follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tweeter install?

I'm about two steps above a total noob when it comes to audio, so I apologize in advance for the dumb question. I've only done one speaker install on an S13 with no tweeters, so I've never installed tweeters. I've taken out the mid and the tweeter in my BRZ and noticed that when one is removed, the other doesn't work. So my question is, how do you installs mids/tweeters in our cars? (I just want to drop in new speakers, possibly add an amp and a sub later.) Do you have to cut the factory wires? Is there a guide somewhere? I've looked for a harness for it with no luck. Both the tweeters and the mids have plugs that go into them instead of just wires, and I know normal speakers don't have plugs, but do tweeters?
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
JPFr-s

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I couldn't find any harnesses either.. The tweeter harness has 4 speaker wires going into it. 2 are coming from the headunit and 2 going back out to the mid. If you disconnect the tweeter, obviously you will have no sound to the mid. Just cut the wires and re-connect for your configuration. Use a meter to determine which are coming from the head unit to save a little time, as the colors are not the same on R and L sides. If you're running the factory head unit, don't expect much difference in sound quality, and remember that the factory mids are 2ohm. I took out the dash mids all together and ran a nice 2-way setup in front with a 10inch sub in back. Not too pricey and sounds pretty nice. Of course this is with a new headunit and some amps driving all of the channels.. Good luck.
JPFr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFr-s View Post
I couldn't find any harnesses either.. The tweeter harness has 4 speaker wires going into it. 2 are coming from the headunit and 2 going back out to the mid. If you disconnect the tweeter, obviously you will have no sound to the mid. Just cut the wires and re-connect for your configuration. Use a meter to determine which are coming from the head unit to save a little time, as the colors are not the same on R and L sides. If you're running the factory head unit, don't expect much difference in sound quality, and remember that the factory mids are 2ohm. I took out the dash mids all together and ran a nice 2-way setup in front with a 10inch sub in back. Not too pricey and sounds pretty nice. Of course this is with a new headunit and some amps driving all of the channels.. Good luck.
It really sucks to have to cut the wire, though. That's one of the reasons I was hoping to find a harness.

Also, I don't know how/what to do with a meter, so...

I don't have a factory head unit, and I don't know what 2 ohm really means or why it matters. Can you see why I just want a harness now?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
It really sucks to have to cut the wire, though. That's one of the reasons I was hoping to find a harness.

Also, I don't know how/what to do with a meter, so...

I don't have a factory head unit, and I don't know what 2 ohm really means or why it matters. Can you see why I just want a harness now?
You need to put down the parts and pick up some research. Try googling for a car audio forum (there are tons out there, just pick your poison).
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
You need to put down the parts and pick up some research. Try googling for a car audio forum (there are tons out there, just pick your poison).
I don't have any parts, that's why I'm posting here and asking how people are doing it first.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
MidnightRunner

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Ok... I've swapped out my 6.5 and my 3.5 speaker, and my best advice would be to keep the 6.5 if you are keeping the stock amp. The stock amp sits behind the driver side rear seat btw. If you are daring enough to run a separate amp, then to hell with the stockers. Do some research and you'll find the right speaker harness. If worst comes to worst, cut and solder.

As for my dashboard speaker setup, I went with the Pioneer tsa878 with a pair of Metra 728104. I cut the old speaker brace out and stuck it on my pioneers, chopped the end wires on the Pioneer to the Metras and that was it. Good luck!

(For some reason I can't post pics on this post, so pm me your email if u wanted pics of my dash speaker setup.)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Prog (12-05-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
MidnightRunner

Garage
Oh and btw, I kept the stock tweet. Also do yourself a HUGE favor and remove and destroy that shitty pass filter on the 3.5

Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightRunner View Post
I went with the Pioneer tsa878 with a pair of Metra 728104. I cut the old speaker brace out and stuck it on my pioneers, chopped the end wires on the Pioneer to the Metras and that was it. Good luck!
Sorry for the extremely delayed response, but are you saying that that harness works with the stock OEM harness for the dash speakers/tweeters? Crutchfield shows two speaker harnesses, one of which looks like it's probably for the door speakers, but I have no idea what the other is for.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
MidnightRunner

Garage
Quote:
Sorry for the extremely delayed response, but are you saying that that harness works with the stock OEM harness for the dash speakers/tweeters? Crutchfield shows two speaker harnesses, one of which looks like it's probably for the door speakers, but I have no idea what the other is for.
Sorry. I must've been in a hurry to type that. I cut the stock harness out of the speaker bracket, and then wired positive to positive, negative to negative. The tweet was a bit more complex, and since my 3.5 dash speaker hit highs pretty well I didn't bother with the tweet.

Here are some quick pics I had.

Attached Images

Chimera (07-16-2014), Prog (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
MidnightRunner

Garage
To answer your question, the Metra was for the doors not the dash. I just reused the dash harness.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Prog

Quote:
To answer your question, the Metra was for the doors not the dash. I just reused the dash harness.

I know that the Metra 72-8104 is for the doors, but Crutchfield also lists this one as compatible with our cars and I don't know what it is: Metra 71-042C Speaker Wiring Harnesses. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207104...Harnesses.html

Thanks for all of your replies!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
MidnightRunner

Garage
Quote:
I know that the Metra 72-8104 is for the doors, but Crutchfield also lists this one as compatible with our cars and I don't know what it is: Metra 71-042C Speaker Wiring Harnesses. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207104...Harnesses.html

Thanks for all of your replies!
Ok then those might be for the dash. Crutchfield has pretty good customer service (from my experience anyways), so give em a call to clarify. Good luck, and btw I literally just swapped my stock amp to the alpine ktp455 and I HIGHLY recommend it. Awesome little amp to fully power your doors

Prog (12-05-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Prog

Quote:
Ok then those might be for the dash. Crutchfield has pretty good customer service (from my experience anyways), so give em a call to clarify. Good luck, and btw I literally just swapped my stock amp to the alpine ktp455 and I HIGHLY recommend it. Awesome little amp to fully power your doors

Thanks! I emailed Crutchfield and the advisor said that that harness is indeed for the dash (they don't have a harness for the rear speakers).
Old 04-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
PatrickSAN

Drives: SWP GR 5DR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks! I emailed Crutchfield and the advisor said that that harness is indeed for the dash (they don't have a harness for the rear speakers).
Did the Metra 71-042C plug in up in the dash location?
PatrickSAN is offline   Reply With Quote