follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #2997
dontpanic

Drives: shiny side up.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APS86 View Post
HI all,
Have had my sprintex kit fitted one week ago and amazed by how it has transformed the car - really appreciate all the info on this thread.

Have noticed that the car is a bit jittery in 1st and 2nd gear - I did notice that others have mentioned this ..... is it from tune or from torque

cheers and thanks
I was considering adding an innovate/sprintex to our car: I had the opportunity to test drive an FRS with the non-intercooled kit and innovate supplied tune... it displayed disappointing throttle response at light throttle and stop and go traffic (east coast 93pump). it was very "on-off" and difficult to drive smoothly. It was great with larger throttle applications but merging into moving traffic required more attention that it should have. The car i tested was an auto which may have exacerbated the symptoms some.
After some searching I noted others were similarly afflicted. I contacted innovate and they stated they had updated their tunes from earlier versions but still were retarding timing down low to compensate for boost ramp up. Others have suggested the problem stems from the throttled volume of the intake without the intercooler which might be solved by a blanking plug down the road. I've decided to hold off until innovate sorts this further. I laud their goal of a near-OEM seamless upgrade. The car drives so well and is so much fun unmodded I am unwilling to sacrifice in the quest for more torque. Clearly the stumbling on takeoff can be mitigated by further refining the tune but that represents an additional expense and not all of us have access to a capable tuner. I will be following closely to see what you wind up finding out. I am given to understand the intercooled kit is actually smoother but have not had the chance to test.
dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dontpanic For This Useful Post:
APS86 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #2998
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
I was considering adding an innovate/sprintex to our car: I had the opportunity to test drive an FRS with the non-intercooled kit and innovate supplied tune... it displayed disappointing throttle response at light throttle and stop and go traffic (east coast 93pump). it was very "on-off" and difficult to drive smoothly. It was great with larger throttle applications but merging into moving traffic required more attention that it should have. The car i tested was an auto which may have exacerbated the symptoms some.
After some searching I noted others were similarly afflicted. I contacted innovate and they stated they had updated their tunes from earlier versions but still were retarding timing down low to compensate for boost ramp up. Others have suggested the problem stems from the throttled volume of the intake without the intercooler which might be solved by a blanking plug down the road. I've decided to hold off until innovate sorts this further. I laud their goal of a near-OEM seamless upgrade. The car drives so well and is so much fun unmodded I am unwilling to sacrifice in the quest for more torque. Clearly the stumbling on takeoff can be mitigated by further refining the tune but that represents an additional expense and not all of us have access to a capable tuner. I will be following closely to see what you wind up finding out. I am given to understand the intercooled kit is actually smoother but have not had the chance to test.
Try driving one with a properly calibrated tune instead of a canned tune.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #2999
calispec

Drives: Subaru BRZ with Delicious Innovate
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
The non intercooled "tuner kit" with a delicious tune will cost about the same as the complete non intercooled kit with canned tune (I believe). Go that rout. I experienced the laggy throttle response down low until I switched to delicious. I am not exaggerating when I say it is completely fixed. And I am picky!!! The canned tune is done by delicious so you might just ask for an updated tune. I am not sure what might be different between the two. Canned tune is carb legal and I believe tuned on 91 so that may make a difference. Come drive mine!
The Following User Says Thank You to calispec For This Useful Post:
APS86 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #3000
ntaphse

Drives: beater
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_Bladesmith View Post
As you can see the bottle is touching the bar, which makes it a bit of a pain in the ass to take off, but it's doable. The bar also sits on the rubber connector for the intake/TB (can't even fit a sheet of paper between them) but I see no harm in this.
I just installed my intercooler last weekend, and I have the GC strut brace. On the coolant reservoir, you'll notice the 8mm hole is slotted, but the 6mm hole is not. I took a drill bit and slotted it so the reservoir could be mounted slightly closer to the firewall. It has a tiny bit of clearance now, should work.

What height are your GC spacers? They sent me 20mm initially and they damn near touched the hood. I told them about it and they said they would make them 15mm tall now.
ntaphse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #3001
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
Gauges are for people that don't trust their tuner.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
NickFRS (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #3002
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Question:
I'm fairly sure that if I purchased the intercooler kit and put it on my car my self that I wouldn't need to worry about tuning it as far as daily driving, at least not right away? I'd just eventually need to get a tune to get the most out of it?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #3003

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A tune is required. Otherwise... FAILURE
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #3004
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Anyone know what parameters to log after supercharging the car?
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #3005
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1086 View Post
A tune is required. Otherwise... FAILURE
So much for installing the intercooler kit myself unless I want to have it towed to the mechanic/tuner.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #3006

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual in Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
So much for installing the intercooler kit myself unless I want to have it towed to the mechanic/tuner.

Assuming you already have the supercharger installed with a tune you should be okay. I installed my intercooler kit and flashed the intercooler specific tune a week or so later.
1010110 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1010110 For This Useful Post:
stockysnail (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #3007
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, popped another belt.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #3008
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010110 View Post
Assuming you already have the supercharger installed with a tune you should be okay. I installed my intercooler kit and flashed the intercooler specific tune a week or so later.
That's what I thought. I think the other guy was assuming I did not already have the supercharger on, which I do.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #3009
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgoose View Post
Well, popped another belt.

If people keep popping them, perhaps we should have a spare or two in the car with the required tools in the trunk?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #3010
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I did. Secondary belt is on now. That makes 3 stock sized belts, and one smaller belt. Really starting to grow old

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.