follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #99
merlin2111

Drives: Widebody '94 Miata R-Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Since this car was built to be a convertible I don't feel like it will negatively impact performance. Open top cruising is amazing. If you live in an area that is picturesque then it is worth it. If there is a BRZ version then I am in.

I <3 my Miata.
But I <3 my new BRZ even more!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #100
Meehow86
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
The convertible looks nice, but I just can't take convertible people seriously. They're a grand touring crowd, not true sports car people.
Tell that to all the people who autocross and race their Miata's and S2000's. Plus people throw LSx engines into those things, if that's not "true sports car" then nothing is.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #101
IntotheOcean

Drives: Sexy Frs Firestorm M/T
Thanked 1,636 Times in 760 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
God I hate convertibles.
To me they're more of an old man/chick car.
For some reason whenever I see a guy my age in one I giggle
Anyway where I live(long island) everyone drives a Mustang... Feels about equal between females and males
So far only saw 4 frs' on the road! A good sign-guess everyone around here just likes hp maybe?
*shrugs* don't care
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #102
Mr. Man

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If they made a targa top id buy it even if i had to get another job and live off of ramen noodles and kool aid
Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #103
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Love how people always say that the us gets shafted. (mainly because it's true)

Prior to the S15 Varietta the only production convertible S chassis was the S13 which was amazingly a North American exclusive.

Now Toyota said North America won't see a convertible already. I'm thinking this is due to the fact that we have only seen base model scions. So excluding possibly a release series convertible I doubt this will come out in a scion market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #104
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Check the Mid-A spotted thread. It's all there.
I was talking about the incendiary nature of your posts, whether you realize they are or not. For example using "chick car" as a pejorative term. I take offense to that, as I'm sure many more polite people than I are as well. The notion that convertibles are only/mostly/really for females is a myth perpetuated by homophobes and the hyper-machismo. AKA

Convertibles can be fun cars too, myself I tend towards the practical side so I don't care for them. But you won't see me judging other drivers(m/f) for liking them.

Oh and for your viewing pleasure. "Why are most Miata owners men, even though it's a girls' car?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Why is almost everyone so friggin' sexist on this post? There is no such thing as a "chick" car. Even if there was, do we have a "man" car then? What is everything else that doesn't fall into either category? Gay cars? This logic makes no sense.
It's the standard fare, motorsports and car enthusiast sites are notorious for being vastly male dominated. We had an off-topic thread a couple months back about this but it turned negative.

To answer your question, cars don't have a gender in the human sense of sexes(male and female). Certain cars can be more popular with one gender, eg. the VW new Beetle. But they can also display gender traits such as shapes or distinctive visual features that can make them seem more masculine or feminine. Typically boxy cars tend towards masculine and curvy cars tend towards feminine. But really it depends. Just as we think of shapes as more beautiful or more strong, the same applies to something as common place in our society as cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #105
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Thems big words. I can have an opinion, even if it's offensive. If that makes me a homophobe (which I'm not) or anything else, then I guess I'm those things. That's how it works right? Quite frankly people call the Miata "gay" but to this day I've still seen more men driving. Now, there's definitely a cute girl in my office building who drives a new looking NC soft top...
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #106
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If the ''Scion'' brand is a limiting factor to introducing the convertible to North America then Scion is failing and has become a hindrance to the parent company. Scion should be killed off and the models merged into Toyota's.
Fallen hero (02-02-2013), Tim_Asphalt_FRS (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #107
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehow86 View Post
Tell that to all the people who autocross and race their Miata's and S2000's. Plus people throw LSx engines into those things, if that's not "true sports car" then nothing is.
The car must be purpose built from the start as a sports car with a low center of gravity, be lightweight, and have excellent handling. A sports car requires that the driver sacrifice some comfort and utility in exchange for better driving dynamics. Because they were purposely built as sports cars, both the MX5/Miata and S2000 are true sports cars. However, most owners bought them as grand tourers. The fact that a tiny fraction of owners autocross them is irrelevant.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #108
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
I buy myself an FR-S. I buy my brother FR-S convertible. Everybody knows FR-S convertible is for girls!

hot damn! this guy looks familiar! isn't he the one that was tryin' to "hump" his friend in the hotel room in the movie? maybe he has a twin?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #109
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Thems big words. I can have an opinion, even if it's offensive. If that makes me a homophobe (which I'm not) or anything else, then I guess I'm those things. That's how it works right? Quite frankly people call the Miata "gay" but to this day I've still seen more men driving. Now, there's definitely a cute girl in my office building who drives a new looking NC soft top...
Now I'm not saying anything about you personally @OrbitalEllipses , just sharing my opinion on what you stated. Honestly, I'm not saying you are either. So there's no need to take it personal. When I think you are something I'll tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #110
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Now I'm not saying anything about you personally @OrbitalEllipses , just sharing my opinion on what you stated. Honestly, I'm not saying you are either. So there's no need to take it personal. When I think you are something I'll tell you.
I didn't take it personally. :happy0180:
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #111
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Guys, if I wanted your opinion, I'd give it to you. Anyway, there is less than two months untill the TRD supercharger needs to be released, and not a single rumor. Where are the rumor threads?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #112
KaliKev
FT86 News Addict

Drives: Toyota FJ
I wouldn't buy a convertible FR-S, targa on the other hand? Hell yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to KaliKev For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-03-2013)

Closed Thread