follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #645
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
Same problem with mine. I'm based in Australia so I'm going through the local guys here, but I don't have much faith in what I've heard so far. I'll probably design my own fix in CAD then see if I can get it machined. Might be a market for them haha!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
At last! US and Australia! Finally reports from places other than Russia where at least 5 such HKSes died with exactly the same symptoms. Now, I think, we can officialy state that the HKS 7040GT SC is internationally recognized piece of crap with a constructive design flaw which the manufacturer refuses to admit.
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Efferalgan For This Useful Post:
Kylebrz (05-25-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:44 AM   #646
Jase

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Aero - White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
At last! US and Australia! Finally reports from places other than Russia where at least 5 such HKSes died with exactly the same symptoms. Now, I think, we can officialy state that the HKS 7040GT SC is internationally recognized piece of crap with a constructive design flaw which the manufacturer refuses to admit.
Yes Australia too. Still trying to source parts...
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170522/23914888b76426dbf067a679f5***f0b.jpg[/IMG]

Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:46 AM   #647
Jase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
My serial no. Someone on here was collecting the broken ones?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jase For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:33 AM   #648
Efferalgan

Yep. Thanks. It was me. But the only logic which I manage to find - all of them brake down. 13s, 14s and 15s - like yours. No difference in constuction or build quality.

Quote:
My serial no. Someone on here was collecting the broken ones?

Old 05-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #649
WRX4ME

Drives: 2016 BRZ HyperBlue, 2015 WRX Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightEdition View Post
So is an EL header absolutely needed or can you run a UEL on the 91 tune as well? I'm getting ready to swap the header and the plugs. If I have to go full HKS I will, just wondering if adding a different header would cause any chaos.

I installed the Tomei EL header and overpipe on my HKS Supercharged BRZ. I was going to go with the HKS EL header, but they were out of stock just about every place I checked, until maybe this Fall. After installation, I took a couple of data logs and sent them to my tuner for review. Everything looked good and no revisions were necessary. You can definitely feel the difference in the powerband after install. I didn't think it would give the car that much of a kick in the pants, but was pleasantly surprised.
WRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WRX4ME For This Useful Post:
wbradley (06-20-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #650
Kylebrz

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Quote:
Same problem with mine. I'm based in Australia so I'm going through the local guys here, but I don't have much faith in what I've heard so far. I'll probably design my own fix in CAD then see if I can get it machined. Might be a market for them haha!

Hey man I have a guy that redesigned the threaded cap I will have it next week I can get him to make a few I will post the fixed part after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kylebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (05-30-2017), makinen (06-03-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #651
jackblack21

Drives: red scion frs
I am currently looking at an HKS V3 super charger. It says it comes with a pre programmed ecu tune for 91oct. How good is this generic tune and will it work with an AT car? Thanks in advance.
jackblack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #652
Jase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebrz View Post
Hey man I have a guy that redesigned the threaded cap I will have it next week I can get him to make a few I will post the fixed part after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mate that would be fantastic!

Old 06-02-2017, 01:16 AM   #653
Jase

Do not buy HKS. They have no parts support, and a replacement SC unit is going to cost $4800AUD. Great unit when it is running, but not worth the risk. Fuck HKS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jase For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (06-05-2017), Surok (01-18-2018)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:21 AM   #654
Efferalgan

Quote:
Do not buy HKS. They have no parts support, and a replacement SC unit is going to cost $4800AUD. Great unit when it is running, but not worth the risk. Fuck HKS.

Worth to be sticked at the beginning of this thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to Efferalgan For This Useful Post:
Surok (01-18-2018)
Old 06-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #655
WRX4ME

HKS has a very long and storied history of making quality products. That said, it's terrible anytime anyone experiences an expensive failure. But there are not enough BRZ/FRS owners with this particular S/C kit, represented in this forum, to extrapolate any type of accurate rate of failure. And certainly not enough to make an unimpeachable claim that the unit is garbage. Too many variables are at play, including but not limited to quality of installation, modification of the kit, etc., etc. And that's just a couple of variables.. We could make a pretty long list. For that matter, the same HKS GT unit is utilized in more kits than just those for the BRZ/FRS. A broader search for HKS GT superchargers in various forums, in general, does not turn up a mass of enraged customers with failed/broken units. Granted, if my Supercharger conks out on me in short order, I'll share in being appropriately irritated. And while it sucks that a replacement supercharger unit costs $2000 or more, considering that it is the primary component of the kit, with the rest being mostly hoses, clamps, and bolts, it's not surprising. If my kit fails, I'll make the determination at that time whether or not to just get a new S/C unit, or to switch to Jackson Racing, which also has a history of producing a quality product. Personally, however, I'm going to wait and see how things play out. HKS now has new representation in the US market and hopefully that will make things better for US customers. Even so, parts will still be manufactured in Japan and will have to be shipped to the US on HKS' schedule which will probably still lead to delays if local distributors don't have said parts in stock. But I knew that when I chose the kit. So far, my S/C and those of the vast majority of others I know of with the same kit are holding up just fine. I hope that trend continues. In the meantime, however, I'm not going to jump on a "HKS sucks" bandwagon. But, I've had a great experience with HKS through the years, not just on my BRZ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRX4ME For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-05-2017), zeal86 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #656
zeal86

Drives:
Thanked 1,773 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4ME View Post
HKS has a very long and storied history of making quality products. That said, it's terrible anytime anyone experiences an expensive failure. But there are not enough BRZ/FRS owners with this particular S/C kit, represented in this forum, to extrapolate any type of accurate rate of failure. And certainly not enough to make an unimpeachable claim that the unit is garbage. Too many variables are at play, including but not limited to quality of installation, modification of the kit, etc., etc. And that's just a couple of variables.. We could make a pretty long list. For that matter, the same HKS GT unit is utilized in more kits than just those for the BRZ/FRS. A broader search for HKS GT superchargers in various forums, in general, does not turn up a mass of enraged customers with failed/broken units. Granted, if my Supercharger conks out on me in short order, I'll share in being appropriately irritated. And while it sucks that a replacement supercharger unit costs $2000 or more, considering that it is the primary component of the kit, with the rest being mostly hoses, clamps, and bolts, it's not surprising. If my kit fails, I'll make the determination at that time whether or not to just get a new S/C unit, or to switch to Jackson Racing, which also has a history of producing a quality product. Personally, however, I'm going to wait and see how things play out. HKS now has new representation in the US market and hopefully that will make things better for US customers. Even so, parts will still be manufactured in Japan and will have to be shipped to the US on HKS' schedule which will probably still lead to delays if local distributors don't have said parts in stock. But I knew that when I chose the kit. So far, my S/C and those of the vast majority of others I know of with the same kit are holding up just fine. I hope that trend continues. In the meantime, however, I'm not going to jump on a "HKS sucks" bandwagon. But, I've had a great experience with HKS through the years, not just on my BRZ.
+1 Well stated!

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
zeal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #657
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4ME View Post
Unfortunately ever since HKS USA dissolved the first time years ago -- every iteration of it since has been a complete joke serving as nothing more than a US based warehouse with weak marketing. Their staff have been generally lacking in knowledge about their own product. I've been dealing with this shit for 3 years now.

HKS in Japan is a totally different story and amazing to deal with. I wish they would just stop trying to run an HKS USA branch once and for all because it's one failure after another.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #658
WRX4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Unfortunately ever since HKS USA dissolved the first time years ago -- every iteration of it since has been a complete joke serving as nothing more than a US based warehouse with weak marketing. Their staff have been generally lacking in knowledge about their own product. I've been dealing with this shit for 3 years now.

HKS in Japan is a totally different story and amazing to deal with. I wish they would just stop trying to run an HKS USA branch once and for all because it's one failure after another.

I won't disagree with you there. The US entity representing HKS over the past few years has been lacking on many levels. That said, I've not had any problems with going through some of the 'Pro Dealers' for HKS products when I needed a replacement part like a hose or fitting, here and there. One Pro-Dealer on the West Coast was exceptionally helpful to me. I still had the weeks long wait for the part to be shipped over on the boat, unless I wanted to pay an exorbitant shipping fee, but sourcing and obtaining the part was no problem and my e-mails to them didn't fall into a hole, never to be answered.

I agree with you in the sense that we'd probably all be better off dealing directly with HKS Japan for questions/customer service issues and then source necessary parts from suppliers here in the states.