follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #43
Stark Performance

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysu View Post
Gents, question;
I've got a GTS I'd like to keep cool on track (Australian summers are hot!).

But the GTS has some lights down in the area where you install this radiator. Also, we drive on the correct - I mean the other - side of the road

So my question, really; what do you guys think about all this? RHD, no grille on the side... And finally, can you guys tell us your price, please? The link leading to the classifieds area is dead.

Thanks!
Sorry for the delay in responding. We just finished up a big move and had our account shut down until we could start filling orders again. The classifieds thread has been reopened and in observance of the rules here, we cannot discuss pricing in this thread.

RHD has no bearing on the installation of this kit. In addition, the fluid cooler is mounted back as far as possible to account for the foglights on some vehicles. The bumper has provisions for foglight installation which clear the cooler itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP86 View Post
I'm in the exact situation as @ysu although I'm thinking of removing the fog lights as I honestly don't require them and replacing the cover with FR-S ones. My city is hot 100% of the time (if not wet) so a cooler for the track and everyday would be preferred
Yeah, the NT are hot and humid...even more so than Cairns where I lived for about a year and a half. At most, a light jumper and jeans were all that was needed in "winter". lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Why not place that rad in front of main rad at one side of main rad grill? If people use that place for mounting oil rads, why not put there on another side transmission one?
As we were developing this kit, we were planning on reserving the front grill opening for an intercooler. A side mounted cooler reduces the number of heat exchangers air has to pass through when a forced induction system is also installed.
Stark Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stark Performance For This Useful Post:
ysu (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #44
ysu

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Performance View Post
...RHD has no bearing on the installation of this kit. In addition, the fluid cooler is mounted back as far as possible to account for the foglights on some vehicles. The bumper has provisions for foglight installation which clear the cooler itself.
If I install the radiator in nice closed place like that (there is no grille in front of it!) - can it actually be effective? I'm talking about tracking, so there will be a lot of heat everywhere.

Is there any chance you can provide a kit that installs in front of the main radiator as was mentioned? I'd trust that a lot more to provide proper cooling. I'm not planning to go FI, ever. I'll probably going to get the jackson racing dual radiator, that's all

You guys yourselves say in the 1st post that you have made modifications to the fog light cover and the fender behind to get the air moving. Going by the numbers you've posted, it is an almost necessary modification.
I'm not particularly enthusiast about trying to replicate that, I don't have the parts & the chances of me effing it completely up is pretty big.

Otherwise it all looks great. Sadly, at the moment, I simply do not trust that install location to do what I need it to do, properly.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #45
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't have AT, thus i'll never need it. But more then probably i'll need oil rad & brake cooling ducts, thus i guess i'll have similar fitment issues. As my GT86 is of top trim, as many other aftermarket cooling solutions vendors reuse intakes from fog lights, i know i certainly wouldn't want to remove those foglitghts to fit intakes, thus i'd be in most cases interested in fitment of rad/intakes behind main rad grill, and i don't get why so many vendors target mostly lower trims without fog lights in their designs instead of doing one that fits all the models. (Naive guess, that people choosing top trims might be more willing to pay for extra aftermarket parts, so it's unwise to not target them, when developing products). People are often willing to pay extra to extend existing functionality or capability or to gain some extra functionality .. not so much if it means loosing some in place/in exchange for new functionality/part.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #46
Stark Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysu View Post
If I install the radiator in nice closed place like that (there is no grille in front of it!) - can it actually be effective? I'm talking about tracking, so there will be a lot of heat everywhere.

Is there any chance you can provide a kit that installs in front of the main radiator as was mentioned? I'd trust that a lot more to provide proper cooling. I'm not planning to go FI, ever. I'll probably going to get the jackson racing dual radiator, that's all

You guys yourselves say in the 1st post that you have made modifications to the fog light cover and the fender behind to get the air moving. Going by the numbers you've posted, it is an almost necessary modification.
I'm not particularly enthusiast about trying to replicate that, I don't have the parts & the chances of me effing it completely up is pretty big.

Otherwise it all looks great. Sadly, at the moment, I simply do not trust that install location to do what I need it to do, properly.
The cooler certainly works without the additional airflow modifications. That said, if you would prefer a front mount setup, I could certainly do a front mount setup instead. However, my R&D car is stuck in California until mid-October, so I wouldn't be able to develop such a setup until it is back in my possession. If you don't mind waiting until then, I will get that going for you.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #47
ysu

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Auto
Quote:
The cooler certainly works without the additional airflow modifications. That said, if you would prefer a front mount setup, I could certainly do a front mount setup instead. However, my R&D car is stuck in California until mid-October, so I wouldn't be able to develop such a setup until it is back in my possession. If you don't mind waiting until then, I will get that going for you.
A couple more weeks I can wait no probs. Many thanks!
Oh, wait, it's only september...dang. It's becoming summer here, so waiting about 2 months for a solution is a lot. Hm. Thanks for the offer, I'll think about my options here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
... i don't get why so many vendors target mostly lower trims without fog lights in their designs ...
It could be as simple as there are more of those cars out there.
With cooling solutions it could be because most track cars will start off as the lowest trim version (and then just get even lower, LOL) to save weight & unnecessary cost.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:54 AM   #48
JP86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Aero Silver Auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, the NT are hot and humid...even more so than Cairns where I lived for about a year and a half. At most, a light jumper and jeans were all that was needed in "winter". lol
Oh Cairns is nice, lived there for a while too, but NT weather is harsh and I'm not looking forward to the summer (or as we call it, the Wet Season).
Quick question on the plumbing side, I had my 86 on the hoist today and a quick look at the stock cooler/warmer and from my understanding of the connection diagram one radiator pipe connects into the cooler and the other connects to the case, but of course you know that..
But I'm trying to work out where the additional pipes will go through if installed on the right side as there doesn't appear to be a lot of room next to the exhaust system?
JP86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #49
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Do any members have any long-term updates/reviews with this cooler installed?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Spechtre (09-08-2017), Tristor (04-19-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 05:03 AM   #50
DesertLava

Drives: '17 Hot Lava
I'm interested in running this trans cooler with the thermostat but I'm worried about over cooling. I'm located in San Diego and I track at hot tracks (90-100 degrees+). But I drive at 70 degrees sometimes 80-90 in the summer. I'm looking for an application that will work year around. Not looking forward to removing a trans cooler in the cooler months.
DesertLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #51
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLava View Post
I'm interested in running this trans cooler with the thermostat but I'm worried about over cooling. I'm located in San Diego and I track at hot tracks (90-100 degrees+). But I drive at 70 degrees sometimes 80-90 in the summer. I'm looking for an application that will work year around. Not looking forward to removing a trans cooler in the cooler months.

At those temperatures I feel like you shouldn't even have to worry about over cooling...
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
fika84 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #52
EdBoy
Driver

Drives: 16 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Unless San Diego goes below freezing and snows you'll be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
At those temperatures I feel like you shouldn't even have to worry about over cooling...
this
Old 07-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #53
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Do any members have any long-term updates/reviews with this cooler installed?
Prior to install, hot tracking days would cause the tranny to go into safe mode (paddles inoperative).

I mounted it in front of the wheel well , with a grate in the liner for air escape, tracked for about 5 years, some of it with boosted and built motor.

Never had ANY overheating, and the tranny still auto rev matches, and shifts sharply, no matter how many heavy hot laps.

A must have if you track seriously.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RFB For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (07-16-2018), new2subaru (07-16-2018), Overdrive (07-16-2018), Stark Performance (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #54
Stark Performance

Quote:
Overcooling is a non-issue with the thermostatic version of the kit in winter when plumbed according to the instructions provided with the kit since the factory heat exchanger is retained precisely for winter driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stark Performance For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-16-2018)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:55 AM   #55
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
Here we go! Fits my ChargeSpeed bumper rather well. And the fluid washer tank from PTuning completes the setup. Let's see how cool the AT will be now!
What extra hardware is required for a driver side installation? And are they easily bought?
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #56
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
What extra hardware is required for a driver side installation? And are they easily bought?
The key thing is to remove the stock washer fluid tank and replace it with something smaller. I bought this:

https://www.ptuning.com/subdir/itemd...&ModelDesc=FRS

The rest were basically aluminum tubes+bolts used as mounting hardware.

And last but not least: I have ChargeSpeed bumber which is ideal for radiators mounting on the sides. Not sure it would work that perfectly with the stock bumper.
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote