!

Kylebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
Evil Rocky (07-02-2017), Jase (07-04-2017), Trap63 (08-07-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #691
Jase

Quote:
Hey @Jase I'm actually In The process to collect the drive stubs from failed units cause I need them to make more pieces I currently have mine in my car and it's working great but I need to get mY hands on the part that's failed and the shalt that's connected if you know of any or anyone willing to give one up for the project of making the hks kit indestructible let me know I had to pay out the ass for the prototype but I do believe this is the permanent fix!!

I could give you mine, as long as I get it back with a new threaded piece attached

Just a thought - is there any reason the shaft and input ring cannot be machined as one piece? I can see why the factory made it as two - more economical, allows different materials/methods to be used for each part, and, given the flex in their stock input ring, was probably to reduce chance of fatigue at shaft/ring interface. But... yours looks much thicker/stiffer - with suitably radiused corners, fatigue should be eliminated. Yours is also machined, no need to accommodate a second process (was the stock part sintered? Odd surface finish doesn't look machined). I guess there is more work (bearing tolerances, lube ports etc.) and more material waste, but it would set you up to be able to sell without waiting for stubs from customers. Alternatively - get the stubs machined as well, keeping the original setup.

Anyway, you've gone further through this than me, and probably considered all this already. Forgive me if that was all a bit of a brainfart - just thinking out loud.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #692
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
I could give you mine, as long as I get it back with a new threaded piece attached

Just a thought - is there any reason the shaft and input ring cannot be machined as one piece? I can see why the factory made it as two - more economical, allows different materials/methods to be used for each part, and, given the flex in their stock input ring, was probably to reduce chance of fatigue at shaft/ring interface. But... yours looks much thicker/stiffer - with suitably radiused corners, fatigue should be eliminated. Yours is also machined, no need to accommodate a second process (was the stock part sintered? Odd surface finish doesn't look machined). I guess there is more work (bearing tolerances, lube ports etc.) and more material waste, but it would set you up to be able to sell without waiting for stubs from customers. Alternatively - get the stubs machined as well, keeping the original setup.

Anyway, you've gone further through this than me, and probably considered all this already. Forgive me if that was all a bit of a brainfart - just thinking out loud.

Hey man yea the drive stub is pretty intense to make and the piece that I have is wayyy stronger and is balanced! It would cost to much to have the drive stub made as one piece the guy that I have making these pieces is still working on price cause the first one always cost more since it's never been made before

Old 07-05-2017, 12:26 AM   #693
Jase

Quote:
Hey man yea the drive stub is pretty intense to make and the piece that I have is wayyy stronger and is balanced! It would cost to much to have the drive stub made as one piece the guy that I have making these pieces is still working on price cause the first one always cost more since it's never been made before

Is the drive stub/ring interface a left hand thread? Just good to know before I apply force.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #694
Kylebrz

Quote:

Yea it's reverse thread the old piece has to be cut off cause hks used some crazy thread lock

The Following User Says Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
Jase (07-06-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #695
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I have 2 HKS failed units.

One with the annulus separated the other one intact. Kyle do you have the ability to dissassemble mine? I'd provide the remainder of the busted annulus if I could at least transfer the intact one to my failed unit. The intact one ran dry so the bearings are pooched.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #696
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Is this a general problem or only you because of a special mod?
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #697
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post

One with the annulus separated the other one intact. Kyle do you have the ability to dissassemble mine? I'd provide the remainder of the busted annulus if I could at least transfer the intact one to my failed unit. The intact one ran dry so the bearings are pooched.

You have 2 failed chargers?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #698
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Is this a general problem or only you because of a special mod?

So far it's getting to be a common issue. I was only running 10.5 psi on mine and it went but now it's running perfect

Old 07-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #699
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I hope the second charger keeps working fine. How much is the price for a charger replacement? Can you modify the kit to replace the HKS charger with a Rotrex unit?
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #700
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
I hope the second charger keeps working fine. How much is the price for a charger replacement? Can you modify the kit to replace the HKS charger with a Rotrex unit?

The replacement charger is 3k I just have redesigned the piece that fails ... make it to handle more then the charger could ever be capable of