follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #239
ckim

Drives: '15 DGM STi Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I'm about to do this.

I'm in the process of parting mine out right now.

The WRX will hold me over until I finish school and get everything set for an M3 or GTR.
Any particular reason? I keep toying with the idea myself. Had a kid about 5 months ago. Wife's car is an Impreza wagon, but it would be nice to be able to fit the family in my car as well.
ckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #240
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim View Post
Any particular reason? I keep toying with the idea myself. Had a kid about 5 months ago. Wife's car is an Impreza wagon, but it would be nice to be able to fit the family in my car as well.
1. Can't stand 95% of the FRS/BRZ community
2. I had a 2012 WRX before the FRS and as an all around car, the WRX was a thousand times better.
3. More practical
4. Better and more comfortable everyday car
5. Faster and more usable powerband
6. Much more value for the dollar
7. Holds value much better
8. Comfortably seats more than 2 people

The FRS is fun and all but th only reason I got one was to have a car that I could drift and daily. Easily achieved and been doing it for 2 years but I'm really focused on school and don't care to track the car anymore. I'm not going to have a car that's super low, loud, and stiff for everyday use of I don't get to enjoy it on the track. Under every day driving, a stock FRS is just boring. If I'm going to drive around a stock 25k-ish car, I'm going to have something that gives a lot more for the money is a much better every day car.

The fact that you have kids gives that much more of a reason to get the wrx. Trust me, you won't be disappointed; especially in 3 years when 2015 FRS' are worth like 17k and 2015 WRXs are still worth over 20k.
TylerLieberman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Efenys (03-10-2015), P86RAVES (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #241
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
1. Can't stand 95% of the FRS/BRZ community
2. I had a 2012 WRX before the FRS and as an all around car, the WRX was a thousand times better.
3. More practical
4. Better and more comfortable everyday car
5. Faster and more usable powerband
6. Much more value for the dollar
7. Holds value much better
8. Comfortably seats more than 2 people

The FRS is fun and all but th only reason I got one was to have a car that I could drift and daily. Easily achieved and been doing it for 2 years but I'm really focused on school and don't care to track the car anymore. I'm not going to have a car that's super low, loud, and stiff for everyday use of I don't get to enjoy it on the track. Under every day driving, a stock FRS is just boring. If I'm going to drive around a stock 25k-ish car, I'm going to have something that gives a lot more for the money is a much better every day car.

The fact that you have kids gives that much more of a reason to get the wrx. Trust me, you won't be disappointed; especially in 3 years when 2015 FRS' are worth like 17k and 2015 WRXs are still worth over 20k.
Every point you make I can relate to.

The depreciation hit me hard in the heart. My impression was that Toyota and Subaru both had fantastic resell value, so a combination of the two was a sure winner.

I was very wrong.
P86RAVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #242
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
Every point you make I can relate to.

The depreciation hit me hard in the heart. My impression was that Toyota and Subaru both had fantastic resell value, so a combination of the two was a sure winner.

I was very wrong.
Yep. I had my 2012 WRX for EXACTLY 1 year. Literally. Bought 4-15-12, sold 4-15-13. It was a base model WRX, 26k-ish. I turned around and traded it in for 23k at Scion. Paid off the car and gave me a few thousand extra for the FRS.

^as you can see, I'm pretty much done putting mine back to stock. All that's left is an alignment, and then pulling off the I/H/E and tune and it's good to go.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #243
P86RAVES

I traded an 04' STi for mine, the difference in what I bought it for and traded it for wasn't was sweet at your deal, but considering the condition of the car... it held well (bought for $17k traded for $13k after 1.5 years)

Largest regret of last year and I'll be on a similar path as you once mine is paid down more.

What are are you going to school for, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #244
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I was actually thing about the same thing also. While I love how this car looks and handles it just feels so under-powered. Not looking to add F/I anymore as this is my DD. Going to try the OFH and OFT and see if I can get some more out off it before I make a final decision.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #245
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Test drove a new WRX Limited last weekend at the dealership while I was waiting for my BRZ to be done with oil change.

The car is so much nicer than the last generation. It's now more refined inside and the power delivery is much smoother and civilized with the new engine. Couple things that I didn't like about was the super high seating position and its shifter.

I don't think I would ever replace my BRZ with a WRX or STi but I would love to get one as a second car. Probably will DD the sedan and track my BRZ.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #246
tehwegz

Drives: Coming Soon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Jealous the U.S. can get these much cheaper. Impossible to get even the base WRX under $35k here. Demand, not enough supply, our climate, our dollar, ... etc.

I'm happy with my 90s jdm rex. Today I drove what I assume to be a stock 2009 STI sedan judging from interior and "soft" driving characteristics because it made me appreciate my 90s rex (which isn't fair - it has coils, the 09 STI was stock) but still, the weight difference and road feel and whatnot.

The '15+ Suby's make me not even look twice at the 08-14s now. Easy decision in that respect. The '16 STi just needs a 320hp/300lb-ft FA turbo motor in it now to put up a helluva fight against the Focus RS / Golf R.
tehwegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 PM   #247
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Plus that range of STIs was good but not ever really renowned for handling.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #248
P86RAVES

At first they weren't. Subaru has switched up the rear suspension and it took them until, I believe, the 2010 year to get it right. Suspension tuners like Whiteline corrected the issue early on, but that of course isn't stock.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #249
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Yes, that year they improved (when they introduced the sedan body style and certain Spec C suspension bits were then installed on all STI models), but it wasn't a game changer or anything.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #250
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
What are are you going to school for, if you don't mind me asking.
Business and Marketing. Also dabbing in additional work with graphic and website design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I was actually thing about the same thing also. While I love how this car looks and handles it just feels so under-powered. Not looking to add F/I anymore as this is my DD. Going to try the OFH and OFT and see if I can get some more out off it before I make a final decision.
I have Tomei EL and OFT, and I'd have to say it feels about the same as a stock WRX. The sensation or delivery of power isn't the same but a "stage 2" FRS isn't far off a stock WRX at all.

The big thing for me is that the WRX offers SO MUCH MORE for the same price. For under $30,000, I can't think of a better all around car that holds some decent performance.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
P86RAVES (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #251
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
The big thing for me is that the WRX offers SO MUCH MORE for the same price.
I think this is really a matter of perspective. I would say, for me, the BRZ offers much more than the WRX for the same price. It has:

-Better handling out of the box than the WRX will ever have, no matter how much $$$ you throw at it
-BRZ looks like a C7 vette, WRX looks like a Camry
-Better interior (nicer materials, lower seating position, more natural placement for shifter + steering wheel, better sound system, better seats)
-MUCH more fun when not accelerating (I swear, I've never driven another car that's fun with cruise control set)
-More special feeling (WRX feels like econobox w/ turbo, BRZ feels like supercar w/ less power)
-Smoother power delivery
-More opportunities to hoon safely
-Much better shifter
-RWD (more fun than AWD 9/12 months)

Again, these are just my opinions. Drive both, whichever one speaks to you, that's the one you should get.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #252
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
I think this is really a matter of perspective. I would say, for me, the BRZ offers much more than the WRX for the same price. It has:

-Better handling out of the box than the WRX will ever have, no matter how much $$$ you throw at it
-BRZ looks like a C7 vette, WRX looks like a Camry
-Better interior (nicer materials, lower seating position, more natural placement for shifter + steering wheel, better sound system, better seats)
-MUCH more fun when not accelerating (I swear, I've never driven another car that's fun with cruise control set)
-More special feeling (WRX feels like econobox w/ turbo, BRZ feels like supercar w/ less power)
-Smoother power delivery
-More opportunities to hoon safely
-Much better shifter
-RWD (more fun than AWD 9/12 months)

Again, these are just my opinions. Drive both, whichever one speaks to you, that's the one you should get.
I'm talking about an overall package as a car to the typical buyer. Notice I said AS AN ALL AROUND CAR. You've countered my facts with subjective views favoring the FRS/BRZ. Typical on this forum; half of which are a load of crap.