follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #561
soconfoozed

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sociable View Post
What will this noise sound like in 4-5 years when the car is out of warranty? Will it effect reliability? Nobody knows, and I believe that's why it would be lemon law eligible. There's also the problem of the fact that the noise developed AFTER I bought the car. Had it done it during the test drive, I could have asked myself if I was ok with it. Instead, its basically like ordering a car without a spoiler and having one appear 800 miles into ownership- does it affect drivability? No, but its not what I ordered and wasn't given a choice.
I see you're adapting significant portions of my earlier arguments
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #562
Mr. Sociable
Hombabe

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by soconfoozed View Post
I see you're adapting significant portions of my earlier arguments
I've been on your side since the beginning.
Mr. Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #563
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
At least you could sell the spoiler...try selling the crickets!
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #564
Mikes86

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
This is a good point. This defect needs to be either really fixed via TSB soon, or placed into recall status so all cars are protected for their lifetime. Making us travel to dealers for multiple visits is a waste for everyone involved and will cost more than using a new part.
FYI just because they make something a recall, doesn't mean it will be protected for "lifetime" usually if it's a safety thing they won't have an expiration day but if its not safety related a lot of the times they will put a time limit on them.
Mikes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikes86 For This Useful Post:
Norkoastal (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #565
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
isnt there a TSB on the "cricket" noise? my friends Eos makes the same noise im sure its the HPFP making that sound. if it isnt normal id like mine fixed . but the TSB report says its normal and non detrimental to the engine so i say leave it? i just dont want to be a whinny bitch to my dealer yah know? i just got my car thursday it drives great i dont have any trans issues no idle issue no rattling issues no condensation issues. i have the cricket sound but it doesnt seem to effect the performance or drivability of the car.

i see the TSB says its the plunger in the HPFP but seems people have gone for repair and it fixes nothing i almost feel as if it generates this sound because it is spose to? idk i am probably wrong i just like to think there is nothing wrong. i have 325miles on the car now . obviously ive checked all fluids everything is exactly where its spose to be. ive been doing a break in like a lot of members have i havnt reved past 3500rpm havent floored the pedal but toyota says to keep RPM inconsistent during break in so ive been shifting at different rev points. maybe people have issues because they beat the hell out of the car too soon and it doesnt like it ? all speculation.
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #566
R2RO

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2013 FR-S(2JZ Build)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Set up a appointment, getting this fixed soon
R2RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #567
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFA20 View Post
isnt there a TSB on the "cricket" noise? my friends Eos makes the same noise im sure its the HPFP making that sound. if it isnt normal id like mine fixed . but the TSB report says its normal and non detrimental to the engine so i say leave it? i just dont want to be a whinny bitch to my dealer yah know? i just got my car thursday it drives great i dont have any trans issues no idle issue no rattling issues no condensation issues. i have the cricket sound but it doesnt seem to effect the performance or drivability of the car.

i see the TSB says its the plunger in the HPFP but seems people have gone for repair and it fixes nothing i almost feel as if it generates this sound because it is spose to? idk i am probably wrong i just like to think there is nothing wrong. i have 325miles on the car now . obviously ive checked all fluids everything is exactly where its spose to be. ive been doing a break in like a lot of members have i havnt reved past 3500rpm havent floored the pedal but toyota says to keep RPM inconsistent during break in so ive been shifting at different rev points. maybe people have issues because they beat the hell out of the car too soon and it doesnt like it ? all speculation.
The TSB doesnt say that it is normal. It says that a knocking type noise is normal. A high pitched squeaking noise after the car has been running for a while is the "crickets" issue. Be sure to check the videos to ensure that you are hearing the correct noise and not just the standard sound of the engine. There is a standard clicking (or ticking as the TSB says) noise that the engine makes that is very normal. And the paperwork for the TSB is on the first page of this thread.

To your second point, I didnt bother with a break in period on mine, went above 3500 rpms, and havent had any problems with it (knock on wood). Not saying that everyone should or shouldnt do that, but I couldnt help it and didnt really feel it was necessary. Not that I floored it every time, but i certainly did a few times just because racecar.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #568
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Dealership is ordering me a second fuel assembly since the crickets came back.

Sent from my flux capacitor using Taptalk
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #569
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
Dealership is ordering me a second fuel assembly since the crickets came back.

Was this part not in the initial TSB? If so, glad to see new measures being taken to silence the crickets. I'm not a fan of swapping defective parts with unconfirmed revised parts.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #570
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
They are replacing the same parts as before. They said it may have time from an earlier batch.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #571
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
I could probably get it on Monday, if you still cant find it. Just remind me.
Reminding
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
LeeMaster (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #572
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhei View Post
The TSB doesnt say that it is normal. It says that a knocking type noise is normal. A high pitched squeaking noise after the car has been running for a while is the "crickets" issue. Be sure to check the videos to ensure that you are hearing the correct noise and not just the standard sound of the engine. There is a standard clicking (or ticking as the TSB says) noise that the engine makes that is very normal. And the paperwork for the TSB is on the first page of this thread.

To your second point, I didnt bother with a break in period on mine, went above 3500 rpms, and havent had any problems with it (knock on wood). Not saying that everyone should or shouldnt do that, but I couldnt help it and didnt really feel it was necessary. Not that I floored it every time, but i certainly did a few times just because racecar.
So if you were me would you bring it back to the dealer for the cricket fix? or should i wait a little till it gets really resolved?

I dont want my car to get hurt im pretty sure its cricket sound. sounds like exactly like crickets chirping under the hood on the driver side by the intake manifold im pretty sure thats where the HPFP is yes?

I will call them if you think i should bring it in right away.
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #573
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
If you have the issue...i would print off the TSB and take it in to get it fixed. They say it wont hurt anything, but i dont believe they know for sure as nobody has high miles on the car. A squeak now could become a leak or a broken fuel pump at 40-50k. You paid for a fully working product, might as well push them to ensure that is what you received.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #574
jduffy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky4177 View Post
Didn't know it required premium gas. Never looked in the manual to see what type to use? I don't have any gas stations that sell 0% ethanol gas near me either. I'll start using premium gas now. What type do you use??
Run a couple of tanks of premium Shell and see what happens.

I'd be curious to know if it clears up your chirping.
jduffy is offline   Reply With Quote