follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What are your Second Thoughts?

Everyone has them, doesn't mean you aren't going to buy the car... Just curious what everyones second thoughts are?

Naturally mine revolve around money, why not just get a $3k car off craigslist and get my kicks on the motorcycle? I saw a 94 Nissan truck for sale on my way to work today, $3,000. I could buy that outright, right now, boom I'd have a truck for the crap weather, a way to haul my bicycle around, shit it makes a lot more sense than going into the red for four years trying to pay off a sweet new ride.

What are some of your second thoughts?
slizoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You've hit the nail on the head on the most common '2nd thought' IMO: used vs new.
Another main reason would be, what is on the horizon for this car in regards to enhancements in the next 24-36 months.

There are all sorts of more personal reasons each person's situation will dictate as considerations, more than just from a car POV.

For me,who isn't going to buy until 2013 at the earliest anyways, it's:
- will there be significant improvements in the subsequent 2 model years
- new vs used, keep my BMW and add an Elise or Miata for trackday/Sunday morning fun or have a larger hookers & blow fund
- will I relocate for work again in the next couple years
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
tlp

Drives: Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slizoth View Post
why not just get a $3k car off craigslist and get my kicks on the motorcycle?
You see... That would be the sensible thing to do. Fortunately...we aren't all sensible!
tlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
- will there be significant improvements in the subsequent 2 model years
- will I relocate for work again in the next couple years
Those are two of the biggest questions i have for myself right now. Like you i will be waiting quite a while before purchasing this vehicle. Another factor for myself is how reliable the car will be and if its going to be more headache long term than fun.

OP is right, i could buy a truck for my bike and still have a DD and a track/WW but those are things that can also come later on. I see the FRS being a greater long term project for myself and quite POSSIBLY better overall enjoyment vs the bike.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I still want my car, but my concerns are as follows:

1.) Its already low (stock ground clearance seems to be lower than my already lowered car) dropping it by an inch or so may make it tough to get around speedbumps and curbs.
2.) More powerful version may be around the corner.
3.) Do i really want to drive this thing in the winter (which leads to whether or not i ditch my car for this or hold onto it)

So yeah those are my second thoughts

Im not to concerned AFTER i get it, since i would keep the car long term (ive had mine for 5 years already and never planned on ditching it until either the FRS becomes available or i move onto a luxury car)
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Do I get the FR-S and import all the Toyota parts from a LHD Euro-spec version and convert everything so that not a single trace of Scion is left on the car? Or wait till Toyota sells a sports car under Toyota?

If I do get an FR-S and convert it, do I wait for a higher spec version to come out from Scion to convert?

OR

Do I give up on Toyota completely and walk away, never to return or refer anyone to them again as this is the last straw? (Edit: I guess I should point out this would mean not going with Scion either. This would be leaving TMC completely)

Last edited by Saber_TRD; 04-04-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Saber_TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Concerns:

1) New vs used. I always go through that debate and lightly used wins about 80% of the time with me. In this case, desire overrides sensibility though!

2) Test drive fit and feel. It could be the best car in the world for everyone else, but its got to feel right to me.

3) Practicality. You won't hear this often, but a current model Camaro (second on my list) is a more "practical" car than the FR-S for everyday family living. Plus I can get a way better spec'ed one for used (see 1)

Thing that don't bother me:

1) Version 1.0 Car. I've bought first year cars before and loved them. In fact I think just about every new sport(y) car I've purchased has been a first year car model (MR2, Saturn SC, Mustang),

2) Scion. I've bought Toyota "off brand" cars before and found nothing that concerned me (Geo Prism). It's the same car.

3) Price. I think its a fairly priced car for the tech and the style you are getting. Also, there's the smile factor, just looking at it makes me happy.

I fret over this decision every time because I do keep a car for as long as possible so I need to be happy with it. Once I buy it though, I let all that slide and just enjoy it.

Of course, for about a quarter of the price of the FR-S I could put a crate V8 and new tranny in my Astro, upgrade the suspension and have a heck of a sleeper sports van! <grin>

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
HiggityHank

Drives: '10 Si
My second thoughts come from the Miata in my driveway... I've already got a tiny, impractical RWD car, except that one is paid off, and for ~$3k I can toss a turbo in it, and probably have just as much fun. the $25k price point is a real choke for me. I could trade the SI (sedan... the "practical" car) in for this, or I could trade it in for a 5 door WRX and have an actual practical car, and retain a sports car. I don't know that 2 sports cars will cut it for me.

Or you know, I could pay off the Honda this year and be free of car payments.

It's a tough call, but I'm kinda leaning toward "no." We'll see what a drive says though, all bets are off the table if it drives as fun as advertised.
HiggityHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Pakjk89

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
I am honestly just looking for a manual transmission car. This will be my first stick shift so I feel like even if I end up not getting this and getting something like a civic si or even the new Acura ilx coming out, I won't be too upset. I am looking for a DD and a civic si or something a little bigger might be more practical.
Pakjk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Lost

Drives: Carless...
I had most if these thoughts before I pre-ordered, but since I've been nothing but excited. My biggest concern is the unknown timeframe...
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I could build a very capable rx7, k20 civic, or another type r, but they are old now, so little things break, lights and paint fades, etc, for once i want a brand new car that nobody has messed with, i know will be reliable and i get to keep track of the progress i make with the car

All my favorite cars are from 92-2001 some we are talking 11-20 yrs old so they need to be restored and modified as well, just dont have the time for that, if i dont buy this now there will always be an excuse

Im ready for fresh rwd platform that has immense aftermarket support, hence my decision
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just a small issue- what does the fact that Scion decided not to line the trunk lid (ffs) suggest about overall build quality? Is it symptomatic of accountant cost-cutting elsewhere that may come back to bite later?
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Just a small issue- what does the fact that Scion decided not to line the trunk lid (ffs) suggest about overall build quality? Is it symptomatic of accountant cost-cutting elsewhere that may come back to bite later?
Nothing. It's the same car, Subaru just slaps that on the ones being sold under their name and not the ones with a Scion badge.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
The only doubts I have are about the new engine, trans, and eps system. But really if I were to buy it new that's what warranties are for. It may be a hassle, but might be worth the trade off.

The only other cars I'm looking at are the WRX, used 3 series, or Mustang. And to be honest, I'm sure they'd be fun and a bit more practical, but the entire package that the BRZ /FRS can't really be matched by any other car right now.

Plus used isn't an option. I don't want to deal with oop expenses especially since I'm financing anyway.

My wife, and my common sense wont let me get a motorcycle and plus I plan on keeping this car for at least 6 years.

I'm not too worried about the eventual power increase. I think if its in a release series or STI version I couldn't afford it anyway. I don't think a 08 WRX debacle will happen with this car, and if it does, I'm sure the increase would only be a few HP. 220 or so. Anymore, or a Turbo addition and toyobaru would have to make more changes to the car overall.

The car being a Scion doesn't bother me like it used to and really this will be my next car.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote