follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #15
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Point taken... but try arguing with the FAA about the "intent" behind article 14, part 117. Plus, and in my mind way more importantly, I can see better with my lo-beams and fog-lights on simultaneously. Properly mounted and aimed fog lights help illuminate the lane/road edges/sides and immediate forward path.. say, half a second or so unless you are crawling forward at walking speed... the lo-beams take care of the next second or two forward. Perfect combo. Sure, I could put a rotating beacon on my roof and be seen, but so what.. that hardly matters if I can't see what's in front of me in fog and drive off the road.

No?
There's been times where it seemed better to have just the running lights for me, but we get some thick shit in CT.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:02 AM   #16
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
There's been times where it seemed better to have just the running lights for me, but we get some thick shit in CT.

The absolute WORST pea-soup fog I've ever seen was down on the Outer Banks in North Carolina, between 4:30am - 6:00am. I could barely see the front of my car, much less more than a few feet of road. Not fun.

WAY off topic.. was at my home base airport a few days ago, and a guy had just come in from Long Island in a small twin... had wing boots, but still he left PILES of 1" thick ice on the tarmac after flying in. I didn't sleep that night, just thinking about it. You professional dudes have my respect; ice scares the crap outta me.
p1l0t (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #17
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
The absolute WORST pea-soup fog I've ever seen was down on the Outer Banks in North Carolina, between 4:30am - 6:00am. I could barely see the front of my car, much less more than a few feet of road. Not fun.

WAY off topic.. was at my home base airport a few days ago, and a guy had just come in from Long Island in a small twin... had wing boots, but still he left PILES of 1" thick ice on the tarmac after flying in. I didn't sleep that night, just thinking about it. You professional dudes have my respect; ice scares the crap outta me.
He probably didn't sleep that night either. I only fly the club planes VFR in the winter unless it's abnormally warm. At work, in the PC12 we have boots, which are OK as long as the icing is only moderate. They fail though sometimes probably more often than any other system (usually only little section but still). The CJ3 we have heated wings... knock on wood but I have yet to see ice that can beat them. You turn those bad boys on and within 5 seconds the ice just shears off the wing. They also almost never fail because it's just hot bleed air heating a metal leading edge instead of some balloon thing that has to inflate and deflate. The $10 million dollar jets I get to play with at work certainly have some little advantages over the $100k piston singles that I can afford to fly for fun.

p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (02-17-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #18
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Unless some company created a relay or something similar for this purpose, then you cannot accomplish this with the factory wiring. You'd have to install an on/off switch along with custom wiring so you can control when you want the fog lights on. With that said, its not that hard to do, almost every fog light install guide on this forum is done via custom wiring/wiring harness.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
it's really not that hard to do with the majority of the factory wiring either. all the relay needs is an alternative power signal.