follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #337
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post
Sorry. I think most folks understood my post and why I wrote it.
Likewise
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #338
Jond63

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
I hate that argument, because it just reminds me how ignorant most people are.

"Man, that new Corvette is freaking amazing! I bet the Cobalt I'm looking at buying will be pretty awesome too, just because the Corvette is made by the same brand!"

People are stupid.
Win on Sunday sell on Monday -- same principle...
Jond63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #339
val_lixembeau

Drives: Acura RSX-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
And Lago would pick the BRZ because he prefers it as a track car.

So there you have it. One prefers the BRZ because the cabin fits her better, and the other would choose the BRZ because he prefers the handling on the track.
Also keep in mind that in previous comparisons, Carlos picked the Miata because it was more fun on the road.
val_lixembeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #340
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by val_lixembeau View Post
Also keep in mind that in previous comparisons, Carlos picked the Miata because it was more fun on the road.
Hard to beat top-down motoring in terms of street fun Although I think you're thinking about an NC Miata, not ND.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #341
BRZ21
i kill cones.

Drives: around cones in a parking lot
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Prove it. I've followed this car from it's inception and have never seen any Toyota Japan exec of rep mention the Camaro or Mustang in anything. Maybe you overheard a Scion valet talking out his ass at some point by accident. Toyota knows very well it has no chance or desire to compete with cheap push-rod led sleds favored by dixie boyz. Toyota could make the best Mustang ever and almost nobody would buy it because it's Japanese or says Toyota on it. You'd have to be inane to think you could compete with that market as a foreigner. Dodge already has enough trouble doing that and it has a more 'attractive' nameplate for that market.

They have always planned for a cheaper car under the 86 as well as a more expensive one over it. This is nothing new and has nothing to do with your speculation about market reactions or poor planning. Toyoda wanted to make a cheap sports car because it's in his DNA. Period. He did it despite resistance from Subaru initially because he has huevos. This is fact, not fiction. You sound like you've been reading a little too much Left Lane News.

So yeah, people can rail against Toyota the appliance maker all they want, but GM and Nissan have pussied out of this market. Only Mazda and (maybe) Honda are left.

Honestly, I'm not even sure WTH market Nissan does well in these days at all.
nobody says this... and if they do they don't know much about cars/working on cars. your overall idea is correct but those are not these reasons why.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #342
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ21 View Post
nobody says this... and if they do they don't know much about cars/working on cars. your overall idea is correct but those are not these reasons why.
Nobody says what? That Toyota only makes appliances? You've lost me with your post...

Or do you mean there isn't actual xenophobic racist tendencies within certain car and truck markets in the US? That is absolutely true. Buy American! Pushrod V8s for life yo! No rice or Jap crap.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-19-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #343
Entroper

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF GT-S, 2002 Miata LS
Garage
Well, well, well: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11506219...-mx-5-platform

It's a little confusing, though. The 86's wheelbase is 10 inches longer than ND's, yet the article says Toyota would use the ND chassis for the next 86, and introduce a new one for a smaller sports car. I don't know why they wouldn't use the ND chassis for the smaller car.

Wouldn't that be something though? I keep saying, these cars are on the same team.
Entroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #344
BRZ21
i kill cones.

Drives: around cones in a parking lot
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Nobody says what? That Toyota only makes appliances? You've lost me with your post...

Or do you mean there isn't actual xenophobic racist tendencies within certain car and truck markets in the US? That is absolutely true. Buy American! Pushrod V8s for life yo! No rice or Jap crap.

I mean no one (should) talk down about Toyota and calls their cars "appliances"
Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #345
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entroper View Post

It's a little confusing, though. The 86's wheelbase is 10 inches longer than ND's, yet the article says Toyota would use the ND chassis for the next 86, and introduce a new one for a smaller sports car. I don't know why they wouldn't use the ND chassis for the smaller car.

Wouldn't that be something though? I keep saying, these cars are on the same team.
Something directly in between the Miata and the 86 would be an incredible car....... The wheelbase and fixed roof coupe body of the 86 with the front-mid engine placement & suspension of the MX5 + a good engine = greatness awaits...
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #346
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:

It's confusing because it is speculation. Key words are "could" and "possibly".
Take that link to the speculation thread.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #347
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Seems plausible, but keep in mind the shittiest auto rumors come out of Australia and that's the source for the blog post you linked.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015...platform-51970

Early data suggests that the current 86 chassis is better (purpose built, stiffer, better crash safety ratings, established OEM parts bin) than the ND Miata chassis so IDK if there is any benefit to moving platforms.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #348
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Seems plausible, but keep in mind the shittiest auto rumors come out of Australia and that's the source for the blog post you linked.

Early data suggests that the current 86 chassis is better (purpose built, stiffer, better crash safety ratings, established OEM parts bin) than the ND Miata chassis so IDK if there is any benefit to moving platforms.

Yeah, how often is that site 100% wrong? So far I've seen nothing come true from their supposed "insider" info...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (06-22-2015), Rampage (06-23-2015), ScoobsMcGee (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #349
Entroper

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF GT-S, 2002 Miata LS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post

Sure. It sounds like they mashed two rumors into one article, hoping something will stick. And it raises a lot of questions, like if Toyota is getting the chassis from Mazda, how will Subaru be involved (or will they at all)?

I certainly wouldn't rule it out, though. The 86 is Akio Toyoda's pet project, and he was heaping praise on Mazda for the ND when he announced their partnership last month. Toyota is already using the Mazda2 chassis for the Yaris.

Quote:
It would be news to me if the ND's chassis were less purpose-built than the 86. I've no doubt it's not as stiff or crash-worthy, but that's hardly surprising when comparing a convertible to a fixed-roof. To me, that's the biggest stumbling point of this suggestion, using a 2-seater convertible chassis for the next 86.
Entroper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entroper For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (06-23-2015), Sideways&Smiling (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #350
Jond63

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Sure. It sounds like they mashed two rumors into one article, hoping something will stick.
It would be news to me if the ND's chassis were less purpose-built than the 86. I've no doubt it's not as stiff or crash-worthy, but that's hardly surprising when comparing a convertible to a fixed-roof. To me, that's the biggest stumbling point of this suggestion, using a 2-seater convertible chassis for the next 86.
Don'cha know? They are going to use the FF RX-7 chassis for the next 86!
Jond63 is offline   Reply With Quote