follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #71
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
Yes it's a relatively simple "4 cylinder engine" but it's also in a boxer configuration that isn't nearly as simple as a regular inline 4, that the average tech won't have experience on. I would argue that a boxer 4 is more complex than an i6 despite 2 less cylinders.

With pressure from superiors and time restrictions in addition to human error, it is realistic to assume that mistakes will be made during the recall as evident by others already complaining of new CEL, new noise, and seized engines that did not exist prior to bringing in their car.

If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. Simple as that.
When the "talented senior techs" succeed at performing a routine oil change service without ******* up the car , then they might be ready to replace valve springs.
So when they arrive at this level of expertise , i might consider taking my car in for the recall
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan.chalkley For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-25-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #72
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
When the "talented senior techs" succeed at performing a routine oil change service without ******* up the car , then they might be ready to replace valve springs.
So when they arrive at this level of expertise , i might consider taking my car in for the recall
Most oil changes go to the 19 year old kid who was washing cars 2 weeks ago. Engine tear downs aren't going to the same guy. I always make sure to include a line or two of electrical/driveability diagnosis when I take my cars in for service, ensures they'll go to someone with a bit of experience.

It isn't hard to build an engine. Follow the instructions, use the special tools and don't break shit. Pretty much sums up the entire line of work.

When you drop the valvebody on a 7 speed Benz transmission there's two parts you have to line up. A drain tube and the shift sensor. There are two service bulletins, don't forget the drain tube, and don't forget the shift sensor. That means multiple people failed to do so.

Follow the instructions. Engines don't blow themselves up.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-17-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 04:32 AM   #73
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Most oil changes go to the 19 year old kid who was washing cars 2 weeks ago. Engine tear downs aren't going to the same guy. I always make sure to include a line or two of electrical/driveability diagnosis when I take my cars in for service, ensures they'll go to someone with a bit of experience.

It isn't hard to build an engine. Follow the instructions, use the special tools and don't break shit. Pretty much sums up the entire line of work.

When you drop the valvebody on a 7 speed Benz transmission there's two parts you have to line up. A drain tube and the shift sensor. There are two service bulletins, don't forget the drain tube, and don't forget the shift sensor. That means multiple people failed to do so.

Follow the instructions. Engines don't blow themselves up.
My three sons are experts at blowing up engines and crashing cars , so i don't let them near brz.
But they take the camry,corolla and zooki.
Also when my cars are at the workshop i request no wash,vacuum or test drive (just more opportunity for damage).
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #74
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This might be a dumb question but do they replace your engine oil after doing the valve spring recall?
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #75
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yep. The coolant and A/C gas too.
Everything has to be drained to pull the block so they can flip it around to work on each bank of cylinders.

Pretty sure they leave the window wash fluid. They'll charge extra if you ask them to drain that.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #76
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Yep. The coolant and A/C gas too.
Everything has to be drained to pull the block so they can flip it around to work on each bank of cylinders.

Pretty sure they leave the window wash fluid. They'll charge extra if you ask them to drain that.
Wow i'm glad I asked. Was about to change my oil before taking it in for the recall but I guess not.
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #77
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My appointment us next Friday

I made my appointment a few weeks ago at local Toyota dealer so due to drop it off next Friday. When setting it up with the service dept, they told me they had to check the schedule of their 2 mechanics who are qualified to perform this recall repair. Guess that should give me confidence that they won't be tossing it to just any mechanic or shop boy.

i have made great efforts to keep it in pristine condition so may take some detailed video with commentary indicating the time / date should it be returned with a mystery dent / scratch ....
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #78
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3188530 please leave an entry here if you have time and had engine failure shortly after the recall work was performed.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #79
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Drives: 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
Garage
OK, so I feel like I've looked around and searched for this but the place I saw the VIN range was early in this thread (zn6-002028~zn6-031766). Mine (Mfd. 02/13) seems to be higher than that range (D1722XXX). Unless I'm misunderstanding numbers.

Apparently the range was updated? But I can't seem to find the actual new range numbers.

Unfortunately when I check the Toyota site...it comes up as affected. On the NHTSA site, it says affected.

I have yet to receive a notice in the mail though.

Anyone else not get a notice yet, but pop up on the sites?

I have no desire to have the engine opened up after all these failure reports. The odds seem to be much better in going with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But I'm still curious.

Last edited by squall leonhart; 03-11-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: added manufacture date
squall leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #80
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Did you buy used, or move since the purchase?
They may not have a current address.
Any dealer should be able to pin-point your applicability.

But, yeah. If it shows up on the web gonkulators, you're probably in the soup.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
squall leonhart (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #81
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall leonhart View Post
OK, so I feel like I've looked around and searched for this but the place I saw the VIN range was early in this thread (zn6-002028~zn6-031766). Mine (Mfd. 02/13) seems to be higher than that range (D1722XXX). Unless I'm misunderstanding numbers.

Apparently the range was updated? But I can't seem to find the actual new range numbers.

Unfortunately when I check the Toyota site...it comes up as affected. On the NHTSA site, it says affected.

I have yet to receive a notice in the mail though.

Anyone else not get a notice yet, but pop up on the sites?

I have no desire to have the engine opened up after all these failure reports. The odds seem to be much better in going with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But I'm still curious.
No.

But, maybe you don't want that "Dear John" letter -

I got my letter a few weeks ago. It sat on my desk for a few weeks, then it made it's way up on a book shelf, just above my line of sight, where it just might stay -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
squall leonhart (03-11-2019), why? (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #82
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Garage
Nope, I don't want it! I half dread checking the mail these days!
Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #83
oaroyale

Drives: Black BRZ
I think I am in the same boat. My VIN was originally too early for the recall. I called the dealer and they told me I have no recall, they don't know what I am talking about. Then I got the letter in the mail a couple of months later. If I go to MySubaru, it still says I have no recall, but the recall shows up on the DOT website. I am going in next week. Hope it doesn't blow up.
oaroyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #84
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Did you buy used, or move since the purchase?
They may not have a current address.
Any dealer should be able to pin-point your applicability.

But, yeah. If it shows up on the web gonkulators, you're probably in the soup.
Yeah, I bought it used, but haven't moved since buying. I figured it may be they still had the previous owner. Though I've had it since July of last year. But I suppose those things take awhile to update.

Weird thing (to me) though was I checked the Toyota recall site using my license plate number. So they have it under my current registration...so I'd imagine they should have my address...

In the end, it doesn't change anything. I don't think I'm taking it in either way until I stop seeing horror stories.