follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #15
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinski View Post
Yes.

If you still want to pursue it, make the seller provide pictures of the damage as well as description and receipts of the repairs. If it was merely cosmetic (bumper cover and trunk lid), then you may want to float a low-ball if you like the car otherwise ($20k-ish). If it was severely damaged or they refuse/can't provide those details, just walk away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
Like someone else stated, unless you can get specific details, photos, repair sheets on the accident damage, I would walk (regardless of price). Another option, would be if they would allow you to take it to a mechanic or body shop you trust for evaluation.

Before title, and dealer fees, my 2014 Limited was $26,400 (no tax, since I had a trade). I can't see paying more for a used twin than you could purchase a new one for.
That is a good approach to see if they would come down on the price. However, this dealer is like CarMax, no haggle pricing. Another thing is that this car is located an hour and a half from where I live, arranging for the car to be inspected at a mechanical and body shop level would be a hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru86 View Post
I think series blue is a waste of money just new or used. They just added some aesthetics to it and jacked up the price. I would just go with the limited or premium and use the extra money to buy after market kits. Rear tail lights like the new Valenti Jewel tail light or the Tom's LED Clear tail (depending on the color of the car), makes it look so much better, and that's just the rear tail light. Also if you want to go performance, I would first purchase an Open Flash Tablet and go from there.

Hope this helps
If I were to get this Series.Blue BRZ, I would not modify it. It would stay stock as much as possible. At most, I would get the JDM clear corner side marker lights.

I am not much of a fan of the aftermarket tail lights currently available for this car. Maybe the Toms, but everything else does not look too appealing to me. As far as mods for the engine, I would keep it stock for the sake if I need warranty work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post
Hard question to answer since cars are such a personal thing. You would basically be getting a series blue for the price of a new base FRS or premium BRZ. How important are the series blue features to you? How important are the limited features like auto/dual climate, seat heaters, start button, keyless entry etc...? A new limited is likely going to run you 4 grand or so more out the door. Series blue are harder to find. Used limiteds with 15K miles can be had for closer to 20K. A quick search of autotrader shows used series blue cars with similar mileage, and clean car fax reports to be in the range of 27-28K. Sounds to me like you could try to negotiate a better price due to the history.
The features are very important. If not for a Series.Blue, I would get a Limited BRZ, or a Monogram FRS. The premium BRZ or base FRS interior features are just too basic, I would like to have the dual climate control, heated seats, etc. like you mentioned, and for 1-2K more, why not?

The Series.Blue appeals more to me because it's a Limited model plus the black STI wheels, full aero/lip kit, and blue custom interior with the frame-less mirror. Not a fan of the red painted brake calipers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
The only thing I wouldn't be happy about is the accident. Series Blues are still selling used for near/over 30k, meanwhile FRSs sell at 70% of their value with 5k miles. To each their own. I searched for 45 days all over the US for a series.blue in April and the cheapest one I found, I was able to get for 28,500 out the door. and mine was perfect with only 8k. Mind you price depends on availability, demand and the local market, so take that all into consideration.
Look at it this way, there is no series.blue for 2016, just the series.hyperblue, which isn't as cool IMHO, and while there is talk, I doubt the US will get the tS until the year before the 2nd generation comes out. Do you want the best BRZ out now, or are you willing to wait a few years? Also... for the same price you can buy a low mileage C5 Z06... If I didn't drive 125+ miles a day, I would have taken that path.
All the VSC does is make the driver aids come on later. The car is slow and will be slow unless you add forced induction. With bolt-ons and a tune you can make it finally beat mini vans, but that's not what this car is about.
My other option is to wait for the Series.Hyperblue for next year. I like the color and the interior does look better than the Series.Blue interior.

I know for the price, there are so many other cars out there that can be had like you mentioned, but there is just something about the BRZ that keeps bringing me back to it when I go searching for a new car.

Thanks for your opinions, this really helps.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Chris For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #16
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Chris View Post
The Series.Blue appeals more to me because it's a Limited model plus the black STI wheels, full aero/lip kit, and blue custom interior with the frame-less mirror. Not a fan of the red painted brake calipers though.

My other option is to wait for the Series.Hyperblue for next year. I like the color and the interior does look better than the Series.Blue interior.

I know for the price, there are so many other cars out there that can be had like you mentioned, but there is just something about the BRZ.

Thanks for your opinions, this really helps.

Honestly, if you're not wanting the whole package (blue interior and extra bits here and there), just get a limited BRZ and add the aero/black wheels yourself. Unless you can find a used series blue for sale, that'll most definitely be the cheaper route.

After owning the series blue, I definitely love the blue interior, but thinking back on it I probably could have lived with the red stitching on the limited trim. (can't stand the cloth seated trim though lol)
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #17
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru86 View Post
I think series blue is a waste of money just new or used. They just added some aesthetics to it and jacked up the price. I would just go with the limited or premium and use the extra money to buy after market kits. Rear tail lights like the new Valenti Jewel tail light or the Tom's LED Clear tail (depending on the color of the car), makes it look so much better, and that's just the rear tail light. Also if you want to go performance, I would first purchase an Open Flash Tablet and go from there.

Hope this helps

Except if you wanted the exterior look with the STI body kit and wheels, it was actually cheaper to buy the Series.Blue than to build your own...

But to the OP, I'd want details of what happened, and if they're not available, or the damage was too severe, walk. Look for a clean one.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #18
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
trust your gut feeling.

it is cost more to replicate series blue from a limited model, minus the the unique blue interior. The carbon fiber looks dash trim is also unique part from other model. Does other model comes with the underbody panel too? it is standard on series blue and it is functional. sti wheels, lips were not cheap. if you desired for real deal, not replica, than it is a car worth to hunt for.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #19
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Buy a brand new BRZ Limited for a little over $26K.

Brand new Knock off STI lip for $250
Brand new lightweight wider wheels + stickier tires for $1500
Get some interior bits here and there for $200

If you really want something special, wait for the actual STi. Who knows how long that's going to take, but don't spend extra $ on the Series Blue. Not really worth it imo.

And for that specific car you are talking about, FORGET ABOUT IT.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #20
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
Honestly, if you're not wanting the whole package (blue interior and extra bits here and there), just get a limited BRZ and add the aero/black wheels yourself. Unless you can find a used series blue for sale, that'll most definitely be the cheaper route.

After owning the series blue, I definitely love the blue interior, but thinking back on it I probably could have lived with the red stitching on the limited trim. (can't stand the cloth seated trim though lol)
For some reason, I like "special edition" cars that have limited production runs. It's the exclusive factor. Granted, the Series.Blue is similar to the regular models but it definitely stands out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Except if you wanted the exterior look with the STI body kit and wheels, it was actually cheaper to buy the Series.Blue than to build your own...

But to the OP, I'd want details of what happened, and if they're not available, or the damage was too severe, walk. Look for a clean one.
If I decide to pursue the car further, I'll ask for details of the accident. If it was minor, I might pursue a purchase for a better price.

For me personally, I prefer a car with an no accidents on record.

The car has been for sale for two months and no one has bought it in that time, maybe the price will go down going forward, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2th View Post
trust your gut feeling.

it is cost more to replicate series blue from a limited model, minus the the unique blue interior. The carbon fiber looks dash trim is also unique part from other model. Does other model comes with the underbody panel too? it is standard on series blue and it is functional. sti wheels, lips were not cheap. if you desired for real deal, not replica, than it is a car worth to hunt for.
The Series.Blue definitely has a unique list of parts. I specifically like the black STI wheels and blue accent interior. I am not a fan of knock off parts mainly due to fitment and quality. I like to keep it OEM genuine or aftermarket if the company/brand has a good history and reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post
Buy a brand new BRZ Limited for a little over $26K.

Brand new Knock off STI lip for $250
Brand new lightweight wider wheels + stickier tires for $1500
Get some interior bits here and there for $200

If you really want something special, wait for the actual STi. Who knows how long that's going to take, but don't spend extra $ on the Series Blue. Not really worth it imo.

And for that specific car you are talking about, FORGET ABOUT IT.
I am all for modding but the Series.Blue comes with the complete package in one, which is why it appeals to me.

If a BRZ STi model is released, I would imagine it pushing the 30K+ cost range. And it will not be for another 2-3 years right? By that time, the Ford Focus RS or Honda Civic Type R will most likely hit the US market for the same price point, more variety to choose. Perhaps it's a good idea to wait.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #21
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Chris View Post
If a BRZ STi model is released, I would imagine it pushing the 30K+ cost range. And it will not be for another 2-3 years right? By that time, the Ford Focus RS or Honda Civic Type R will most likely hit the US market for the same price point, more variety to choose. Perhaps it's a good idea to wait.
People have been saying that for over 3 years. There will be no STI, don't wait. The only reason to not buy an 86 (if you want one and the logistics work out) is if you already have a fun car occupying your free time.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (07-29-2015), kch (07-29-2015), krayzie (07-29-2015), ScoobsMcGee (07-29-2015), soulreapersteve (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #22
spicyricecake

Well it sounds like you're dead set on getting a series blue, so either buy this one for a much cheaper price, or be on the look out for someone here to sell theirs. One sold on the forums a couple months ago.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #23
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't even know why everybody's waiting for a BRZ STI. It already happened twice in Japan and you can build one yourself if you have the money.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #24
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I don't even know why everybody's waiting for a BRZ STI. It already happened twice in Japan and you can build one yourself if you have the money.
That's not an STI model.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #25
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
That's not an STI model.
You are thinking of a trim level from FHI. I'm thinking of a real tuned model from STI. I rather have the latter.

http://www.sti.jp/index.html
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #26
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
You are thinking of a trim level from FHI. I'm thinking of a real tuned model from STI. I rather have the latter.

http://www.sti.jp/index.html
Sorry, I can't read Japanese, I don't see a BRZ STI on that site, mind directing me to the page you want me to see?

I clearly see a link to the BRZ tS I believe you and I agree exists as a "trim level", but nothing like a WRX STI based on a BRZ.
http://www.sti.jp/product/brzts2015/index.html

I mean, I know they did a CONCEPT STI, which yeah you can build, but if the whole point is that you want reliable factory power, why copy a concept car that doesn't have to live up to factory reliability?
http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/contents/pdf_en_115189.pdf

And what's the second one that isn't the concept above or the TS?
Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #27
spicyricecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Sorry, I can't read Japanese, I don't see a BRZ STI on that site, mind directing me to the page you want me to see?

I clearly see a link to the BRZ tS I believe you and I agree exists as a "trim level", but nothing like a WRX STI based on a BRZ.
http://www.sti.jp/product/brzts2015/index.html

I mean, I know they did a CONCEPT STI, which yeah you can build, but if the whole point is that you want reliable factory power, why copy a concept car that doesn't have to live up to factory reliability?
http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/contents/pdf_en_115189.pdf

And what's the second one that isn't the concept above or the TS?

I really want to see some footage of the concept STI BRZ running... that'd be the sex
Old 07-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #28
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
If series blue is priced at $30k, a STI model would probably priced at $35k-$40k. People will start whining it felt cheap and does not feel like a $40k cars. Bunch people will tell you that you should just buy a wrx sti, mustang GT, camero or genssis or 228i.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speed2th For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-29-2015)