follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #1331
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
Actually, I did. As long as that flange isn't sealed 100%, you'll smell it.

LIke someone else suggested, spray some soapy water on the flange seam. Make sure you do it when the car is cold, and have someone assist you because you won't have much time. Once it's hot/warm, it will just evaporate.
I just got the car in the air and discovered that the gasket between the turbo and the down pipe has failed. It not only leaking exhaust, water vapor from the combustion process is also leaking our of the pipe and pooling on the shield below. In addition this leak is screwing with the tune because the leak is before the 2nd O2 sensor.

I'm going to ask Paul for a replacement gasket. In the meantime does anybody know of there's a beefier version of this gasket anywhere? I would rather put up an improved version of at all possible.

Finally do I would like everyones opinion. do I have to drop the turbo/header to fix this or can i do it with the car installed?

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #1332
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
I just got the car in the air and discovered that the gasket between the turbo and the down pipe has failed. It not only leaking exhaust, water vapor from the combustion process is also leaking our of the pipe and pooling on the shield below. In addition this leak is screwing with the tune because the leak is before the 2nd O2 sensor.

I'm going to ask Paul for a replacement gasket. In the meantime does anybody know of there's a beefier version of this gasket anywhere? I would rather put up an improved version of at all possible.

Finally do I would like everyones opinion. do I have to drop the turbo/header to fix this or can i do it with the car installed?
Did you tighten the studs/bolts between the turbo/header and turbo/downpipe? Mine seemed finger tight when I go them and would of caused a failed gasket if I didn't tighten them. I've already gone through a turbo/header gasket also, but I'm not blaming that on the setup, I'm blaming it on the sweet fireballs my car shoots and the lack of loctite/locknuts that I elected not to use the first time around.

As far as the gasket goes, it's a standard gasket so you can use whichever one you want.

And finally, I upgraded to a 3" downpipe while the header and turbo were still on the car so I don't see why you couldn't remove it to get at the downpipe gasket. Keep in mind, there is one stud/bolt that is tricky with the 3" downpipe. It was a piece of cake to remove if you have the 2.5".

PS: If it's still the factory one, the secondary O2 sensor doesn't do anything It's disabled with a 3rd party tune, and even in stock form it was only there to confirm operation of the primary cat, not to give actual ECU real time info.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #1333
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Quote:
Did you tighten the studs/bolts between the turbo/header and turbo/downpipe?
YUP! I made sure everything was tight before I bolted up the header/turbo (based partially on readings on this thread)

Quote:
I've already gone through a turbo/header gasket also, but I'm not blaming that on the setup, I'm blaming it on the sweet fireballs my car shoots and the lack of loctite/locknuts that I elected not to use the first time around.
I have a little afterfire coming out the back too and I did leave the AVO locknuts one. Which ones are you using now?

Quote:
As far as the gasket goes, it's a standard gasket so you can use whichever one you want.
Really?! Can you help mw with a few part numbers? I've been looking but have not found much...

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #1334
JD86

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Really?! Can you help mw with a few part numbers? I've been looking but have not found much...
What Protbipe said. They're a reasonably standard gasket, I'm running Garrett ones... They're an unusual shape, you'll know it if you see them. I think what you need is the compressor outlet from a GT2860RS but don't hold me to that :P If you're under there looking measure it to be sure.

I track my car pretty hard and found that over the course of four track days I've replaced every gasket between my engine and the front pipe. So if you're changing gaskets you may as well do them all whilst you're under there as they're cheapish items in the scheme of things for decent quality ones and it'll save you having to jack the car up repeatedly.
Attached Images

JD86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD86 For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (12-15-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #1335
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
@JD86 have a had to replace the garrett gaskets since fitting them on? Or have they been holding up fine since?

If so it might be a good tip for new owners to replace all gaskets to garrett prior to installing the kit. Less hassle later down.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #1336
JD86

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
@JD86 have a had to replace the garrett gaskets since fitting them on? Or have they been holding up fine since?

If so it might be a good tip for new owners to replace all gaskets to garrett prior to installing the kit. Less hassle later down.
I haven't had to replace any since changing out the overpipe/front pipe gasket... But I did change my exhaust set up to allow more flex at the same time. Plus last failure was at a track day on 45+ degree day where I the circuit to myself was doing continuous laps. So fairly high stress situation with a very hot car.
JD86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #1337
Raven604

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
@AVOturboworld whens the 20g kit comming out

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Raven604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #1338
Musickmixxer90

Drives: Whiteout FRS Monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
So to start this off, this is the first time i'm considering going to a turbo kit on a car and this is the first time i'm learning about how a car works. i've been doing quite a bit of research, and reading, but from your experiences, what are some MUST haves when installing this kit.

I am planning on having a DD street car, but am wondering if there is such thing as having "too much" cooling capacity?

I was planning on the stage 2 8psi of boost, but didn't know if a trans cooler or oil cooler (or even an upgraded radiator) was needed? any thoughts on this? The way I see it, if it makes either one of those fluids hotter, that decreases the life of the fluid, (I could jsut be an idiot and this could be a very inaccurate statement, so correct me if i'm wrong) so I was going to get all the cooling I could get.

Also, I do not have access to a local tuner, so I was planning on going with a Delicious etune. BTW, I have an Automatic trans.

Any thoughts for a turbo noob?

TLR , If I just bought the kit for DD, what would I need to install this properly and not have to worry about long term reliability?
Musickmixxer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #1339
DesertFrs

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series AVO Turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickmixxer90 View Post
So to start this off, this is the first time i'm considering going to a turbo kit on a car and this is the first time i'm learning about how a car works. i've been doing quite a bit of research, and reading, but from your experiences, what are some MUST haves when installing this kit.

I am planning on having a DD street car, but am wondering if there is such thing as having "too much" cooling capacity?

I was planning on the stage 2 8psi of boost, but didn't know if a trans cooler or oil cooler (or even an upgraded radiator) was needed? any thoughts on this? The way I see it, if it makes either one of those fluids hotter, that decreases the life of the fluid, (I could jsut be an idiot and this could be a very inaccurate statement, so correct me if i'm wrong) so I was going to get all the cooling I could get.

Also, I do not have access to a local tuner, so I was planning on going with a Delicious etune. BTW, I have an Automatic trans.

TLR , If I just bought the kit for DD, what would I need to install this properly and not have to worry about long term reliability?

I would use T bolt clamps to replace the worm clamps that are provided. It's not necessary but it looks cleaner and keeps everything a little tighter and more secure.

I initially bought the Stg 1 kit, with no cooling up grades to anything. For daily driving, you do not need any Radiator upgrade, Oil Cooler, or Trans Cooler. (I live in 120 degree weather in the summer and trust me I had no issues at all.) Theirs never to much cooling.

If you are planning on the Stg 2 kit, I would suggest you to buy the kit with the billet wheel (just in case you up the boost later down the road 15+psi)

I use Purol as my motor oil and I can go up 7k+ miles per Blackstone lab results. I am currently making 419whp and 356wtq on 15-16psi on E85 daily. With this oil even with temps are a little high it does not degrade the life of the oil. But your statement is semi correct because some oils do degrade.

I am currently at 20K miles on the car and 17k has been turboed and 10k has been on E85/Flex Fuel. Bill from @DeliciousTuning has been my local tuner since the beginning. I am sure Bill has access to some of my Dyno when I was at 8psi at Stg2. Bill used my car and another car to initially create his Etunes for the AVO kit. I had him Dyno tune my car at least 27+ hours throught my ownership of the kit.

With the current Oil Cooler that @AVOturboworld currently offers I highly suggest you get it just to CYA yourself. It is not needed but it does keeps Oil temps lower. You could also get an upgraded Radiator and Trans cooler. Again all this is just an option.

I don't know how much the Automatic Tranny can hold but at 8psi you should have no issues with the kit.

Hope this helped! The list of what I currently have on my car is listed below as my signature.
AVO STG1 Turbo w/ 8PSI Actuator, AVO 3" Catless Turbo Back Exhaust, AVO Air Filter, ACT 6 Puck Clutch, DW65c Fuel Pump, 900cc DW Injectors, Grimmspeed EBC, Delicious Tuning Custom Tune, 0W-20 Purol, AEM Strutbar, GrimmSpeed Hood Struts, Mann Engineering Coilovers, RacerX UCA, Gram Lights 57Xtreme, 275/35/18 BfGoodrich G-Sport Comp2 Tires, MV Designz Aero Kit, Beatsonic Shark Fin & Roof Spoiler, Five Axis Trunk Spoiler, OEMAudioPlus Reference 400
DesertFrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesertFrs For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (12-16-2014), Musickmixxer90 (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #1340
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
If I were to fit this kit on my car, I'll replace both gaskets on the turbo to better quality Garrett ones before fitting....just for peace of mind. I'd also check to make sure the manifold flanges are fully flat. Might be worth getting them machined or re-faced a little....again just in case. Use brand new Forester XT gaskets or thicker Grimmspeed manifold gaskets.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fizz For This Useful Post:
Musickmixxer90 (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #1341
kbogarto

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited WRB
I know FIPG should be used for the oil pump but could it be used on the heAder gasket also? Or should I only use silicone sealant?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:04 AM   #1342
DesertFrs

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
If I were to fit this kit on my car, I'll replace both gaskets on the turbo to better quality Garrett ones before fitting....just for peace of mind. I'd also check to make sure the manifold flanges are fully flat. Might be worth getting them machined or re-faced a little....again just in case. Use brand new Forester XT gaskets or thicker Grimmspeed manifold gaskets.
The new Production kits being sold come with upgraded Forester gaskets already.
AVO STG1 Turbo w/ 8PSI Actuator, AVO 3" Catless Turbo Back Exhaust, AVO Air Filter, ACT 6 Puck Clutch, DW65c Fuel Pump, 900cc DW Injectors, Grimmspeed EBC, Delicious Tuning Custom Tune, 0W-20 Purol, AEM Strutbar, GrimmSpeed Hood Struts, Mann Engineering Coilovers, RacerX UCA, Gram Lights 57Xtreme, 275/35/18 BfGoodrich G-Sport Comp2 Tires, MV Designz Aero Kit, Beatsonic Shark Fin & Roof Spoiler, Five Axis Trunk Spoiler, OEMAudioPlus Reference 400
Old 12-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #1343
Flasher
Smartass

Drives: Toyota GT86 & Impreza STi
Garrett vs. AVO

I'm just wondering:

how does the (base) AVO Kit compare to a Garrett GT28 based turbo kit?
MODS |O.Z Leggera 18 x 8,5|Front:Tarox B32|Rear:OEM+EBC GreenStuff|Braided Lines|Milltek CAT-Back & Overpipe|Motiv Concepts catted Frontpipe| AVO Turbo|AVO breather tank|Mishimoto Oilcooler|Exedy Stage 1 Clutch|BeatSonic Sharkfin|TRD Ducktail|TRD Aero cover|Valenti blinker
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #1344
DesertFrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
I'm just wondering:

how does the (base) AVO Kit compare to a Garrett GT28 based turbo kit?
I would compare it to the GT2860RS in spec wise not the same but closely with the AVO coming up on top in power. Their has been two AVO kits in SoCal including mine that make 419whp and 356wtq at peak 16 psi on the 3" exhaust. Although trying to keep the top end from tappering to 14psi from 6700 to redline was a bit hard, with the stock air box limiting the turbo. I might be wrong in comparing these to turbos but Paul ( @AVOturboworld ) can correct me if I am wrong. With the billet wheel offered in the Stg 2 it should help the top end a bit to give you more power. I highly suggest getting an Intake to allow the turbo to breath better to yield better results. I can't wait to get my new dyno tune in the upcoming months from ( @DeliciousTuning ).
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertFrs For This Useful Post:
Flasher (12-16-2014)

Tags
avo, avoturboworld