follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
Jay161

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UPDATE**

Monday I got a call saying it was fixed, the OCV was defective (same one that was originally replaced, sounds too coincidental to me given the situation). They apparently went over the entire car, changed all the fluids and filters so now its like were starting over again.

Well The service manager drove the car to and from work for three days (I asked them to put some miles on it and make sure its fixed), drives great no issues. I told them it better be, just the OCV, if there are anymore issues, even the slightest noise I WILL be back.

Drove the car home and put about 100 miles on it so after the dealer did the work it has about 200 miles on it now. Going to see what happens now. I'm praying it was just an odd coincidence given the fact that my luck trends like this and that said this is the last chance I'm trusting the dealer to fix what could be their mistake.
Jay161 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay161 For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (10-22-2017), strat61caster (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #16
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
fingers crossed!
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #17
CTB727

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@Jay161

I've had nearly identical issues that you have had.

June of 2016, about 48,000 miles I had my motor pulled to get an oil leak fixed under warranty. They resealed the oil pan and cam plate.

September of 2016, about 52,000 miles and I had my first CEL with P000B. They replaced the OCV and I went about my way.

April of 2017 at about 65,000 miles my car threw a code for P0016. Dealer replaced the OCV and it came back after 8 miles. Took the car back and they replaced the cam sprocket and ECU.

June of 2017 at about 69,000 miles I spun rod bearing #4. Replaced short block.

Not even a week later it threw another P000B. Dealer deemed that the short block had a defective main bearing, causing low oil pressure. So they replaced the short block again, along with a timing cover, another cam sprocket and another ECU.

600 miles later, and it threw another P000B. And this time it sounded like it still had a knock ever since I got it back from the dealer.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the metal shavings from the initial spun bearing have fully contaminated every oil passage in the motor.
CTB727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
BestFRS

Drives: 2013 FRS
I am going thru s spun bearing on my 13 frs with only 45k mile:

April 2017
Oil leak and reseal timing cover

April 2018
Oil leak again and reseal timing cover

June 2018
Oil leak again and they replaced timing cover

July 2018
Oil leak again and dealer trying to figure out issue with Toyota

Sept 2018
Engine rebuild with new cams, rod bearing etcs etcs. Can was in the shop for 2 months

Jan 2019
Finally spun bearing

Been dealing with Toyota and they even extended my warranty for total 8 years.

I am tired of going thru endless repair. I pushing them for a brand new engine
Otherwise I might be coming for new short blocks every few months

Never skip any required Maintanance and oil is full with only 500mikes when spun bearing occur
BestFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BestFRS For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #19
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
LS swap!
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #20
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestFRS View Post
I am going thru s spun bearing on my 13 frs with only 45k mile:

April 2017
Oil leak and reseal timing cover

April 2018
Oil leak again and reseal timing cover

June 2018
Oil leak again and they replaced timing cover

July 2018
Oil leak again and dealer trying to figure out issue with Toyota

Sept 2018
Engine rebuild with new cams, rod bearing etcs etcs. Can was in the shop for 2 months

Jan 2019
Finally spun bearing

Been dealing with Toyota and they even extended my warranty for total 8 years.

I am tired of going thru endless repair. I pushing them for a brand new engine
Otherwise I might be coming for new short blocks every few months

Never skip any required Maintanance and oil is full with only 500mikes when spun bearing occur
Time to trade that puppy in -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #21
BestFRS

The dealer has replaced the short block under warranty and I am going to pick up the car today. Will see how it run
Old 02-19-2019, 07:06 AM   #22
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Another case of using too much sealant and blowing the engine? Did they say why this happened?
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #23
BestFRS

Nope they did not and the only replaced the short block on one side and now makes me worry all the metal shaving that got into the other side and how do they clean it. On top of that they put a dent and scratch on my bumper and fender. Shitty job and never care about customers car. Unbelievable
Old 02-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #24
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestFRS View Post
Nope they did not and the only replaced the short block on one side and now makes me worry all the metal shaving that got into the other side and how do they clean it. On top of that they put a dent and scratch on my bumper and fender. Shitty job and never care about customers car. Unbelievable
The term "short block" refers to a fully assembled block with crank, pistons, rods, bearings and rings. What makes you think they only did a block half? A block half is like 1000 and a whole short block is 1800. Seems a dealer wouldn't bother doing one block half and then spend all that time reassembling everything and risking another failure. It's worth the extra money to have a plug and play repair.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Rampage (02-20-2019), Summerwolf (02-20-2019), swfrs (02-20-2019), Tcoat (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Another case of using too much sealant and blowing the engine? Did they say why this happened?
After having the timing cover on and off at least 5 times I think that is a pretty safe bet!
I have been saying that improper sealant (even from the factory) was the major cause of the bearing failures in the early 13s but was shouted down by most that it can't possibly be that and had to be something else. Now we are seeing that it can indeed be that and nothing else.
I feel some what vindicated.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #26
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
After having the timing cover on and off at least 5 times I think that is a pretty safe bet!
I have been saying that improper sealant (even from the factory) was the major cause of the bearing failures in the early 13s but was shouted down by most that it can't possibly be that and had to be something else. Now we are seeing that it can indeed be that and nothing else.
I feel some what vindicated.
There does seem to be a pattern with timing cover reseals but I still am confused about how loose packing in the cover area would ever make it back to the pan or anywhere that would restrict flow. Excessive packing on the timing cover also wouldn't protrude into any galleries that I can think of. In the case of BestFRS's car they rebuilt the heads which means they would be cleaning packing and reapplying packing in an area that would easily make it down to the pan. Same for the recalls, they work on packing in the head. There are some areas on the block that could also protrude into oil galeries. But the block isn't touched on the recall or on the work BestFRS had done.

Edit: You know what, going through my pictures from my rebuild, the bottom of the timing cover is wide open to the pan. So yeah loose packing would get right into the pan and into the pickup filter.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
There does seem to be a pattern with timing cover reseals but I still am confused about how loose packing in the cover area would ever make it back to the pan or anywhere that would restrict flow. Excessive packing on the timing cover also wouldn't protrude into any galleries that I can think of. In the case of BestFRS's car they rebuilt the heads which means they would be cleaning packing and reapplying packing in an area that would easily make it down to the pan. Same for the recalls, they work on packing in the head. There are some areas on the block that could also protrude into oil galeries. But the block isn't touched on the recall or on the work BestFRS had done.

Edit: You know what, going through my pictures from my rebuild, the bottom of the timing cover is wide open to the pan. So yeah loose packing would get right into the pan and into the pickup filter.
The timing cover is the heart of the oil system on these engines. One bit of sealant breaking off can plug up the works. You may never even find it if it is shoved in a gallery someplace.

This guy explains it well.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOtYl2k6abI[/ame]
humfrz (02-27-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #28
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The timing cover is the heart of the oil system on these engines. One bit of sealant breaking off can plug up the works. You may never even find it if it is shoved in a gallery someplace.

This guy explains it well.

Yes the pump is inside the cover but it isn't open to the cover. It's all sealed off under all those plates as seen in the video and away from the edges of the cover where all the packing is. So no galleries would be directly exposed. The problem would come from the packing draining back into the pan and then clogging the pickup filter. But after playing with this packing I am not even the slightest bit convinced that excessive packing leads to material breaking away and falling into the engine. This crap is incredibly elastic. I pulled at some of the excess packing on my engine just to see if it was plausible and it doesn't just flake off. You really have to work at it to make it break off. Actually MRT has another video where he pulls at this stuff and although it breaks off you can see it takes some stretching. I've used various FIPGs in the past and this Threebond stuff is nuts. It doesn't get hard as a rock and brittle. My opinion is that early models had issues not from excess breaking off but from excess oozing into galleries. Not in the timing cover though because the packing is not even remotely close to any galeries. It's the 4 drains from the heads, the cam caps (which the recall instructions warn about) and the packing between the block halves that would block galeries. But my theory doesn't explain the failures after repacks. Maybe those failures come from packing being scrapped off during cleaning and then landing in the pan which would end up in the pickup filter. But it's hard to believe techs would be that careless.

But It's easy to visually inspect every gallery on this car with the exception of the crank. All the others you can look from one end to the other (after removing plugs). To check my crank I simply blew compressed air in there to see if anything came out. Nothing did. There was no packing in my drained oil, oil filter, pickup filter, pan, pump, galeries, OCV filters, cams, cam gears... nowhere. All I found was packing blocking 60% of one of the 4 drains leaving one of my heads. I'll just have to assume that was the cause of my failure. I've seen others report blockage of the 5th main where the halves are glued together but mine wasn't blocked there.

I suspect if Toyota/Subaru finds a pattern to these post-recall failures that they will issue some sort of revision to the documentation. It would be interesting to see what that revision is.