follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #29
TOLM

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzburg View Post
I’m looking forward to some honest feedback here. Obviously we are all biased towards the twins, but read on...

Background: I have a 2015 FRS with 120,000 KMs. It’s my DD, it’s been treated well, serviced at the proper intervals, new plugs, tranny flush. Running headers with a stage 2 OFT tune...but I’m getting the wife’s Vibe as a daily so I can tuck my FRS away as a weekend toy.

Questiono I drop what is effectively $6-8k to FI my ride, with a tune, clutch, all the supporting mods, or do I take that cash and purchase a new toy, like a WRX or Mustang, BMW 235, etc trade in the FRS and make payments on something new?

I’d like vet to hear the communities thoughts.
I moved from 2015 cvt wrx into 2017 brz manual. Both being stock wrx faster and handles pretty well but brz is just way more fun to drive ))
TOLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #30
Votlon

Drives: Scion FRS || Ducati 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
Here’s what you do...tell yourself you will hold off on boosting your car for 1 month.
When that month passes tell yourself “ok you know what let me hold off just one more month. Just one”

Repeat this after every month and you’ll soon realize that the car isn’t so bad without FI and you just saved $6-$8k.

If you really want my honest opinion, both options are terrible financial decisions, especially if you go the newer car route. Do you need the FI or do you just want it? Can you see yourself with the FR-S five years from now still? Sure, if you have the money I guess it doesn’t matter.

Drive your Vibe for 3 or 4 weeks straight, then jump back into your FR-S and you’ll probably reconsider your desires. Or maybe not.

I highly suggest trying that though.

You sir should write a self help book for car addicts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Votlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #31
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
A local guy bought my previously supercharged frs from the dealership. I'm using him as a guinea pig to determine if I'd over go FI again. But for now I'd say stay NA.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #32
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC View Post
But if you've been to the track a few times and you just want the turbo for some fun on the highway, I would get the M235i. It's still a nice, nimble RWD car for the track, and plenty of power for highway pulls. Out of those three I think its the closest to a turbo FR-S.
I agree with this advice. If you have no interest in tracking your car and just want a small RWD turbo car for the street, I'd trade for an M235i. You don't have to worry about all the headaches of an aftermarket turbo. Granted it's kind of porky at ~3500 lbs, but I think it's worth it for an OEM reliable car that will put down 340whp/370wtq with a tune and intake/exhaust.

But if you have any interest in the track at all, keep the FR-S and put your money towards seat time and consumables. The Twins are a phenomenal starting point (or ending point) if you enjoy going to the track and learning how to push your limits as a driver.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
fritzburg (12-03-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #33
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I would go FI. Waiting to go FI myself as soon as the time is right. Want more power down low and more straight line speed.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #34
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I would go FI. Waiting to go FI myself as soon as the time is right. Want more power down low and more straight line speed.
Yeah, I assume you need the power to close gaps on the 401 to stop people from merging.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #35
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Yeah, I assume you need the power to close gaps on the 401 to stop people from merging.
lol!

What I do sometimes is pull out in front of the people that go into the merge lane from behind me and block them from skipping ahead. Then they honk at me for some reason. Would like the extra power so I can block faster
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #36
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
How is that a useless comparison? Tq doesn't mean less with awd it means more if anything because it can actually apply it to the ground.
More grip, yes. However with a small increase the gain is offset by the extra weight an AWD system comes with, not to mention the power loss in drivetrain to four wheels instead of two.

Weight still trumps all. A semi truck has 1500+tq driven by 6 wheels usually... Just to show you can have all the grip and torque in the world it means nothing if weight is not factored into the equation.

Apologies for the negative opening line in my last post. Intentions were only to clarify that hp and tq are false metrics without weight factored in regards to speed.
TorontoNat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorontoNat For This Useful Post:
fritzburg (12-03-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #37
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
More grip, yes. However with a small increase the gain is offset by the extra weight an AWD system comes with, not to mention the power loss in drivetrain to four wheels instead of two.

Weight still trumps all. A semi truck has 1500+tq driven by 6 wheels usually... Just to show you can have all the grip and torque in the world it means nothing if weight is not factored into the equation.

Apologies for the negative opening line in my last post. Intentions were only to clarify that hp and tq are false metrics without weight factored in regards to speed.
I agree with your conclusion but I don't agree with your supporting statements at all. Awd cars do more with less in a straight line all the time and the semi argument is silly since the situation (power aside) is so different. A semi has about a dozen shifts before sixty and redlines just over a cold idle for a gas car. How much power would it take to get an frs to match a gtr 0-60?
Old 11-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #38
TorontoNat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
I agree with your conclusion but I don't agree with your supporting statements at all. Awd cars do more with less in a straight line all the time and the semi argument is silly since the situation (power aside) is so different. A semi has about a dozen shifts before sixty and redlines just over a cold idle for a gas car. How much power would it take to get an frs to match a gtr 0-60?
Fair. No amount of power will help an frs in that situation. Mayyyyyybe if it somehow had a double-clutch gearbox, fatass drag tires and longer gear ratio on first with LS swap or something but that's just not realistic lol. Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorontoNat For This Useful Post:
fatoni (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #39
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I don't feel like this is a totally accurate comparison. A semis torque is low end and not meant for top speed and quick acceleration like a sports car. The low end torque if for pulling heavy weight more so than because the cab of the truck is heavy.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-29-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 02:57 AM   #40
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Useless comparison..

Your Lancer weight: 3517 lb...
Your FRS weight: 2,806 lb...

People often forget that the only thing that really matters for your "buttdyno" is power to weight ratio.. HP on it's own is a false metric.. NM more accurate anyway. +25hp/+100tq on an AWD monster like that means a lot less than it would for a light FRS... This is assuming your lancer was not weight reduced.

I do agree tho... don't sell, don't go FI. And @OP if you think a mustang will be fun to drive in comparison just remember that not so long ago those still sported truck suspension aka solid rear axles..
The power curve is what matters. My evo makes 350ft-lb of tq at 2,500 rpm while my frs makes about 147 ft-lb at the same rpm, which makes the evo actually a lot faster since the power ratio is almost double for the evo at the lower rpm range. Along with the overall higher peak tq, there is a higher hp average along the power curve for the evo.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #41
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
As usual thread being derailed with pointless comments... anyway...

Similar situation. Had my car 4 years and love it.
Probably getting a paid for work car soon, but regardless I am going Fi (picking my car up on the weekend. Woot woot!)...

My reasons are simple... I love the car, it’s handling and rwd character. A new car is much more expensive when you included insurance increases etc, plus all I really want is a little more power.
I’ve also enjoyed the process of reading, research, learning about FI, etc which adds to the overall enjoyment I guess.

Personally... I say keep the car and go FI

Last edited by 86 South Africa; 11-30-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86 South Africa For This Useful Post:
fritzburg (12-03-2017), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #42
TorontoNat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
I don't feel like this is a totally accurate comparison. A semis torque is low end and not meant for top speed and quick acceleration like a sports car. The low end torque if for pulling heavy weight more so than because the cab of the truck is heavy.
That's the whole point. Exactly, all just to say that there are more factors involved including function. Tq and hp don't always mean more speed hence the semi example. Thank you.