follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #1065
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee-Hu View Post
WHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTT???
Mind. Blown. This is what I've been waiting for my entire life.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
Chee-Hu (08-28-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #1066
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point0 View Post
Ugh, the more engine bay pics I see, the more I hate that stock air inlet. If it would actually stay black, it wouldn't be such an eyesore. I wonder if tire shine would work on that...
Try silicon lubricant on it. It's inert and one of those things that enhances rubber and keeps it supple.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
2point0 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #1067
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Please tell how much the GS turbo/supercharger will be. Can I get a package deal if I get the GS header back exhaust with it?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #1068
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Got home from work and yep, my bar had arrived today! It was packaged well in the box, though there was a little tearing near one corner, but the bar sealed in the plastic bag had zero issues - looks perfect! The finish was better quality than I was expecting - I really like it and it really does match well with the intake manifold.

So since I already had a strut bar installed, installation was a little more involved, but not that much. Photo comparison between the Swift Racing Technologies and GrimmSpeed strut bar:

The SRT bar is installed below the factory bars, so you have to loosen all 8 locations (don't need to remove the fasteners at the firewall locations, just loosen them a bit) to get it out. With it out I tie wrapped the A/C line with the provided material (I see nothing wrong with the method) before putting the factory bars back in place with the Grimspeed bar and made sure the factory bars were positioned all the way into the direction of the firewall fastener locations before snugging them down. Torqued the locations in my preferred sequence (inner firewall positions-> inner strut positions-> outer strut positions-> outer firewall positions) then took the car back out and retraced my route to and from work.

Setup NOTE: I have the Turn-In Concept solid aluminum steering rack bushings and am currently running the stock Michelin Primacy HP's on wider lightweight wheels (Enkei Fujin's).

I did notice a difference from the SRT bar; it does seem the car is more buttoned down and less affected by bumps, seams, etc... And when cornering hard it's more, I guess relaxed and composed is the right thing to say....whereas the SRT is slightly more darty and upset. I just filled up today too, so as the fuel level goes down I'll try and see what the difference is as well at 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 tank - the FRS just gets better and better to me as the fuel level goes down, ~1/4 tank is absolute where handling reaches its zenith on this car.

I do like it so far. Installed pictures below:

Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #1069
Symmetrical

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@GrimmSpeed

Trying to send PM but your inbox is FULL
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #1070
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZNutt View Post
I will most definitely share how I did it. The key component is the rubber vibration isolator that has a M6 threaded stud on one end that picks up the existing nutplate on the fuel hose cover. The other end has female threads to accept a M6 bolt or screw. This allows the hose to still move when the engine moves. This is just a prototype that I threw together using mostly parts I had laying around. I will post up a complete list of parts and where to source them. Here's a link to the isolator:Amico 6mm Male Thread 20x20mm Rubber Base Vibration Isolator Mount Black - Amazon.com

OK, here's the rough parts list. No part numbers for the screws, washers and nuts, but I'm sure most can figure this out. All parts except the vibration isolator can be source from Lowes.

QTY 1: Rubber Lined Clamp, size 1" (see pic below for part number)
QTY 1: 19mm x 12mm Corner Brace (Stanley part number: S839-019)
QTY 1: Metric 6mm x 1mm (thread pitch) x 12mm (length) Screw or Bolt
QTY 1: Metric 6mm x 1mm (thread pitch) x 35mm (length) Screw or Bolt
QTY 4: Metric 6mm x 1mm (thread pitch) Nut or Lock Nut
QTY 4: Metric 6mm Washer
QTY 1: Amico 6mm Male Thread Isolator (link above)

Some things to note:
-The clamp size is probably closer to 7/8" or 15/16", but all they had was the 1".
-You can use regular free spinning nuts or lock nuts. If you use free spinning nuts, you may want to add lock washers.
- Make sure you only thread into the fuel hose bracket enough to break safety (1 or 2 threads showing past the nutplate on the bracket, reach your finger inside to check) and then lock it down with the nut. You do not want to thread the isolator all the way in, it will contact and possibly damage what is under the cover.
- When you are assembling everything in the car, try to orient the parts so that the AC line makes a natural bend down to the clamp. Don't put too much preload on the hose end fitting or lines.
- Finally, I assume no liability for damage to your car by installing this clamp set up. It has not been long term tested or approved for use by Subaru/Scion/Toyota or GrimmSpeed.

Cool parts list, wish I didn't live in middle of fucking no where and could easily gather all that lol.

You should do a package deal, I'd be in LOL.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #1071
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
PAID mine up MATT!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #1072
Speedie

Drives: Subaru BRZ and VW R36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi GS,

Just placed my order for a black bar. Tried to PM you but your email box is full.

If you ever get around to building a rhd mcb, let me know. Interested in one of those as well.

Speedie.
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #1073
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
My bar came in and the video instructions were GREAT, thank all @GrimmSpeed.

GrimmSpeed Bar Installed
Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #1074
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan65 View Post

GrimmSpeed Bar Installed
Video?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 4 Beta
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #1075
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YrchyZDwiQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]GrimmSpeed BRZ/FR-S Strut Tower Brace Install Guide - YouTube[/ame]

Spartan65 RAZR ~M
Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #1076
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
Hi GS,

Just placed my order for a black bar. Tried to PM you but your email box is full.

If you ever get around to building a rhd mcb, let me know. Interested in one of those as well.

Speedie.
Sounds good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan65 View Post

GrimmSpeed Bar Installed
Nice! Thanks for sharing! Love seeing people make our products their own!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezdup View Post
Video?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 4 Beta
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YrchyZDwiQ"]GrimmSpeed BRZ/FR-S Strut Tower Brace Install Guide - YouTube[/ame]

Matt Beenen
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
mezdup (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #1077
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
Install took all of about 10 minutes.

REALLY liking the difference the bar makes...

Overall, a "tighter" feel in the steering wheel... the minor "back and forth" I felt via the steering wheel -- even on pretty level roads -- is gone.

I'm feeling quite a bit of difference (IMHO) when driving over washboard roads or small bumps.

Thanks GS!
You're welcome, we really appreciate the feedback! Without sounding like a broken record, I absolutely love how much people notice the removal of NVH, and how it has completely changed the feeling of the vehicle even from a daily driver standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
I agree! The install was very easy and the car drives and feels better! This was one of the best upgrades I have done to the BRZ and the red bar looks awesome!
Same thing as above, thank you very much for your feedback. It honestly makes my day to know that I've made yours. All i needed to read was "best upgrade," and I'm ready to start making the nest "best upgrade."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opposed View Post
Stopped by and picked mine up today at the shop. Slapped it on in the parking lot and was on my way in 10 minutes. I can feel the difference everyone is talking about. Its a more planted feel, especially going over bumps in the middle of a turn. $100 for something you can feel? No brainer in my book.
I was like 8 feet from you, wish I had known and I would have come out! I haven't seen you in a couple of weeks man, glad we could help get that done for you. Thank you so much for the feedback on your car's feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrider77 View Post
So, after installing this and driving to work today, got to say.....It is awesome.
If i were to start all over, or even just to recommend to a new twin owner, make this your first purchase.

Amazing how much better the car feels, as someone else mentioned, steering feels tighter, less play, just solid.

Great purchase!
Yes!!! I can see us using that quote somewhere in some marketing literature Again, without sounding like a broken record, it makes my day to know we could make you love your car even more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Got home from work and yep, my bar had arrived today! It was packaged well in the box, though there was a little tearing near one corner, but the bar sealed in the plastic bag had zero issues - looks perfect! The finish was better quality than I was expecting - I really like it and it really does match well with the intake manifold.

So since I already had a strut bar installed, installation was a little more involved, but not that much. Photo comparison between the Swift Racing Technologies and GrimmSpeed strut bar:

The SRT bar is installed below the factory bars, so you have to loosen all 8 locations (don't need to remove the fasteners at the firewall locations, just loosen them a bit) to get it out. With it out I tie wrapped the A/C line with the provided material (I see nothing wrong with the method) before putting the factory bars back in place with the Grimspeed bar and made sure the factory bars were positioned all the way into the direction of the firewall fastener locations before snugging them down. Torqued the locations in my preferred sequence (inner firewall positions-> inner strut positions-> outer strut positions-> outer firewall positions) then took the car back out and retraced my route to and from work.

Setup NOTE: I have the Turn-In Concept solid aluminum steering rack bushings and am currently running the stock Michelin Primacy HP's on wider lightweight wheels (Enkei Fujin's).

I did notice a difference from the SRT bar; it does seem the car is more buttoned down and less affected by bumps, seams, etc... And when cornering hard it's more, I guess relaxed and composed is the right thing to say....whereas the SRT is slightly more darty and upset. I just filled up today too, so as the fuel level goes down I'll try and see what the difference is as well at 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 tank - the FRS just gets better and better to me as the fuel level goes down, ~1/4 tank is absolute where handling reaches its zenith on this car.

I do like it so far. Installed pictures below:
I know right? It matches the intake manifold and cover perfectly, and I had failed to previously mention that I believe.

At first I was worried in reading your post: "I did notice a difference from the SRT bar; it does seem the car is more buttoned down and less affected by bumps, seams, etc..." But then I realized what you meant. You didn't mean coming from the other bar, but rather compared to. That is a massive compliment, and we really appreciate that you were willing to try a different design for a product that you already owned.

It's not hard to see major differences between the two bars, and I'll leave it at that as your review of how it "feels" says more about it's function than anyone could deduce from comparing designs. We let our designs and quality do the talking Thanks again!

Quote:
Ugh, the more engine bay pics I see, the more I hate that stock air inlet. If it would actually stay black, it wouldn't be such an eyesore. I wonder if tire shine would work on that...
Argh, I know, ours has turned that same gross blue color too, clearly someone needs to go back to their material science class, because that was a poor choice if it doesn't even last a year...

Which is why... Oh I see Matt already dropped the bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMBRZ View Post
0.o What? When? Where? How much? Such a tease!!!
Induction. When it's done. GrimmSpeed. TBD. Mmmmmhmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
can i get the two diagonal bars painted by you guys?... i want them all to match now
These are powdercoated, and if I were you I would bring them to a local powdercoater along with the strut bar, and tell them that is what you want, this way you'll save a massive amount of postage since you're in OZ.

OR, I recommend ordering a can of VHT wrinkle black spray paint. It is literally the cheapest alternative to get to match our bar. That's what we were thinking about doing to save some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
I just purchased an intake from "the other company..." What a difference a few days makes... I would have held off had I known to be on the lookout for a GS option.... (sighhhhh)
Nothing wrong with that, we're so far away from a finished product that you'll have plenty of time to use and sell it

Quote:
LOL you guys...tryin to make me spend my monies!
All your monies are belong to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Mind. Blown. This is what I've been waiting for my entire life.
I have so many feels right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Please tell how much the GS turbo/supercharger will be. Can I get a package deal if I get the GS header back exhaust with it?
It's actually going to be a twin-charged, compound turbo, converted to a three cylinder, with the 4th parasitic cylinder used to further compress the incoming charge. Should be good to 300lbs of boost we're thinking... Get in on the group buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetrical View Post
@GrimmSpeed

Trying to send PM but your inbox is FULL
I believe that has been taken care of, should be all good now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
Hi GS,

Speedie.
I think we might actually begin working on that rhd mcb, don't quote me on it, but it might be in the works soon. We got love for rhd too!

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback and the pictures so far, keep it coming!!!

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
2point0 (08-28-2013), chanomatik (08-28-2013), DGMBRZ (08-28-2013), SkAsphalt (08-28-2013), Spartan65 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #1078
DGMBRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ in DGM
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Ok you guys made my mind up. After having waited and researched so many different intakes, I shall wait for you guys. Can't wait!
DGMBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DGMBRZ For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (08-28-2013)