follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #85
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The manual doesn't have a word about ethanol-free gas.
Personally, I can tell when my car sounds like a 10 y/o junker and when it sounds normal.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #86
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
...with no solid conclusion. Unless I missed it?
The TSB was just released to our knowledge on this board and probably most dealerships. I'm sure we will find out soon. The fact that the TSB actually stops at a certain VIN gives me confidence it is revised parts or faulty manufacturing but at the same time a member here mentioned he took delivery of one that missed the cutoff by 7 cars in late August is making me second guess its actually revised parts
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #87
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
The TSB was just released to our knowledge on this board and probably most dealerships. I'm sure we will find out soon. The fact that the TSB actually stops at a certain VIN gives me confidence it is revised parts or faulty manufacturing but at the same time a member here mentioned he took delivery of one that missed the cutoff by 7 cars in late August is making me second guess its actually revised parts
The new VIN might signify a revised factory installation process. But I saw someone post who just had their BRZ delivered a couple weeks ago and got the chirping after their first fuel refill. I would guess that car is past the cutoff.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #88
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
The manual doesn't have a word about ethanol-free gas.
Personally, I can tell when my car sounds like a 10 y/o junker and when it sounds normal.
It's in one of the manuals. I copy/pasted the info into one of my posts few days ago from one of those .pdf files published on STIS for the BRZ:

Use only gasoline containing a maximum of 10% ethanol.
DO NOT use any flex-fuel or gasoline that could contain more than 10% ethanol, including from any pump labeled E15, E30, E50, E85 (which are only some examples of fuel containing more than 10% ethanol)
●If you use gasohol in your SUBARU, be sure that it has an octane rating
no lower than 93 AKI.
●●SUBARU DOES NOT recommend the use of gasoline containing methanol

■Fuel types
Unleaded gasoline (93 AKI [Research Octane Number 98] or higher)
If unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 93 AKI (98 RON) is not available,
unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI (95 RON) may be
used with no detriment to engine durability or driveability.

--
My dad just read some posts from people who switched from 93 octane w/ ethanol to 91 octane w/o ethanol had the chirp go away. So it may actually be the additives in people's fuels (ethanol) that increase likelihood of chirping.

Also my buddy with an FR-S noticed the chirp was less apparent when he filled with 93 but recently he had to use 91 and the chirp came back more pronounced. He had no comment whether ethanol was in either.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #89
dsgerbc

^And? I see nothing about ethanol-free gas.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:59 AM   #90
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
^And? I see nothing about ethanol-free gas.
I never said the manual mentions "ethanol-free" gas but was pointing out it does mention and discourage ethanol. I only said owners have noticed that ethanol-free makes a difference. Draw the connection.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #91
dsgerbc

The manual discourages non-standard formulations, that's all. Basically, the way the manual is written, what you're referring to is a section for dummies, similar to 'don't put diesel into your gasoline engine'. No conclusions can be drawn from the manual. All this section says - use 91-93 octane pump gas and nothing else.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #92
enigmaaron

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S MT, '04 Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The new VIN might signify a revised factory installation process. But I saw someone post who just had their BRZ delivered a couple weeks ago and got the chirping after their first fuel refill. I would guess that car is past the cutoff.
Based on what? Now you're just making stuff up. Toyota has recognized the issue and released a TSB. Until someone who gets their pump replaced now (not had it done a month or more ago), or has a VIN above the range listed in the TSB and has the issue return it should be considered resolved.

I'm sorry if I come across harsh but there is way too much negativity and derision of Toyota/Subaru on this board. This TSB shows they clearly recognized the issue, diagnosed it, and released a fix as well as fixing it in manufacturing. This is a very common issue and it took 4 months for them to come out with the official fix. This is how long it takes. More complex and less common issues (i.e. idle/CEL issue) will take more digging and more time to comprehensively fix.
enigmaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enigmaaron For This Useful Post:
Chewie4299 (09-30-2012), demby123 (10-07-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #93
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thank God. I have a service appt scheduled for Tuesday morning. Gonna mention this along with several other issues.
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #94
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It's in one of the manuals. I copy/pasted the info into one of my posts few days ago from one of those .pdf files published on STIS for the BRZ:

Use only gasoline containing a maximum of 10% ethanol.
DO NOT use any flex-fuel or gasoline that could contain more than 10% ethanol, including from any pump labeled E15, E30, E50, E85 (which are only some examples of fuel containing more than 10% ethanol)
●If you use gasohol in your SUBARU, be sure that it has an octane rating
no lower than 93 AKI.
●●SUBARU DOES NOT recommend the use of gasoline containing methanol

■Fuel types
Unleaded gasoline (93 AKI [Research Octane Number 98] or higher)
If unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 93 AKI (98 RON) is not available,
unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI (95 RON) may be
used with no detriment to engine durability or driveability.

--
My dad just read some posts from people who switched from 93 octane w/ ethanol to 91 octane w/o ethanol had the chirp go away. So it may actually be the additives in people's fuels (ethanol) that increase likelihood of chirping.

Also my buddy with an FR-S noticed the chirp was less apparent when he filled with 93 but recently he had to use 91 and the chirp came back more pronounced. He had no comment whether ethanol was in either.
thats because of ecu tuning.... not the components. people running e85 with a tune arent having issues
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #95
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
In the devotion to accuracy realm, that was me, I have #9022, which is 4 cars off from the cutoff...and I do have the chirp. I will probably wait a little while, just to be sure the part I get is the updated one. Probably around the time its time to change to winter wheels.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #96
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC BRZ View Post
Thank God. I have a service appt scheduled for Tuesday morning. Gonna mention this along with several other issues.
They may know what you're talking about, but they won't be able to do anything about it until Subaru releases the TSB for it. The Scion TSB is useless to BRZ owners.

I'm also curious to see how many US FR-S owners have the TSB performed and their hpfp and rail assemblies replaced with the SAME (not revised) parts as it was originally equipped with and chirping with, only to find that once the engine is HOT again, running e10 gasoline, and idling, they will hear the chirping loud and clear again.

Just like this guy, from this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0tym3 View Post
Hey guys,

I've said it before and I'll say it again lol. Take the car to the dealer. I took mine in and found out its the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump with a new one and now the noise is gone

No more trying to find gas that cancels out the noise.

Quick fix guys.
Quote:
They didn't just replace it with the same fuel pump. It's a new one that Toyota built because the old one is faulty.

As for how many KM's. Not too much. Been about 200KM so far and yes I fill up on 91 all the time and drift like a maniac

I'll let you guys know if it comes back in the next 800KM but I think it's fixed.
Quote:
I got mine replaced by the dealer about a week and a bit ago. Chirping noise has come back They replaced the fuel pump if anyone is wondering.

I will be going back in sometime this week to complain.
Quote:
Looks like the part was SU003-00328
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #97
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
They may know what you're talking about, but they won't be able to do anything about it until Subaru releases the TSB for it. The Scion TSB is useless to BRZ owners.

I'm also curious to see how many US FR-S owners have the TSB performed and their hpfp and rail assemblies replaced with the SAME (not revised) parts as it was originally equipped with and chirping with, only to find that once the engine is HOT again, running e10 gasoline, and idling, they will hear the chirping loud and clear again.

Just like this guy, from this thread:
I think that's what alot of people are afraid of. Thats why I am going to wait until its time to change to my winter wheels (~1.5 months), which will hopefully be enough time to get the new part into rotation.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #98
Z0rr0

Drives: 2013 Raven 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Taking my car to the dealer monday.
Z0rr0 is offline   Reply With Quote