follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
Q2

Drives: 2015 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine Management

Hey I'm going to have a SBD500x Turbo put on my FRS and the guy putting it on said I need a new engine management for tuning or something like that I foudn this:https://frsport.com/Universal-Progra...kaAj7BEALw_wcB
would there be one anyone recommends or would this work?
Q2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You don't want to go that route. You just need an Ecutek cable/license and tune. There are several companies that offer remote tuning. Personally, I used Delicious Tuning's Flash n' go tune for my supercharged car.

Here's the link to their tune package. Make sure you select that you need a cable and license in the options at the bottom of the page.
https://www.delicioustuning.com/flash_and_go

Your best bet may be to contact them directly prior to placing an order to make sure you've ticked all the boxes and fully understand your costs.

In fairness, Moto-East are also well regarded tuners here who will offer a turn-key Ecutek setup, I just do not have personal tuning experience with them to share but you should be able to find posts from others who have.

Whatever you do don't just buy a universal standalone like that AEM. You will be left with a TON of work both in installing it and tuning it. Ecutek with a good e-tune like Delicious will have you up and running in a day and fine-tuned most likely within another couple of days, installing and tuning a standalone from scratch could be weeks of work, even for a professional.

-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (11-28-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Ecutek can do everything you need it to do, at a fraction of the cost of a stand-alone system. The biggest reason people opt for standalones is for custom mapping/doing things that the stock logic does not allow for. Ecutek allows this (up to 17 maps or so...it's A through P). AEM does not support direct injection to boot.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Ecutek can do everything you need it to do, at a fraction of the cost of a stand-alone system. The biggest reason people opt for standalones is for custom mapping/doing things that the stock logic does not allow for. Ecutek allows this (up to 17 maps or so...it's A through P). AEM does not support direct injection to boot.
Do you have a link?
Old 11-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Just look it up, it's the most widely used software for this vehicle it won't be hard to find.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Just look it up, it's the most widely used software for this vehicle it won't be hard to find.
Which one would be best?
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/open...E#.Wh_werQ-fcM
or
https://frsport.com/ProECU-Programmi...BoCjSwQAvD_BwE

Also do I really need one if I'm getting it tuned later, probably like the day after?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2 View Post
Which one would be best?
or

Also do I really need one if I'm getting it tuned later, probably like the day after?
That isn't tuning software just the devices, license and cables used to flash the ECU (OFT uses Romraider and the cable/license is used with Ecutek). What tuning software will your tuner be using? It sounds like you need to read up on the details around what needs to be done to install the turbo and not expect to have this spoon fed to you. There are pinned posts at the top of the FI section and software tuning section that can help you with much of this. You also should talk to your tuner.

Last edited by Apoc; 11-30-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey I'm going to have a SBD500x Turbo put on my FRS and the guy putting it on said I need a new engine management for tuning or something like that I foudn this:https://frsport.com/Universal-Progra...kaAj7BEALw_wcB
would there be one anyone recommends or would this work?
if the guy putting on your turbo kit says you need a new engine management find a new guy to do your install of your turbo kit. its as easy as bolt on kit flash a tune and go.
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
armstrom

Drives: none
Quote:
Which one would be best?
or

Either will work. The OpenFlash tablet is really only tuned by Shiv. However, I believe he has base maps for the SBD kits so it would be an option for you. The Ecutek has support from many more tuners and has more advanced features than the OFT, but will cost you more.

Yes, you want a tune for your first start-up after the turbo install. You cannot drive the car with the stock tune after installing a turbo (Assuming it would even start). Any tuner you buy from will give you a base map that should be safe to start the car and let you drive around.

You really need to pick your tuner first, then follow their instructions on what to buy. For example, some places will let you rent the Ecutek cable since you don't really need it once your tune is dialed in.
-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
wyatt263

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS, 1985 Toyota Supra
I've installed the SBD 500X kit myself, it can be really easy to fudge up the installation on this kit in particular, some things require adjustment and fabrication. Make sure your technician knows what he's about to get himself into. As for tuning, I'm using Shiv's custom e-tuning service and happy with the results thus far, I'm on my fifth revision, still working with him to get it perfect, but the car runs great overall.
wyatt263 is offline   Reply With Quote