follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #43
brzzy
@anthonysestito

Drives: 2013 Sterling Silver Metallic BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, winter tires are a given... I don't know why you'd try to daily in snow without them.

We had 5cm in my area the other day. Was a total bitch to get around (I don't drive very far anyways) but really ~20km/h easy on the throttle, don't let the tires spin too much and you're alright. The soft/fresh snow is gonna suck. But once other people have driven on it and it's compacted a little the drive is much much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IG: @ANTHONYSESTITO
brzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzzy For This Useful Post:
PhantomX (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
what are tyres?
Etymology 1[edit]

The Oxford English Dictionary suggests that the word derives from attire, while other sources suggest a connection with the verb to tie. The spelling tyre is used in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand after being revived in the 19th century. Both tyre and tire were used in the 15th and 16th centuries. The United States did not adopt the revival of tyre, and tire is the only spelling currently used there and in Canada.

An antique tyre

Alternative forms[edit]

Pronunciation[edit]

Noun[edit]

tyre ‎(plural tyres)
  1. (British, Irish, South African, Australian and NZ spelling) The ring-shaped protective covering around a wheel which is usually made of rubber or plastic composite and is either pneumatic or solid.
Derived terms[edit]

Braces (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #45
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
am I the only crazy one that loves sliding this car when there's snow with stock tires on quiet side streets?!? (safely and in control on relatively flat roads of course )

But yea...since there's no grip whatsoever even with 1cm of snow, you'll get stuck with the slightest slope on a driveway so you'll have to finesse the car out careful without spinning out of control
Like I preach all the time it isn't the tread that are at issue with the stock tire it is the temperature. BC, PNW and many of the northern states you can probably get away with all seasons or even brief periods on the summers. Where it actually gets cold is a whole different ball game. Was minus 20 (-4F) here this morning and even at that relatively warm temperature my snow tires were firm enough that I gunned it a bit to heavy on a corner and swung the rear out by accident. If I had all seasons or summers on I would probably still be spinning down the road.
Summer tires are very hard so they soften in the heat, all seasons are a little softer so they work in temperatures approaching but still above freeing and winter tires are soft as shit until the temperature drops to just above and below freeing.
When talking sliding around on summer tires in the cold and snow you may not always have the safety and control you think you do.

Having said all that I love sliding it around in the snow with the snow tires on so that I know I actually do have some control.
Cole (01-05-2016), humfrz (01-05-2016), Interbeing (01-05-2016), RobertPaulson (01-06-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #46
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Like I preach all the time it isn't the tread that are at issue with the stock tire it is the temperature. BC, PNW and many of the northern states you can probably get away with all seasons or even brief periods on the summers. Where it actually gets cold is a whole different ball game. Was minus 20 (-4F) here this morning and even at that relatively warm temperature my snow tires were firm enough that I gunned it a bit to heavy on a corner and swung the rear out by accident. If I had all seasons or summers on I would probably still be spinning down the road.
Summer tires are very hard so they soften in the heat, all seasons are a little softer so they work in temperatures approaching but still above freeing and winter tires are soft as shit until the temperature drops to just above and below freeing.
When talking sliding around on summer tires in the cold and snow you may not always have the safety and control you think you do.

Having said all that I love sliding it around in the snow with the snow tires on so that I know I actually do have some control.
I had a few close calls with some power poles.......in the alleyway lol

G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (01-06-2016), Tcoat (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #47
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I lived in Seattle for a couple of years.

With light snow one day, tv and radio recommended taking public transportation rather than driving one's own car.

Same day whilst downtown, Near Pike Place watched a public bus attempt to go up the hill towards First Hill or Capitol Hill. Hopeless it was for that bus. Nice means of transportation if you wanna sit on a bus for a couple of hours waiting for it to be towed...or for the snow to melt.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #48
tvrbob86

Drives: 1986 TVR 280i, 1994 Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
I had a few close calls with some power poles.......in the alleyway lol

That car doing the endo is about 10 miles from here. I remember when it happened.

Michelin X-Ice Xi3's are the answer. When it snows, I look for excuses to take out my '94 Miata.
tvrbob86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvrbob86 For This Useful Post:
G-awesome (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #49
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
I lived in Seattle for a couple of years.

With light snow one day, tv and radio recommended taking public transportation rather than driving one's own car.

Same day whilst downtown, Near Pike Place watched a public bus attempt to go up the hill towards First Hill or Capitol Hill. Hopeless it was for that bus. Nice means of transportation if you wanna sit on a bus for a couple of hours waiting for it to be towed...or for the snow to melt.
speaking of public buses, I remember this near my neighborhood when we had a sudden snowfall a couple years back.

Luckily I was 2 buses ahead of this gongshow because all the buses were delayed that day. All season tires on stretched trolley buses is a nightmare waiting to happen. Buses either get stuck while attempting to go up a mild slope or ice builds up on the trolley lines making it useless.
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #50
Sideways
BRZZZZZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm using my BRZ this winter also. Just got back from the long christmas road trip and with my ws80 winter tires, it handled great. I love driving it in winter, specially with heated seat!!
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #51
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
I bought my 2013 FRS back in May and today was the first time I experienced snow with her. There was only like an inch of snow and she was undrivable, my traction control would constantly flash and I felt my brakes chattering (I hope that's ABS kicking in). When I turned around to go back home to switch to my 1998 Corolla, I couldn't even get up the bump in my driveway. Any tips for surviving winter? While reading through the forum, I guess I overestimated the performance of this car in snow... I was thinking about getting chains or 2 snow tires for the back or maybe even trading her in for an AWD...

I would really want to daily the FRS.

Here's a pic of her when it just started snowing
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
Just have fun with it in the snow and enjoy the challenge, thats what i do.

High and dry until spring, my truck is for the challenge. The more you drive yours in the winter, the more my resale value goes up (not that I'm willing to sell).

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
Absolutely, tires could make the world of difference if your on some extreme performance summer tires or something of the sort.
In all seriousness, 2 winter tires and some sand bags in the back and your good.

Sounds like my truck, Goodyear AT's all around and (3) 60# sandbags. Steering and traction are very good. All's good until I want bad, winter was made for drifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
4 would be even better, because steering is helpful.

See above.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #52
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-by-U View Post
The more you drive yours in the winter, the more my resale value goes up (not that I'm willing to sell).
The longer yours is off the road, the less it is being enjoyed.

Check and mate.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pushrod For This Useful Post:
PureShield (01-06-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #53
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

Check and mate.

True, I may not be able to enjoy my twin, but I'll enjoy it longer. As for the winter drift, my truck is RWD and just as much fun, if not more in the snow. Check, but no mate.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #54
Talus1

Drives: '06 Cayman, ‘23 BRZ Sport-Tech
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Like I preach all the time it isn't the tread that are at issue with the stock tire it is the temperature.
It isn't all about the temperature. You need some tread, too. I tried to get through my first winter with the BRZ on the snows I had used for the previous 6 seasons on my WRXs. I put the best ones on the back. They had 0.140" of tread! Needless to say it didn't go so well. I'm glad it was the relatively easy winter of 2013-14 and this past year!
Tcoat (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #55
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus1 View Post
It isn't all about the temperature. You need some tread, too. I tried to get through my first winter with the BRZ on the snows I had used for the previous 6 seasons on my WRXs. I put the best ones on the back. They had 0.140" of tread! Needless to say it didn't go so well. I'm glad it was the relatively easy winter of 2013-14 and this past year!
Ya reading back through it does appear I was saying tread doesn't matter. That was not the intent. Was trying to point out that there is a lot more to a winter tire than just tread. Of course actually having a proper winter snow and ice tread (that isn't worn off) makes a difference as well.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #56
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

Check and mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-by-U View Post
True, I may not be able to enjoy my twin, but I'll enjoy it longer. As for the winter drift, my truck is RWD and just as much fun, if not more in the snow. Check, but no mate.
Hey you two no more mating on the forum! Get a room.