follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2018, 04:22 AM   #99
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
Why were you trying to sell it ?
I bought a 997 and I thought I couldn't afford to run two cars. Turns out having two cars isn't so bad. Sometimes it seems silly to have that much cash tied up in cars-- especially two cars that both have two doors and tiny back seats-- but they both drive very differently and they're both a lot of fun. Life is short: fuck it. Plus, when one's down for maintenance I have a spare :P
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #100
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
I bought a 997 and I thought I couldn't afford to run two cars. Turns out having two cars isn't so bad. Sometimes it seems silly to have that much cash tied up in cars-- especially two cars that both have two doors and tiny back seats-- but they both drive very differently and they're both a lot of fun. Life is short: fuck it. Plus, when one's down for maintenance I have a spare :P
Sell one and get a truck. Easier to justify when they are diverse
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #101
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Honestly its hard to sell almost any car private party above $10k and I'd say more like $5k IMO. Simple fact of the matter is most people don't have that kind of cash lying around and its far easier to just walk into a dealer and finance one than to try and do it private party with a bank and DMV trips. I'm sure the average Porsche buyer this isn't an issue, but for the Subaru and Toyota driver it is.

It also doesn't help these aren't popular cars with a known nameplate. They're really niche cars that aren't very practical and are really slow. They've been out for a while so most that desire them pretty much already have one. Even in the SF bay area they sit on the lot for months. The dealership here has the whatever the new special edition is parked out front for months on end.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #102
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermk2 View Post
Honestly its hard to sell almost any car private party above $10k and I'd say more like $5k IMO. Simple fact of the matter is most people don't have that kind of cash lying around and its far easier to just walk into a dealer and finance one than to try and do it private party with a bank and DMV trips. I'm sure the average Porsche buyer this isn't an issue, but for the Subaru and Toyota driver it is.

It also doesn't help these aren't popular cars with a known nameplate. They're really niche cars that aren't very practical and are really slow. They've been out for a while so most that desire them pretty much already have one. Even in the SF bay area they sit on the lot for months. The dealership here has the whatever the new special edition is parked out front for months on end.
Here in Las Vegas, the dealers say the inflection point is $8k, i.e., anything over that amount needs to have financing available and is much harder to sell. There is also the issue that when you trade-in to a dealer, only the difference between the price of the new car and the money the dealer offered for the trade-in is taxed. When you sell it privately, you don't get that tax benefit.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #103
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
im amazed people still use KBB as a source of what a car is worth, they are never correct and always way high on actual value of a car.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #104
evomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Can someone please post a link for a clean 2013 twin selling for 10k or less? I find that pretty hard to believe
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4151/overview/
Old 06-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #105
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
Cool. So we ignore the 20 to one rate of ones listed for over $15K?
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #106
evomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
he asked for an example and i gave him one, i see them listed for 10 here and there around here. 12 seems to be what a 13 is really worth in my area
The Following User Says Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #107
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You know better than this. A listing price is not anywhere near the selling price. And what a dealer gets is much higher than a private seller because of guarantees and financing. Furthermore, dealers first list at a very high price to rope in idiots and then lower it over time as carrying costs increase.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #108
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
You know better than this. A listing price is not anywhere near the selling price. And what a dealer gets is much higher than a private seller because of guarantees and financing. Furthermore, dealers first list at a very high price to rope in idiots and then lower it over time as carrying costs increase.
Yes. They are not however dropping their prices from $16K to under $10K. So those ones advertised at the higher numbers actually sell for $13 to $15K which is exactly the range they are valued at. The under $10 cars are the tiny minority not the vast numbers that people keep implying.
Hilarious that people keep throwing one off cars under $10K up here yelling "LOOL LOOK" but as soon as many many higher ones are shown the song changes to "OH THOSE AREN'T REAL PRICES". People are getting those prices for them or they wouldn't keep asking but that isn't shocking enough so let's all bitch and moan that one guy in Florida sold his for $10K. What did people think they were buying here? One of 12 special edition Ferraris? The depreciation on these is no worse than the majority of other cars out there. In fact as has been shown over and over that it is slightly better than average. Where is the fun in whining about that though so let's all pretend you can pick them up for pocket change
Old 06-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #109
Tcoat

Quote:
he asked for an example and i gave him one, i see them listed for 10 here and there around here. 12 seems to be what a 13 is really worth in my area
Last I checked $10,900 is not "$10k or less". I do get confused by the new math though.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #110
evomike

Quote:
Last I checked $10,900 is not "$10k or less". I do get confused by the new math though.
that was a 30 second search because people do not believe you can get them for that, i see them private party sales for 8k alot when looking around. here is an example of a clean one under 10k since people are gonna be staunch about list price assuming thats what a car actually sells for.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3408/overview/
Old 06-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #111
Tcoat

Quote:
that was a 30 second search because people do not believe you can get them for that, i see them private party sales for 8k alot when looking around. here is an example of a clean one under 10k since people are gonna be staunch about list price assuming thats what a car actually sells for.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3408/overview/
How do you know it is a clean title? That fact is relevant you know.
I will not bother posting all the ones for over $13K since they mean nothing.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #112
evomike

Quote:
How do you know it is a clean title? That fact is relevant you know.
if 30k mile ones are selling for 12,9 70k mile cars are gonna be worth under 10 thats how it works man. you can argue all you want but that is what these cars are worth, they aren't ever going to be worth S2000 values they made too many of them.