follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transmission oil change 2nd time - previously amsoil

Hey guys ! I know a lot of you don't like talking about transmission fluids.. however, I've been reading a lot on this forum and many people have different questions and received different answer. Yes, I know it's life.

The quote bellow is what raised my concern!

I was running Amsoil Transmission Oil 75w90 and recently I had my synchro replaced due to bending of the teeth! Now I don't want to make the same mistake. People recommended me to use Amsoil Syncromesh. Although, it's 5w30. Should we not replace fluid with 75w90?

So my questions are:

1. Should I find a oil thats 75w90, not 5w30?
2. Should I try Amsoil transmission fluid again, the problem might of been bad shifting?
3. You recommend anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
+1! Like any forum though, you just need to filter out the noise.

Synchromesh Manual Transmission Lubricants.
Gear Tribology and Lubrication

I'm guessing that Motul claims Gear 300 meets both GL4 and GL5 because it may contain metal deactivators. I do not blend their gear oil, so maybe it would be best to ask Motul how they meet both specs. Or maybe Molakule at bitog can shed some light on this. He has blended gear oil and highly recommends Gear 300 for Subaru differentials.

-Dennis
Old 01-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #2
Mr Nerd

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There are a lot more factors to gear oil than just brand and weight. Many brands do not label all of the additives and the chemistry behind them. Gear oil that is not specified by your manufacturer can have detrimental effects on the internals of the tranny due to unknown additives. Stick with Toyota recommended tranny fluid and you will have no issues, plain and simple.

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5871bbc6...nsaxle_oil.pdf

Last edited by Mr Nerd; 01-08-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Mr Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Read your manual, they call out oil weights for a reason. Use what you want as long as its the right spec for your car.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-08-2017)