follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #43
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
You can skip the AT. It's pretty boring to drive. First twin I test drove was an AT (all that was available) and i put the thought of owning a twin out of my mind for a couple years. The AT was not a great feeling and I thought the car was incredulously slow. Being paired to the AT didn't help the speed thing, but....it was not the car I thought it would be at first drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Same thing with a GTR, 488, Huracan, etc. Nothing beats a manual trans. Civic or Camry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I have a friend who owned a GTR and got bored of it not having a MT. He has a BMW F80 now with MT.

I actually really enjoyed the PDK 718 boxster and the latest DSG in the Audi S7, after test driving those, the latest dual clutch tech is incredibly smooth and fast. It's almost imperceptible how quickly they shift and you get almost no drive-train chatter. I highly suggest you guys test drive one of them.

The GT-R still has a relatively old GR6 transmission, they've really only improved it with some core material and electronics and TCM program changes. At it's core it's still clunky and odd to drive at slow city speeds.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #44
Johnny Horsepower

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
YIKES, Johnny Horsepower, we have posted several pages addressing your questions about how to shift a car with an automatic transmission and you still appear to be confused.

I suggest you just put that sucker in "D" and enjoy the handling of the car.

humfrz
Dafuq? Out of those several pages of posts (many of which were helpful - thanks, guys), I'm only confused by the guy who's shocked that I want to use manual mode. Your suggestion that I should use D because someone doesn't understand why I want to use M makes no sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
If you don't understand what I meant and what others meant with their comments you have no hope with this car or this forum
I understand what the others meant, and some of what you meant, so maybe there's still hope for me.

Quote:
Did you not read my entire post? Or even anyone elses? You don't need to keep it in manual mode all the time, otherwise what was the purpose of buying the auto?
I read all the posts. Did you read mine? I've already answered that question: at least for a beginner, a MT is way the hell harder to shift than just flicking a stick or paddle. That's the purpose of buying the auto. And I don't want to keep it in manual mode all the time, so that's another purpose.

Quote:
If you're highway cruising from point a to b and just want to relax you keep it in auto. If you want to have fun then switch it to manual mode end of story and that's all I was trying to get at. Never ever said it was track specific either
Now that I get, but you're changing your tune. Compare what you just said to this:

"You're done accelerating why are you in manual mode in the first place? Just a straight goddamn line? Is there a corner coming up? Are you on a highway?"

Do I have to be like "Oh shit a straight goddamn line's coming up! Gotta take it out of manual mode!" Can't I just use manual mode because I feel like it, not only when the particular situation can't be perfectly handled by the auto? It seems that now you are saying yes, when before you were saying no.

Quote:
Are you inept? Or just don't understand cars in general? Of course you NEED to know what gear you're in in manual mode because it help you shift and lets you know how much you can downshift pre-emptively.
Come on, you'd know when to shift without knowing what gear you were in. It's not going to let you shift above 6 or below 1, or stall or redline. Now I'd still like to know what gear I was in, just saying it would still work out otherwise.

Quote:
Honestly, What purpose does it serve to know what gear you're in in D?
I've given one example: if you accelerate to 50 mph in 3rd gear, and then stop accelerating, I'd like to know if the AT upshifts directly from 3rd to 6th. Because some people say it's bad to skip gears. It's a reasonable thing to be curious about. In general, I just think it would be cool watching the numbers change to see how it works.

Quote:
Also you gain nothing in sport mode that you don't already get by switching to manual mode.
Except that sport mode can handle a straight goddamn line.

Quote:
If you're keep your hands at 9 and 3 on a track or autox even the paddles are always going to be left hand for down and right hand for up.
Maybe that works on a track or autox, but I'm thinking about daily driving. I guess I need to look into steering techniques, but what about hand over hand steering in a parking lot?
Johnny Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #45
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Horsepower View Post
Dafuq? Out of those several pages of posts (many of which were helpful - thanks, guys), I'm only confused by the guy who's shocked that I want to use manual mode. Your suggestion that I should use D because someone doesn't understand why I want to use M makes no sense at all.

Maybe it makes no sense to you at all, is because I reckon I wasn't clear about what I meant. What I was getting at is that I get the idea you are overthinking this whole transmission shifting thing and that may be interfering with your pleasure of enjoying what this car is really good at - like handling on the curves -

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 09-14-2018 at 01:46 PM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #46
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:

Maybe that works on a track or autox, but I'm thinking about daily driving. I guess I need to look into steering techniques, but what about hand over hand steering in a parking lot?
You should have no reason to use the paddles if the wheel is turned that much. They will always straighten out before you should be shifting (either before you enter the turn or once you exit)

Do you own any racing games? Buy one with a steering wheel shifter and it'll teach you a lot of what you are asking.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-21-2018), FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-14-2018), Leonardo (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #47
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Maybe it makes no sense to you at all, is because I reckon I wasn't clear about what I meant. What I was getting at is that I get the idea you are overthinking this whole transmission shifting thing and that may be interfering with your pleasure of enjoying what this cat is really good at - like handling on the curves -

humfrz
^that. Getting out there and trying it will help you understand a ton more then us all talking on here.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-21-2018), humfrz (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #48
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
^that. Getting out there and trying it will help you understand a ton more then us all talking on here.
Quote:
You should have no reason to use the paddles if the wheel is turned that much. They will always straighten out before you should be shifting (either before you enter the turn or once you exit)

Do you own any racing games? Buy one with a steering wheel shifter and it'll teach you a lot of what you are asking.

Thank god others answered like yourself, he's clueless.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 09-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #49
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

I understand what the others meant, and some of what you meant, so maybe there's still hope for me.

I read all the posts. Did you read mine? I've already answered that question: at least for a beginner, a MT is way the hell harder to shift than just flicking a stick or paddle. That's the purpose of buying the auto. And I don't want to keep it in manual mode all the time, so that's another purpose.

Now that I get, but you're changing your tune. Compare what you just said to this:

"You're done accelerating why are you in manual mode in the first place? Just a straight goddamn line? Is there a corner coming up? Are you on a highway?"

Do I have to be like "Oh shit a straight goddamn line's coming up! Gotta take it out of manual mode!" Can't I just use manual mode because I feel like it, not only when the particular situation can't be perfectly handled by the auto? It seems that now you are saying yes, when before you were saying no.

Come on, you'd know when to shift without knowing what gear you were in. It's not going to let you shift above 6 or below 1, or stall or redline. Now I'd still like to know what gear I was in, just saying it would still work out otherwise.

I've given one example: if you accelerate to 50 mph in 3rd gear, and then stop accelerating, I'd like to know if the AT upshifts directly from 3rd to 6th. Because some people say it's bad to skip gears. It's a reasonable thing to be curious about. In general, I just think it would be cool watching the numbers change to see how it works.

I didn't change my tune, I said specifically there are scenarios for both. But regardless you don't know much about cars and you lack comprehension of simple concepts, so I won't post anymore on this thread

You shouldn't be using manual mode in situations where you'd be lock to lock on the wheel in anyway, that's absolutely ridiculous and proves your complete lack of understanding. Keep it in auto in tight parking lot scenarios, you'd have to go to reverse anyway....

I'd hate to see some news where you crashed your car into something because you didn't know how the manual mode worked

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 09-15-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #50
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Thank god others answered like yourself, he's clueless.....
I borderline think we are being trolled at this point, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (09-14-2018), Tcoat (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #51
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
I borderline think we are being trolled at this point, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now
Me too, his only posts have been this one, I'm surprised he hasn't had any other "issues" with his car. Also the auto mode is really self explanatory, my girlfriend with 0 car experience picked it up and was playing with it quite a bit within 30 minutes, it really isn't that hard....
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #52
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Don't know what i miss but looks like millennials strikes again.

Op the reason to use manual mode is that you can keep the engine in the rev range where it produce the most power at the moment you want. (NOT 1 or 2 second later as rev needs to climb)

Just go out & let someone that knows what they are doing take you for a ride on a tight canyon road.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #53
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I actually use the stick more often, it's just much easier to say or google "paddles" than "the stick for manual shift mode on an AT." I never try using the paddles when turning.
Whut?

Quote:
Yeah, like the Back to the Future DeLorean. Not sure if we actually see Marty shift or it's just implied, but we definitely see the clutch pedal at one point, yet the Doc drives it via remote control. I think the FR-S semi-automatic transmission is about as close as we're going to get to that for a while.
Huh???

Quote:
OK, I'm beginning to think this was written by a bot and this is just a troll job.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #54
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
Whut?

Love your profile picture
Old 09-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #55
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Post pics of this parking lot, please. Do they require a tech inspection before they allow you to park?
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #56
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Post pics of this parking lot, please. Do they require a tech inspection before they allow you to park?

They also require at minimum:

SA2015 helmet purchased within the last 2 years
HANS Device

IF you have a passenger in said parking lot you also must have a roll cage