follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
GeekB

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shortblock Replacement

Some info on my car before I tell you guys about my issue. My car has a little under 11k miles on it and I had installed the AVO turbo kit around 8500 miles. I was driving fine until one night my car started chugging and then just stalled. Turns out I had the rough idling/stalling issue and there was a service bulletin for it.

Found faults P000B and P000A, right intake and exhaust camshaft position.
Switched OCV'S on intake and exhaust from bank 1 to 2.
Problem stayed on bank one intake sprocket and problem moved to bank 2
exhaust. (OCV)
Right bank one intake sprocket and left exhaust (OCV) solenoid need replacement
per bulletin 02-132-12R.

I put my stock manifold back on and brought my car back for the repairs. They gave me a call yesterday and told me I needed my shortblock replaced because they found metal debris in the oil plate and that the oil was sludgy. The dealer blamed it on me "overboosting" but my kit runs at 5 psi and I had a tune as well. I did not have the kit on for that long so I'm not even sure if it was the turbo kit that did this. I can't tell if the dealer is shafting me and trying to make me pay for a new shortblock.
GeekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
The Turbo kit plus tune voided that warranty. I don't see them fixing this out of there pocket. Good luck though.

as they say gotta pay to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekB View Post
Some info on my car before I tell you guys about my issue. My car has a little under 11k miles on it and I had installed the AVO turbo kit around 8500 miles. I was driving fine until one night my car started chugging and then just stalled. Turns out I had the rough idling/stalling issue and there was a service bulletin for it.

Found faults P000B and P000A, right intake and exhaust camshaft position.
Switched OCV'S on intake and exhaust from bank 1 to 2.
Problem stayed on bank one intake sprocket and problem moved to bank 2
exhaust. (OCV)
Right bank one intake sprocket and left exhaust (OCV) solenoid need replacement
per bulletin 02-132-12R.

I put my stock manifold back on and brought my car back for the repairs. They gave me a call yesterday and told me I needed my shortblock replaced because they found metal debris in the oil plate and that the oil was sludgy. The dealer blamed it on me "overboosting" but my kit runs at 5 psi and I had a tune as well. I did not have the kit on for that long so I'm not even sure if it was the turbo kit that did this. I can't tell if the dealer is shafting me and trying to make me pay for a new shortblock.
Rayme (01-29-2014)
Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
dehydratedH2O

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
The Turbo kit plus tune voided that warranty. I don't see them fixing this out of there pocket. Good luck though.

as they say gotta pay to play.
there's no such thing as voiding a warranty on a car in the US. in order for Subaru to deny your warranty claim, they have to have a good reason/explanation that your modification caused the damage that you're trying to claim is covered under warranty.

unfortunately for OP, a turbo (especially if there were boost creep) is a likely cause of the problem, so the dealer is most likely justified in denying the claim. you could fight it and probably get the claim to go through, but it'll take a lot of time/effort and perhaps a lawyer. if I were you, I'd pay to play and sell off most of the parts in the old block to make up some dough.
dehydratedH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dehydratedH2O For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Some mods like a catback exhaust or K&N air filter would be considered safe and a dealer (even if they tried) would have a hard time sticking you for the repairs. However, mods like a turbo kit introduce so many potential problem variables that it's understandable that a dealer wouldn't cover your engine in the event of a failure. It's unfortunate, because it's possible the turbo wasn't the cause of the problem. But you could have been running very lean, or running into knock conditions, so many possibilities.

Even with a lawyer, I don't see you winning this one.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
GeekB

They actually called me back earlier and said they would cover it under "good will" warranty. Everything sounds so fishy though and seems like they were trying to scare me into doing more work. They hardly ran any tests and straight away blamed it on the turbo. When I asked if they could pinpoint the cause of the problem the dealer wouldn't give me a straight answer.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
rapidcars

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lots of people had this issue when they were stock. I doubt it's related to the turbo. Good luck with everything.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
DOOD! Get your car in there and get it all on paper before they change their minds!

I pretty much have gathered that once a turbo kit is installed, I'll have a hard time with any kind of engine/drivetrain warranty issue, because most issues can be blamed on the modifications.

In your case though, they may be aware of a particular issue that other non FI cars are having, so they may think you'd still have a good case if they were to deny your claim.

Nice dealer though in any case. Good Luck!
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Bad Habits

Drives: br zed
Why did you put the stock manifold back on? So they knew it was boosted and told you they would not cover it but are now saying they will?

I agree, get it in there and get them to fix it because they sound pretty bipolar. Thats a hell of a 180, nope you blew your car up and we don't have to fix it to ok we will "good faith" replace an entire short block and all the related internals that might need to be replaced as well.
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
They actually called me back earlier and said they would cover it under "good will" warranty. Everything sounds so fishy though and seems like they were trying to scare me into doing more work. They hardly ran any tests and straight away blamed it on the turbo. When I asked if they could pinpoint the cause of the problem the dealer wouldn't give me a straight answer.
that's awesome. shady or not, you're lucky to get work done to the motor of a boosted car.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You are lucky. Go buy a lottery ticket.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can't tell if the dealer is shafting me and trying to make me pay for a new shortblock.
Quote:
They actually called me back earlier and said they would cover it under "good will" warranty.
I think it's safe to say that your dealer is most certainly not shafting you by giving you a new block under warranty coverage.

Go buy a lottery ticket and if you win, buy the guys at CSG a new block.

-alex
mav1178 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just because you take the good will doesn't mean you won't be covered in the future, barring of course the possibility that your mods cause problems which you will be on your own to fix.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Awesome that they are covering you. They have every right not to.

utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
GeekB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habits View Post
Why did you put the stock manifold back on? So they knew it was boosted and told you they would not cover it but are now saying they will?

I agree, get it in there and get them to fix it because they sound pretty bipolar. Thats a hell of a 180, nope you blew your car up and we don't have to fix it to ok we will "good faith" replace an entire short block and all the related internals that might need to be replaced as well.
I had taken it in initially when the turbo kit was still on. I should have just taken it off before bringing it in, but they told me to just remove it since it was blocking the way for the work that needed to be done for the rough idling issue and they would cover it under warranty. So I did, then they tell me since my car was modified they might not cover the work. I don't know what's going on cause they keep going back and forth, but I'm glad they're going to do it for me. I just hope everything will be good once it's all done, my car has been out of commission for about 3 months now.