follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #57
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Even the fabled 90s Supra, that is finally starting to reach collector prices, is not getting much more than its original selling price when you take inflation into account.
Inflation is where many trip up when they look at values.
Hear it all the time with classic car noobs "This 1955 Chev cost only $2500 new and now it is worth ten times that" Well no shit. That $2500 could have been the annual salary for many in 1955 so I would hope it gets better now. Inflation matters!
Dadhawk (02-05-2019), eastendraceshop (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #58
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No one said to invest in a 86. That's idiotic.
Cars are terrible investments compared to S&P.

However, it will be next to impossible to find a clean 86 in the future.

Finding a clean, low miles, unmolested, manual, non-riced, non-salvage is already very hard to find TODAY.
In 20 years, they might only sell for $5k, but you will never ever find one for yourself.
In fact, I have NEVER seen an 86 that is stock.....except mine. I am never selling mine.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:51 PM   #59
jrb363

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post

However, it will be next to impossible to find a clean 86 in the future.

Finding a clean, low miles, unmolested, manual, non-riced, non-salvage is already very hard to find TODAY.
In 20 years, they might only sell for $5k, but you will never ever find one for yourself.
In fact, I have NEVER seen an 86 that is stock.....except mine. I am never selling mine.
Saying never is where you get into trouble. I agree it will be difficult but not impossible, especially if they release an improved 2nd generation.

Also: My 2015 is completely stock. Been waiting years to own one of these and I want to appreciate it as intended for the first few years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jrb363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:00 AM   #60
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
This. ^^^

Cars in general are terrible investments. I can imagine some exceptions like the 911R were Porsche sold it to certain guys and managed to raise its price in a few months period, but Subaru is not a Porsche and the BRZ is not a 911R!

Apart from this, I don't find it necessarily bad a car to be modified. People saying that someone should avoid non-stock used cars they just don't know how to separate a good modified from a bad modified. I would always prefer buying a good modified and well preserved used car than a stock used car.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 06:41 AM   #61
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Buy new car

Mod new car

Thrash new car

Sell in 4 to 5 years

Repeat
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #62
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Please read the article in the first post. This car is not about investing for the owner or making money for the manufacturer. It is about building a car meant for driving for the engineers/designers and driving it for the owners. I don't know any other car that was built/designed with such a focus on driving perfection at this price point.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #63
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Cars in general are terrible investments. I can imagine some exceptions like the 911R were Porsche sold it to certain guys and managed to raise its price in a few months period, but Subaru is not a Porsche and the BRZ is not a 911R!
No car is an investment.

Automobiles you see at Barrett-Jackson auctions worth 7 figures are not investments if used as cars. At the point where they become "investments" they are just mechanical works of art and are a mechanism for bartering some impugned value just like Rembrandts or cash.

Take that same vehicle out on the road (or track) on a regular basis and suddenly it's not worth nearly as much.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #64
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
No car is an investment.

Automobiles you see at Barrett-Jackson auctions worth 7 figures are not investments if used as cars. At the point where they become "investments" they are just mechanical works of art and are a mechanism for bartering some impugned value just like Rembrandts or cash.

Take that same vehicle out on the road (or track) on a regular basis and suddenly it's not worth nearly as much.
Yes, I know what you mean. I have my car 4.5 years and it has less than 6k miles. Most of them were for the necessary break in period and doing after some trips for installing and testing certain mods. I just don't expect that it'll get too much value. It is a Subaru after all. A good brand but certainly not a premium brand. The main reason of keeping it low mileage was basically a coincidence and not because waiting to get back any invested money in a distant future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-05-2019), Tcoat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #65
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
No car is an investment.

Even then they can shot up or plummet in value based on current fads or trends. I watch the auction every year and it is amazing how certain makes or models can swing. One year early 'Vettes will go for way over their estimated value and then the next year identical cars won't even hit the reserve and not be sold at all. Last year was the year of cloned muscle cars. Some of them were selling for the prices of the real things.
Historically the top prices paid have been for literal pieces of art with one off vehicles. The original Batmobile is in that top list.
https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/gal...jackson-010514

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes, I know what you mean. I have my car 4.5 years and it has less than 6k miles. Most of them were for the necessary break in period and doing after some trips for installing and testing certain mods. I just don't expect that it'll get too much value. It is a Subaru after all. A good brand but certainly not a premium brand. The main reason of keeping it low mileage was basically a coincidence and not because waiting to get back any invested money in a distant future.
You and I on such opposite ends of the mileage spectrum after 4.5 years that the gap is almost unbelievable.
Dadhawk (02-05-2019), nikitopo (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #66
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
...You and I on such opposite ends of the mileage spectrum after 4.5 years that the gap is almost unbelievable.
No kidding. @nikitopo would have to drive his car at his current rate for 108.777 years to have the same mileage I have on mine now after 6.5 years.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #67
XPLSV

Drives: 2015 FR-S RS1.0
Quote:

I picked up a 2015 RS 1.0 last week with only 6600 miles on it. The gentleman swapped out the horn and added the center arm rest...that was it. Mint condition. I've been looking around on and off for quite awhile and you are correct on finding a low mile, unmolested manual...the number of salvage titled ones amazed me. I'm over 8000 miles on it now and I bought this car because I wanted a fuel efficient, yet fun driving, car to be my high mileage vehicle. The mileage is better than my other vehicles, motorcycle excluded, but I am happy with that. Will still take proper care of it like my other vehicles. That said...and a pretty important point to me...it is a great driving and very fun vehicle!
XPLSV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XPLSV For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #68
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You and I on such opposite ends of the mileage spectrum after 4.5 years that the gap is almost unbelievable.
Quote:
No kidding. @nikitopo would have to drive his car at his current rate for 108.777 years to have the same mileage I have on mine now after 6.5 years.
At least it has given till now a few good street racing fights. It is not a daily driven car, so I have different targets. There was also a plan to join this year some official DMSB (German Motor Sport Federation) races, but lets say that the Germans didn't accept it in a "polite" way. I'm doing now some other plans for the future, but we'll see how things will go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-05-2019), Tcoat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #69
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The other thing I noticed is that most of the decent cars for sale are by dealer flippers. Seems very rate to see a good car being sold by the actual owner.

Low miles.
Manual gearbox
Clean title.
Bone Stock. Not riced and modded.
Private party sale.

This is a rare find.
I got very lucky
It will be even more rare in the future.
I might buy an extra one and store it somewhere.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrantedTaken For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-20-2019), Docdoc (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #70
Docdoc

Drives: Scion FR-S 2014
I think this car will be worth something in the future, but only a 2013 version that has low mileage and from some miracle has been completely un-modded. It will be the same as Civics in that since, the rarest of them with be a completely stock car.

Docdoc