follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #8121
Hill

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone used the non intercooled version with just water injection instead of water/meth? Do you think it would keep things cooler vs the intercooled version? I ask because I have the intercooler core inside of the manifold when I bought it, but I still need the hoses, electric water pump, air-water exchanger, and coolant reservoir. Not sure how much sprintex would charge me for those parts, but if just water injection alone could keep it cooler, I'd go that route instead
Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #8122
PitViper

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Limited Edition
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
Has anyone used the non intercooled version with just water injection instead of water/meth? Do you think it would keep things cooler vs the intercooled version? I ask because I have the intercooler core inside of the manifold when I bought it, but I still need the hoses, electric water pump, air-water exchanger, and coolant reservoir. Not sure how much sprintex would charge me for those parts, but if just water injection alone could keep it cooler, I'd go that route instead
Meth/water injection has its perks. It will help keep the core cooler and aid in air temps. You'll face other problems based off of your meth volume and tune. If the meth cuts at 7k rpm and the tune isn't set up with a "knock kill" that would flood the engine if excessive knocking started, then you could say goodbye to your motor.
That is an extreme case, but it can happen.
Problem is that you'll only get cooling under load which the meth system will enable. So in traffic and crusing, You'll run hot.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #8123
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
How'd you end up with the core inside it by not getting the intercooled kit? Now I'm wondering if I also have it.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #8124
riboyster

Also, I've gone back up to 72.5mm and started experimenting with it again. Definitely seems to feel more boosty on the top end. Anyone got a 70mm Raceseng lying around?

I figure adding peak top end efficiency/boost on top the motors natural peak power would yield better results than more boost at mid range that fizzles out towards the top.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:11 PM   #8125
Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Meth/water injection has its perks. It will help keep the core cooler and aid in air temps. You'll face other problems based off of your meth volume and tune. If the meth cuts at 7k rpm and the tune isn't set up with a "knock kill" that would flood the engine if excessive knocking started, then you could say goodbye to your motor.
That is an extreme case, but it can happen.
Problem is that you'll only get cooling under load which the meth system will enable. So in traffic and crusing, You'll run hot.

Okay so I'll definitely get the intercooler and look into just water injection. Not sure if I want to add meth
Old 02-24-2018, 10:13 PM   #8126
Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
How'd you end up with the core inside it by not getting the intercooled kit? Now I'm wondering if I also have it.
I bought the supercharger used. He said it was non intercooled, but it had the core sitting in the manifold... I'm not mad at all lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Hill For This Useful Post:
riboyster (02-24-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 AM   #8127
Joeyb860

Drives: 2017 860 SPRINTEK
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I bought the supercharger used. He said it was non intercooled, but it had the core sitting in the manifold... I'm not mad at all lol
I'm running meth and have not had any trouble at all. In fact it has keep my oil Temps below 180. And on wot it pulls harder and is more responsive in all ranges of boost. I drive in traffic everyday no heat problems at all. 2nd best mod I have done.
Joeyb860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:31 AM   #8128
Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
Also, I've gone back up to 72.5mm and started experimenting with it again. Definitely seems to feel more boosty on the top end. Anyone got a 70mm Raceseng lying around?

I figure adding peak top end efficiency/boost on top the motors natural peak power would yield better results than more boost at mid range that fizzles out towards the top.
I have a 70mm. Not sure if I was going to use it or not. I cant use it right now because im not intercooled or water injected yet
Old 02-25-2018, 01:33 AM   #8129
Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyb860 View Post
I'm running meth and have not had any trouble at all. In fact it has keep my oil Temps below 180. And on wot it pulls harder and is more responsive in all ranges of boost. I drive in traffic everyday no heat problems at all. 2nd best mod I have done.
Thanks for sharing. Are you intercooled as well? Also, did you ever run just water injection?
Joeyb860 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 01:38 AM   #8130
Hill

Also, theres a Facebook group for 86's with a Sprintex.
FRZ/BRZ/86 SPRINTEX / INNOVATE Supercharged Group
It currently has 8 members including myself lol

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1635...f=group_header
86 South Africa (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 02:02 AM   #8131
SleeBrzz

Drives: 2013 Subaru Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
If you're going FI, get a turbo. It is better on the block and you'll be happier with a turbo.
Something like the JDL V2 turbo kit with a 3071r gen2 will give you great spool and lots of potential for power.
If you want to upgrade to a smaller pulley, you won't see mich between the 69mm and the 70mm. More mottom end torque and more engine wear is about the most You'll see.
I've ran the 69mm for most of the life of my car. Wasn't much of an upgrade.

I looked into switching to a turbo before but it seemed to be too much of a hassle for me. I bought the car used with the sprintex kit on it and I’m currently adding the intercooler kit and a few other parts to the car.

Because of all the parts I’m getting the car re-tuned soon and was thinking about getting a smaller pulley. I’d like to get the 72.5mm one but due to timing I may just stick with the stock one. I know I could get the 69mm one but I’d rather not max out the blower or any components.
SleeBrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SleeBrzz For This Useful Post:
PitViper (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 05:39 AM   #8132
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeBrzz View Post
I looked into switching to a turbo before but it seemed to be too much of a hassle for me. I bought the car used with the sprintex kit on it and I’m currently adding the intercooler kit and a few other parts to the car.

Because of all the parts I’m getting the car re-tuned soon and was thinking about getting a smaller pulley. I’d like to get the 72.5mm one but due to timing I may just stick with the stock one. I know I could get the 69mm one but I’d rather not max out the blower or any components.
I can’t compare to the stock pulley cos I never had it, but I’ve got the SPS kit with the smaller 69mm pulley and it’s an awesome upgrade for me. Plenty of additional mid range and I don’t feel any drop off until it’s right near the redline (probably only above 7200rpm or so).

However 1 really NB point is that I live 6,000ft above sea level so we have thinner air to begin with. I’m told this means the smaller pulley is around equal to the stock one at sea level (give or take a few hp).

I also have flex-fuel. With ethanol e30 feels great but anything from e60+ is just mega. It’s got noticeably more shove with ethanol.
(To the meth/water meth info above... I just like the ease of the flex-fuel because it makes ethanol an easier option to live with for me vs water meth. Also less plumbing etc to worry about).

Last edited by 86 South Africa; 02-25-2018 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Spelling.
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86 South Africa For This Useful Post:
Joeyb860 (02-25-2018), SleeBrzz (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 05:52 AM   #8133
riboyster

Quote:
I have a 70mm. Not sure if I was going to use it or not. I cant use it right now because im not intercooled or water injected yet
Let me know if you ever decide to sell it.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #8134
Joeyb860

Drives: 2017 860 SPRINTEK
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Are you intercooled as well? Also, did you ever run just water injection?
I have the intercooled kit uel cat less 2.5 all they way out with a cold air intake, snow stage 2 kit and Ecutek tune from Delicious .
Joeyb860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.