follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2016, 05:46 AM   #1
vincelive123

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to prevent broken wheel stud

Iv changed my FRS wheels constantly every time the weather changes and there's snow on the ground to my stock rims into my winter wheels for almost two years now, BUT this past 2 months Iv broken and snapped 2 wheel studs and seized 1 lug nut on 3 sides(only the passenger rear wheel stud are perfect).
I got so pissed off and decided to change all 20 of them for new ones. Something bad happened to the wheel stud whenever I would swap them when it was 20-36 degrees outside. Any idea why my wheel studs just recently started braking down? I torque them to 85 just like what the manual says.

1. Does the climate temperature have any play in this?
2. Are my stock lug nuts just worn out from all the constant swapping? (I swap tires every time the roads here turn into Ice, I'm stationed in MT it snows a lot)
3. Am I not suppose to Torque it to 85? Are they bottoming out?
4. Should I start using anti seize on my threads?
5. When I put on my wheels while jacked up, I tightnen my lug nuts hand tight(star), then lower the car and torque them. Am I doing this the wrong way?

I don't want to break my new set of wheel studs.
vincelive123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:53 AM   #2
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yes the climate has a lot to do with expansion contraction. Constantly removing wheels and over tightening all contribute. Even if your not over tightening them, the other two play in.

Maybe after market studs built for racing.
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 AM   #3
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
What you described is pretty similar to what @Guff experienced before:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51038

The consensus is that the OEM lug studs are garbage, and that ARP studs are recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincelive123 View Post
Iv changed my FRS wheels constantly every time the weather changes and there's snow on the ground to my stock rims into my winter wheels for almost two years now, BUT this past 2 months Iv broken and snapped 2 wheel studs and seized 1 lug nut on 3 sides(only the passenger rear wheel stud are perfect).
I got so pissed off and decided to change all 20 of them for new ones. Something bad happened to the wheel stud whenever I would swap them when it was 20-36 degrees outside. Any idea why my wheel studs just recently started braking down? I torque them to 85 just like what the manual says.

1. Does the climate temperature have any play in this?
2. Are my stock lug nuts just worn out from all the constant swapping? (I swap tires every time the roads here turn into Ice, I'm stationed in MT it snows a lot)
3. Am I not suppose to Torque it to 85? Are they bottoming out?
4. Should I start using anti seize on my threads?
5. When I put on my wheels while jacked up, I tightnen my lug nuts hand tight(star), then lower the car and torque them. Am I doing this the wrong way?

I don't want to break my new set of wheel studs.
dont over torque them and put some lube/anti-seize on nuts/studs and the tapered mating surface between nut and wheel, if they salt the roads it will make everything seize up if its not got lube/anti-seize on it.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:09 AM   #5
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
I change wheels on my cars 2-4 times a year. I use a pneumatic impact wrench and tighten hard. Never bothered to check the torque, probably way over spec every time...
I've never broken a stud or a nut. It's nearly always cold when I change wheels.

So it sounds like you are way more cautious than I am, and yet you have these problems. It's definitely weird.

When you're not on stock wheels and lug nuts, do you have good quality lug nuts that fits with the wheels?
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #6
vincelive123

I use the factory lug nuts
Old 01-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Shot in the dark..

My factory lug nuts are solid cap-style nuts. When I bought my winter steelies, they came with their own nuts that weren't caps. Are you using steel wheels w/ your winter tires? If so, it might be possible that the bolts protrude through the steel wheels a slight bit more than they do the stock wheels, and your cap-style oem nuts are deforming them when you tighten them down. Just an idea.. I have no idea how valid it is. I offer it because I was curious as to why they bothered to include a set of lugnuts w/ my steel wheels, and why those weren't cap nuts; this was my guess as to the reason. Anyone else know for sure?

AND.. to the OP.. why are you swapping your tires so frequently? If it's cold, just leave your winter tires on for the season. Snow tires CAN be driven when it's not CURRENTLY snowing...

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Lav (07-03-2020), Tcoat (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Shot in the dark..

My factory lug nuts are solid cap-style nuts. When I bought my winter steelies, they came with their own nuts that weren't caps. Are you using steel wheels w/ your winter tires? If so, it might be possible that the bolts protrude through the steel wheels a slight bit more than they do the stock wheels, and your cap-style oem nuts are deforming them when you tighten them down. Just an idea.. I have no idea how valid it is. I offer it because I was curious as to why they bothered to include a set of lugnuts w/ my steel wheels, and why those weren't cap nuts; this was my guess as to the reason. Anyone else know for sure?

AND.. to the OP.. why are you swapping your tires so frequently? If it's cold, just leave your winter tires on for the season. Snow tires CAN be driven when it's not CURRENTLY snowing...

Barry
This is a valid theory. I had to get new nuts for my steel rims since the stock ones were not extending far enough to tighten properly.

Changing them that often he would probably be a good candidate for a pit crew!

Cole (01-10-2016), go_a_way1 (01-10-2016), MuseChaser (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

Changing them that often he would probably be a good candidate for a pit crew

Sorry this is off topic but WTF does the guy in the bottom middle do?? Is he moral support for the driver or something??
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Sorry this is off topic but WTF does the guy in the bottom middle do?? Is he moral support for the driver or something??
Back in the day it was instructions, tactics or issues. Today maybe the same thing they just don't want to say on the radio?
go_a_way1 (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
vincelive123

I changed them at lest 3 times a month.... Yes I use stock lug nuts with my steel winter tires BUT figured out that I should use OPEN end lug nuts with my winter set, to play it safe so thats what I have on now....

And yea I know you can use them when not snowing, but I have roads that I take to work that's hard to resist not to DRIFT and slide around on =) my snow tires will have to get replaced often! N they're kind of pricy lol. Oh the struggle.......... Lol
Old 01-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
Scuba86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram Raven
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
When I got my wheels put on at discount tire yesterday they torqued them all to 80lbs.
Scuba86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anti seize lube will help you, if not, just go for upgraded lugs. Most people are switching to APR. Think they're common and easy enough to find too at your local shop. Found some at my local muscle car shop.
The the anti seize is good for wheel to wheel hubs too.
And don't do open open end nuts, rust will be evil.
EDIT: nvm, someone said something about not using anti seize.

Last edited by Chanpion; 01-10-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincelive123 View Post
I changed them at lest 3 times a month.... Yes I use stock lug nuts with my steel winter tires BUT figured out that I should use OPEN end lug nuts with my winter set, to play it safe so thats what I have on now....

And yea I know you can use them when not snowing, but I have roads that I take to work that's hard to resist not to DRIFT and slide around on =) my snow tires will have to get replaced often! N they're kind of pricy lol. Oh the struggle.......... Lol
I would go for a set of good racing lugs if you change that often. The stock ones are simply not designed with that frequent of change in mind and you are simply fatiguing them. They are a hardened steel and get even harder when it is cold so that increases the risk of breaking them.
Also make sure you if you are using a baron them to keep the pressure centered(you probably know this but will throw it in anyway) since lateral pressure and lugs don't play well together. I cringe every time I see some guy throw a T baron a lug nut and then use their foot on one side to get enough torque.