follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
ShoNUFF
Who's the BADDEST?

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - Crystal Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Perrin Resonated Catback Install and Review

The weather was nice enough today in NY to install my Perrin resonated catback and drop in filter.

Delivery/ Packaging
Delivery from Perrin direct was fast and courteous.

All of the hardware was top notch. Especially the V-band clamps. They through in a bunch of Perrin swag (stickers, license plate frames etc) which was nice.

If I have only one complaint it's the welds didn't look super incredible. I'm no welder though so take that for what it's worth. Either way the unit as a whole seems sturdy and well built. The tips really look great with the Perrin logo on the outside.

Install
The instructions (if needed) were very straight forward and easy to read.
Install was a breeze and took about an hour total with the help of a friend.

Impressions
The sound is great from this catback is definitely a mature (i.e. non weed wacker) sound. I almost wish it was a little louder. I guess once I get the front pipe and header it will wake things up a bit. It also still needs to break in some more.

HP/TQ Gains
With the drop in filter and exhaust there is definitely a noticeable bump in power throughout the rev range. The car pulls easier all around with less lag and seems to smooth out power delivery.

Despite what some esteemed members of the board say, I believe the claimed gains by Perrin. They have been around for a while and are not selling snake oil.

Thanks again!

SHO-NUFF!
ShoNUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShoNUFF For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_ADAM (03-25-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The full headerback has a notably more aggressive sound while still staying quite refined. Then add their CAI and the car starts sounding quite angry. I'll agree about the welds, not the prettiest, they're plenty solid enough though. The Front and over pipes are much nicer looking.

If you keep it up, you'll have to dig deep in the grey matter to find uses for all the stuff they package with the products...I've got 10 licence plate frames sittin' next to the front door.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius357 View Post
The full headerback has a notably more aggressive sound while still staying quite refined. Then add their CAI and the car starts sounding quite angry. I'll agree about the welds, not the prettiest, they're plenty solid enough though. The Front and over pipes are much nicer looking.

If you keep it up, you'll have to dig deep in the grey matter to find uses for all the stuff they package with the products...I've got 10 licence plate frames sittin' next to the front door.
what header did u test?
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
pr086

Drives: fast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pics and vids please!
pr086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
The welds are the one thing that kept me from going Perrin. I know it is a quality system, but I just can't turn down the Nameless system, especially after owning an Axleback for a few days (wrong size on order) and it is beautiful.

Perrin has a 3" system coming out but I'm afraid it is going to be even more than the Nameless 3" system.

Either way, you aren't getting a bad product. Both companies stand behind what they make.

One of my issues also with the Perrin is the stain over time the Perrin gets from the flow of hot exhaust hitting the middle of the chamber in the muffler then routing. Not that anyone really looks at that, but that's one small thing that got me.

Definitely resonated is the way to go if plans on a header and frontpipe/overpipe. It may be tame now, but it will get MUCH louder as you go further.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Anthonytpt

Drives: '13 Argento 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with @FR-S Matt's "stain" comment. It has become noticeable, but performance hasn't been affected. I'm thinking about picking up an overpipe and front pipe soon.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
A video or two would be great. Most videos I've found have been unresonated.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
ShoNUFF
Who's the BADDEST?

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - Crystal Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Guys I will definitely work in getting some vids up tomorrow. It's been a busy day.
As for the stain? The muffler itself begins to stain? Shouldn't be a problem b/c it's underneath the car.

I started it up when it had no muffler and it really wasn't loud at all. It sounded great. I almost wish I went with a delete.

SHO-NUFF!
ShoNUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoNUFF View Post
Guys I will definitely work in getting some vids up tomorrow. It's been a busy day.
As for the stain? The muffler itself begins to stain? Shouldn't be a problem b/c it's underneath the car.

I started it up when it had no muffler and it really wasn't loud at all. It sounded great. I almost wish I went with a delete.
The stain occurs from longer term use of the flow into the muffler from the midpipe. The spot where it hits before it splits to the two side pipes turns a brownish color over time, but like I said before, its very minor unless you really look and it doesn't hurt performance at all.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
ShoNUFF (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
mswhong

Drives: FT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
what header did u test?
He stated "header-back" - everything from the header (which is stock) onwards.
mswhong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mswhong For This Useful Post:
Huehuecoyotl (03-24-2013), Mobius357 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thank you @mswhong. Yes, just res'd catback, cat'd front pipe and overpipe. I have my eye on the P&L and FA20CLUB catted headers, but also want to see if Nameless comes up with a catted option for their long tube. Ideally I'd prefer to stay with one brand, but Perrin isn't doing a header.

The different welding and the catback and front\over pipe is kinda odd, but really, you can't see that unless you're under the car. Yellow or brown color change is normal for stainless exposed to heat, you get the same discoloration around welds. Carbon steel turns such a lovely shade of blue.

Anyway, to the OP, the front/over pipes are well worth it. The car maintains it's reserved nature when you're putting about but very quickly turns aggressive when you get on it.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobius357 For This Useful Post:
ShoNUFF (03-24-2013)

Tags
catback, drop in filter, perrin exhaust