follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #10333
Reamer

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
Yeah I would agree with that. All about timing on the street and getting the hit first. At the drag strip a whole different story lol.
Also, putting the throttle all the way down. That person in the big V8 probably never does it and doesn't stay in it long if they do (understandably, depending on the car and location), whereas our cars it is much easier to push them to the limits with more confidence. Cost is also a factor. There's less fear in having to repair a less expensive car.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #10334
Urmyson

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Any one interested in skipping the line? I'm thinking about moving on to something else. PM me.
Urmyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #10335
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Alrighty my ESC has stopped working.

When all was well, the voltbox read v28.7 at peak. Now it wavers and at max will only get to 28.6. I'd think that shouldn't make a difference, but the blower doesn't come on at all now.

I've checked the actuator (snug and clicky) and the battery connections and those are all snug.

Can someone give me the steps on how to properly diagnose the issue from the power/voltage perspective? Like how and where to measure the power, and do I do it with the car turned on? Turned off but with the key turned to a certain position?

I've sent a message to Rob as well, any and all help much appreciated!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #10336
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
Alrighty my ESC has stopped working.

When all was well, the voltbox read v28.7 at peak. Now it wavers and at max will only get to 28.6. I'd think that shouldn't make a difference, but the blower doesn't come on at all now.

I've checked the actuator (snug and clicky) and the battery connections and those are all snug.

Can someone give me the steps on how to properly diagnose the issue from the power/voltage perspective? Like how and where to measure the power, and do I do it with the car turned on? Turned off but with the key turned to a certain position?

I've sent a message to Rob as well, any and all help much appreciated!

What version of the kit do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:02 AM   #10337
Namuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
What version of the kit do you have?
I've got the Rev2 kit.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 AM   #10338
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
I've got the Rev2 kit.

Recheck all your connections. Make sure your wires didn't melt due to being too close to the header.

Are you using a procede?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 03-26-2017, 12:30 AM   #10339
Namuna

Quote:
Recheck all your connections. Make sure your wires didn't melt due to being too close to the header.

Are you using a procede?

All the wires in the engine bay area are good. No fraying, no melts.

Something else that's strange, the voltbox won't turn on until I turn the car all the way on. My understanding is that you should be able to put the keys in, turn to the 'On' position and the voltbox will turn on AND you can actually activate the ESC by depressing the gas pedal all the way down.

If you keep messing with the fuse-in connector on it (plugs in here, indicated by pic), then it does turn on

Also, a friend was checking the voltage readings on the wires in the connectors in the engine bay area and just by coincidence I got into the car and saw the voltbox on (car ignition is off, but key was in and in the 'On' position). Just for the heck of it I stepped on the gas pedal and the ESC worked for just a brief moment but then voltbox turned off again and went back to doing the same as before.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #10340
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Sounds like a loose wire. So you don't have a fuse that goes from the voltmeter to the fusebox in the driver's side footwell?

Installed Mods:
Old 03-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #10341
Namuna

Quote:
Sounds like a loose wire. So you don't have a fuse that goes from the voltmeter to the fusebox in the driver's side footwell?

Yes, I do. Here's more info...

So here's what just happened:

I went out to the car to get some pictures for clarification. First I double checked the engine bay to see if the wires are really okay and no melting from being near the pipes...All okay there, the wires are away from the pipes.

Next I get in the car and put the key in the ignition and ONLY turn the key to the 'On' position. To my surprise the voltbox was showing a reading (I typically have to turn the car all the way on with the engine running before the voltbox would turn on). Now I want to test the feel of the actuator under the gas pedal and so I press the gas pedal down and low and behold the blower activates at the 1st click, then I press all the way down on the pedal and it kicks in full blast at the 2nd position. Great, it's working! I try the pedal a couple more times and it's still working and the voltage is dropping and recharging, all as it should be.

So now let's see what happens when I start the engine and try it again while I'm actually driving....NOTHING. The voltbox gives me the proper reading, but pressing down on the pedal and hitting the 1st and 2nd actuation points isn't turning the blower on.

I pull over and turn the car off and then put the key to the 'On' position only again (engine turned off), the voltbox is off. If I actually flip the I/O switch to off, the reading blips 0.00 and then goes off. If I play with the plug-in wire (my mistake, the hardwire is the one that goes to the fuse), it now shows some other reading in the v11.2 range.

Here's what my voltbox looks like.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #10342
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:

I went out to the car to get some pictures for clarification. First I double checked the engine bay to see if the wires are really okay and no melting from being near the pipes...All okay there, the wires are away from the pipes.

Next I get in the car and put the key in the ignition and ONLY turn the key to the 'On' position. To my surprise the voltbox was showing a reading (I typically have to turn the car all the way on with the engine running before the voltbox would turn on). Now I want to test the feel of the actuator under the gas pedal and so I press the gas pedal down and low and behold the blower activates at the 1st click, then I press all the way down on the pedal and it kicks in full blast at the 2nd position. Great, it's working! I try the pedal a couple more times and it's still working and the voltage is dropping and recharging, all as it should be.

So now let's see what happens when I start the engine and try it again while I'm actually driving....NOTHING. The voltbox gives me the proper reading, but pressing down on the pedal and hitting the 1st and 2nd actuation points isn't turning the blower on.

I pull over and turn the car off and then put the key to the 'On' position only again (engine turned off), the voltbox is off. If I actually flip the I/O switch to off, the reading blips 0.00 and then goes off. If I play with the plug-in wire (my mistake, the hardwire is the one that goes to the fuse), it now shows some other reading in the v11.2 range.

Double check your connection in the fusebox. And make sure it's in the right spot.

Installed Mods:
Old 03-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #10343
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Quote:
One more thing to check, I had an issue with the plug on the voltage display.

Rob sent a new voltage display which fixed the issue. Wasn't until I dismantled the old display (removed the female section of the plug) that I noticed that the solder on one of the wires wasn't soldered properly. It looked like it was!

Allowed the voltmeter to work sometimes and not others.

Last edited by Gums; 03-27-2017 at 05:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:32 AM   #10344
Benz

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know what is going on for International RHD orders? I have been on the list for over 2.5-3 years now...
Fenton?
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #10345
silent runner

Drives: 93'Camry, 82'Corolla, 76' Celica
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
Can you post an updated version of 'the list', so we know where we stand?

Thanks
I just have one thing to say about the "list". It's been a bit of a tough ride for a whole lot of folks out in the general economy where Rob runs this thing and with our energy industry roughing out some tough times, it good to see that there is still some forward motion on any list.

My little update is to offer some information on the state of batteries after about of 2years of use on the original V1, all or nothing operation version. Now I inherited these power sonic 12180 NB batteries from one of Fentons earlier projects, on top of my operation but....

These batteries, after being pulled from my Camry and readied for my Solara 5sps. car, would only maintain about 10.3 volts after being charged. In the last few weeks, they would still pull up to 28 volts with the car pushing them, but they would never hit with decent current.

I would strongly suggest that about 2 years of light daily use is probably the best you should expect for proper performance from these batteries. Maybe a fair bit less, like 1 year for you guys using later system.

I'm Finally putting my proto system into my Solara, with new batteries. Starting out with 200hp rating, and 214ft/lb of torque, In 5 spd manual car, weighing about 3100lbs. When newly installed, the Phantom SC knocked an easy 2.0seconds off of the 0-60mph time of my 3VZ-FE Camry, from 8.5 to 6.5.

This car starts documented 0-60 times in the 7.0 second range, so this should be pretty fun to play with. Personally, I enjoy that 20-60 mph range, where you can enjoy a big shove in the backside, show that your car is no slouch, then carry on and do your good community service at the shelter.
silent runner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silent runner For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-23-2017), Sojhinn (04-21-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #10346
godzuki

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
compressor does not stay on

hi all,

anyone run into an issue where the compressor switches on, but only for a moment before spinning down again? once the foot pedal switch reaches the first click it does this, the second click does nothing and keeping the switch engaged doesn't keep the compressor on.

when i turn on the system it beeps once, then there is a little delay, then 5 slow beeps.

all connections appear fine, tried reseating the meter and foot pedal connectors as well.
godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive