follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #421
Rookie84

Drives: '02 GS300, '12 S80 T5, '15 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD86 View Post
Can't help you on that one mate, sorry. Have you tried contacting them? I'm going to Sema this year so will keep an eye out for them.
But I wasn't waiting for them as I have my own solution to the problem. Test fitting prototype 3, made using a spare instrument cluster I had. Still needs a bit of a tidy up and some sheeting to close up the gaps on the side. But I'm almost there...
Attachment 122021
Attachment 122022
That is very nice.

I e-mailed them but got no response. If you see them in SEMA and can get some info, please share!
Rookie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #422
2jayzee

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Defi red racer gauges in a triple gauge dash pod. The gauges are recessed and angled just enough to make it easy for the driver to see them. I wrapped the pod in white carbon vinyl. First time doing it and it came out pretty good. Not 100% perfect but good enough for now.
Attached Images

2jayzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2jayzee For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-01-2016), Lonewolf (11-07-2015), snidd111 (10-09-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 01:47 AM   #423
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCanuck View Post
post a pic when it's installed, very interested in this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
After finding the picture above in the BRZ, I'm not sure I like how it looks as it still covers parts of the dash displays. I might be better off going with 3 on the pillar and 2 on the blockhead as I mentioned above.
But from looking at these two pictures side by side, it seems this is an impossibility...

Okay, back to my original plan, unless anyone has any better ideas.
Quote:
You get the idea.
Quote:
From reading through this thread, I am under the impression Prime Motoring no longer will create this custom solution.

I have contacted Ortiz Custom Pods to see if they can custom create this solution for me. Please stand by...

Quote:
They are building it for me
After a long six months wait, Ortiz finally came through with the my custom pod. They missed shipping the custom trim piece for the buttons, so I will post a picture when it arrives. My request is now an option on their website.
http://www.ortizcustompods.com/scion.html
http://www.ortizcustompods.com/subaru.html
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #424
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
After a long six months wait, Ortiz finally came through with the my custom pod. They missed shipping the custom trim piece for the buttons, so I will post a picture when it arrives. My request is now an option on their website.
http://www.ortizcustompods.com/scion.html
http://www.ortizcustompods.com/subaru.html
looking at ordering this, but on their site i see no info/pic of the relocation panel, is it in fact included for the 150$ price?
Old 11-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #425
Chad86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadeck View Post
looking at ordering this, but on their site i see no info/pic of the relocation panel, is it in fact included for the 150$ price?
Yes. I will post up details and a pic of the trim piece later today.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #426
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes. I will post up details and a pic of the trim piece later today.

thats fine, i was just trying to confirm it was included before i placed an order. thanks!
Old 11-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #427
Chad86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadeck View Post
thats fine, i was just trying to confirm it was included before i placed an order. thanks!
Just checked my invoice and it was $165 including the button relocation option. You have to provide them with the trim piece.
Also, it is funny how the site states no modification required. When I went to fit the gauge cluster it will not fit into place on the right hand side, due to inner dash plastic conflicting with the pod tunnel.
I will have to get some dremel work done to get this to fit. Other than the long wait time I am extremely satisfied with the final product. Some minor imperfections on the product, but I found this as well with the powdercoating on the MSA triple pillar pod as well. I may end up painting the cluster and/or the triple guage/pillars piano black to eliminate all imperfections.

Below is a picture of the custom trim piece. In the meantime I will try cleaning this up as there is a bunch of glue mess around the buttons.
In the end everything will fit together for an awesome setup.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chad86; 11-07-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #428
Anal0g

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's hard to tell from pics, but is the left gauge pod angled towards the driver? Could you post pics of how the gauge cluster looks when installed?
Anal0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:11 PM   #429
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
made it myself.

didn't have to relocate shit. 2 52mm gauges (oil temp & pressure)

just go get some PVC pipe and mold it into an em pod, you'll spend maybe 70$ all said and done with a new donor core (its 35$ for a new cluster trim piece online)

Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jive Turkey For This Useful Post:
Irace86 (01-24-2016)
Old 11-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #430
Chad86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal0g View Post
It's hard to tell from pics, but is the left gauge pod angled towards the driver? Could you post pics of how the gauge cluster looks when installed?
They're both pretty well straight on. I will post plenty of pics in my build thread as things progress in the coming weeks...

Old 11-25-2015, 02:31 AM   #431
KritiK

Drives: Toyota gt86
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Here is my depo racing 4in1 after install
KritiK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KritiK For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (01-12-2016), Lonewolf (11-25-2015), Rosticles (11-28-2015)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #432
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I feel like such a noob when it comes to gauges. Why have so many gauges?

OK, I think I understand the argument about how bad the stock gauges are, so let me restate the position: the stock water temp gauge for instance may have only a few output signals like low, normal and high, so the accuracy isn't good enough; or for the oil pressure warning light, the light is either on or off, good or bad, so it isn't good enough.

But I guess the question is why isn't it good enough? And why is that guy who gets a fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, afr, egt, boost, vacuum, and maybe other gauges I didn't list, not just completely over doing it?

I searched, but what I can't figure out is if the water temp is relaying engine temperature and oil temperature is also relaying engine temperature then why have both? And why is there a need for knowing such small changes? If the engine gets too hot then stop or drive slow, right, to cool it? If the fuel pressure drops the AFR is going to get dramatically lean, so besides having an immediate answer as to why the AFR is jacked, the fuel pressure gauge seems like overkill if someone has a WB, right? I get the EGT is a good tuning option, but is it a necessary monitor for engine health?

In short, I feel like the most important gauge is an AFR gauge from a WB because the stock warning lights/gauges are sufficient to protect against engine harm/failure. The other necessary gauge is boost for boosted cars.

Please educate me because my thinking goes against what almost everyone is doing, so it must be wrong :ion: :respect:
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #433
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
I feel like such a noob when it comes to gauges. Why have so many gauges?

OK, I think I understand the argument about how bad the stock gauges are, so let me restate the position: the stock water temp gauge for instance may have only a few output signals like low, normal and high, so the accuracy isn't good enough; or for the oil pressure warning light, the light is either on or off, good or bad, so it isn't good enough.

But I guess the question is why isn't it good enough? And why is that guy who gets a fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, afr, egt, boost, vacuum, and maybe other gauges I didn't list, not just completely over doing it?

I searched, but what I can't figure out is if the water temp is relaying engine temperature and oil temperature is also relaying engine temperature then why have both? And why is there a need for knowing such small changes? If the engine gets too hot then stop or drive slow, right, to cool it? If the fuel pressure drops the AFR is going to get dramatically lean, so besides having an immediate answer as to why the AFR is jacked, the fuel pressure gauge seems like overkill if someone has a WB, right? I get the EGT is a good tuning option, but is it a necessary monitor for engine health?

In short, I feel like the most important gauge is an AFR gauge from a WB because the stock warning lights/gauges are sufficient to protect against engine harm/failure. The other necessary gauge is boost for boosted cars.

Please educate me because my thinking goes against what almost everyone is doing, so it must be wrong :ion: :respect:

Oil and water temps are very important. Oil starts to break down when it gets too hot so you need to be sure you don't over heat it. I also like oil temp to know when it is at operating temp. Water temp is good to keep an eye on so you don't boil your coolant off. Oil pressure is very important as you know so its a good idea to keep an eye on it. As oil temps go up pressure will go down. Also if a line falls off on something like an oil cooler I rather know right away then waiting for the light to come on once no oil is left.

On a street car these are all useless TBH as the car will never get close to its limits. On the track its easy to over heat your car.

sorry for the crude simple reply haha! If you have any specific questions you can PM me so this thread doesn't get too off topic.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (01-12-2016), Irace86 (01-06-2016), Uplink (03-18-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #434
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Oil and water temps are very important. Oil starts to break down when it gets too hot so you need to be sure you don't over heat it. I also like oil temp to know when it is at operating temp. Water temp is good to keep an eye on so you don't boil your coolant off. Oil pressure is very important as you know so its a good idea to keep an eye on it. As oil temps go up pressure will go down. Also if a line falls off on something like an oil cooler I rather know right away then waiting for the light to come on once no oil is left.

On a street car these are all useless TBH as the car will never get close to its limits. On the track its easy to over heat your car.

sorry for the crude simple reply haha! If you have any specific questions you can PM me so this thread doesn't get too off topic.

I wish everyone on this forum was this "crude" and "simple"
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-12-2016)