follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm curious to what the differences look like between the under body covers. Anyone have pictures of all the variants?
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
EsoBOFH
Senior Hoonigan

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
FR-S Heated Mirrors - Confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
- Heated, side-rear-view mirrors - Possibly power folding. (Heard rumor Heated mirrors may be standard on the Canadian FR-S but no power folding. Not sure of US availability.)
Confirmed... my FR-S does, in fact, have heated mirrors. I was pleasantly surprised on a cool morning the other day when i hit the defrost - who knew!
EsoBOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #31
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
I'm curious to what the differences look like between the under body covers. Anyone have pictures of all the variants?
I had found a thread on this forum with a picture of the partial cover but I couldn't find it again. I still haven't seen a picture of the full cover though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsoBOFH View Post
Confirmed... my FR-S does, in fact, have heated mirrors. I was pleasantly surprised on a cool morning the other day when i hit the defrost - who knew!
Thank you, post updated. Still need confirmation on the US version though.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #32
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just as a suggest, you might want to make a google spreadsheet. Makes things look much simpler and easy to compare
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I think if people really want to upgrade to HID's on the Scion then as a community we need to push for vendors to source them from a country with LHD. Importing the japanese versions pushes looks over other people's safety on the road.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
Saber_TRD (06-18-2012), Stryker Trailwood (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #34
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
I think if people really want to upgrade to HID's on the Scion then as a community we need to push for vendors to source them from a country with LHD. Importing the japanese versions pushes looks over other people's safety on the road.
Thank you, I forgot to put my [LHD] tag on those, I managed to remember for everything else though. Post updated.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #35
truenosan

Drives: 13 Firestorm FRS
That is one heck of a good write up/comparison.

Thanks ! (now the obsessive searching/research begins)
truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #36
skatecboy45

Drives: 1992 Mazda Mx3 GS, 1984 Firebird
sigh.. Why can't toyota just get the hint that we want the 86 here? I honestly wouldn't mind having to fork over another 3-4k to get the GT-86 over the FR-S. That said, I don't want a BRZ because I prefer the looks of the FR-S/GT-86. Would importing from another country be a viable solution? lol

probably not due to costs. but whatevs. I'll just deal with driving a scion, and swap the headlights, and corner markers... And maybe a TRD kit.
skatecboy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skatecboy45 For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (07-31-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #37
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatecboy45 View Post
sigh.. Why can't toyota just get the hint that we want the 86 here? I honestly wouldn't mind having to fork over another 3-4k to get the GT-86 over the FR-S. That said, I don't want a BRZ because I prefer the looks of the FR-S/GT-86. Would importing from another country be a viable solution? lol

probably not due to costs. but whatevs. I'll just deal with driving a scion, and swap the headlights, and corner markers... And maybe a TRD kit.
easier and cheaper to buy the brz and replace the bumper and side vents to look like an 86.
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #38
YankBoffin

Drives: BRZ, WR Blue, Premium Trim
Great write-up!
Just an FYI: from what I've read and seen in the BRZ, the HIDs are not auto-leveled. Instead, there is a manual headlight position adjustment switch on the left side of the dash.
YankBoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #39
YankBoffin

Drives: BRZ, WR Blue, Premium Trim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
I started a discussion about this a while back here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6284
YankBoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #40
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatecboy45 View Post

I hear you on that. Do what I've been doing, if you want to see the Toyota version in North America or at least the missing options on the FR-S. Contact Toyota and let them know you want the Toyota and all it's options. You can do so at Toyota.com, Toyota.ca, Scion.com, and Scion.ca, they all have "Contact us" or "Contact" buttons hidden at the bottom of their pages or just click the links I gave you and they'll take you straight to the email contact forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 View Post
easier and cheaper to buy the brz and replace the bumper and side vents to look like an 86.
That depends, you still have to swap the HID LEDs, get the fog lights, change the interior as it's different(dash and tach, plus the coloured interior pieces if you wanted those), swap badges, floor mats, and there's the suspension. The suspension on the BRZ is tuned for understeer where as the FR-S/86 are tuned for neutrality. The undercover, high grade brake pads, etc. There's still a lot to convert on the BRZ and it'd probably end up costing close to the same.

So I guess in the end for that option, it depends if you want to do more electrical or mechanical work (with an alignment in the equation due to suspension) and what dealer you want to end up taking it to for service later in it's life, Subaru or Toyota. Whoever looks after you better. In my case the only Subaru dealer within a 2 hour driving radius has been fined for rolling back odo's, insurance fraud, and other things. So my option would be Toyota but for others that may be reversed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankBoffin View Post
Great write-up!
Just an FYI: from what I've read and seen in the BRZ, the HIDs are not auto-leveled. Instead, there is a manual headlight position adjustment switch on the left side of the dash.
Thanks!

That is the auto-level system. The "manual" way of leveling headlights is popping the hood and adjusting what looks like long screws on each housing of the lights. You may be thinking of the really fancy lights that angle themselves when you take a turn, this car does not have those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankBoffin View Post
I started a discussion about this a while back here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6284
Nice find, post updated with pictures from your thread and credit given.

Last edited by Saber_TRD; 06-19-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Saber_TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Wow this is quite a bit. I'd start with swapping out functional items like seats, frameless rear view mirror, HIDs, etc. and leave alone anything that's just badge aesthetics as lower priority. Branding is transparent to me anyway since I know it's essentially the same car (Subaru/Toyota/Scion names are stamped all over the body).
Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #42
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
add this to the interior

JDM sun visors are different from the FS-S

it has vanity lights!
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, fr-s, gt86, options, toyota