follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Any news or updates for Oz post here

Ok so I started this thread for any news or updates so anyone from Australia or new Zealand can let us know what's going on with he ca down here.

As we already know the G-Sports version is appearing at the sydney show and I think it would be common sense to bring the ft/fr-86/s down with it.

Also in the September issue of wheels on page 15 they have a little article on the Subaru "FT- 86" (that's what they called it) In which they say is rumored to have a slightly modified version of the current subaru 2.0-litre turbo boxer four, othter than the Toyota modified head engine. The rest is the same of what we've been hearing modified legacy platform, almost identical to Toyota twin but more aggressive due to flares, air intakes and hood scoop. But what I think is new news they say:

"According to one insider, testing of. He Subaru- and Toyota- has already started at the nurburgring, carried out by Subaru test divers. Expect to see it debut a the Tokyo Motor Show next year."
Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
yeah i saw the "test" photos here but from the looks of it its thest to te chassis, suspension and engine, however the video also found on the same site (bottom), the engine sounds NA. but i have to say, even the pics of the slapped together exterior, the cars overall still damn sexy
Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Calais

Garage
it looks promising its an old vid though isnt it?

lol at the L plate on the rear window hahaha
Old 09-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
Calais

Garage
wheels magazine page 24 supposedly toyota designers have changed the focus of the ft to make it more "upmarket", "comfotable" and with all the bells and whistles and expect a higer price than the previous $25,000. length stretching to 4250mm and wieght from 1100kkg to 1300kg. although they r only saying it'll be pushed back to 2012. saying a turbo 2.0 boxer producing 200kw. and supposedly the subaru version is getting AWD.

also in side column reafirming the g-sports version for syd motor show but no word yet on the ft. does anyone think it'll come here coz thats the version im most interested in.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
70NYD

i dont beleive the upmarket and comfertable part as that defies the original scope of the project which was a entry lvl sports RWD car (neither upmarket nor comfy :p)
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Calais

Garage
yea i noe they said it was because of a toyota market research and the customers didnt want a sporty car they wanted a more "upmarket" car watever the hell that means
Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
70NYD

Uuuurgh I just want some proper news already man, from Toyota. To know what's really happening. Cus if they aren't releasing it here in due time fuck it..
We better not get the tv scion here, we already got the bloody xb (rukus) just 2 years late. If the tc comes out, there won't b room in oz for 86 :'(
Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Calais

Garage
man even if they do what nissan are doing to the GTR here not have them in showrooms but have them available to be ordered i'd be happy for that, the reason i want this car is because of the RWD if they bring the tc they would loose me as a customer, the only reason i'd buy from toyota after that is to get a HiLux or another 4WD.

Last edited by Calais; 09-06-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: fuck the rukus is a waste of space on the car lots here in my opinion
Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 AM   #9
70NYD

Quote:
Subaru's top secret sportscar that is being jointly developed with Toyota has been caught on camera undergoing testing.
It is so secret, in fact, that not even the boss of Subaru Australia has seen the car -- apart from these images of it wearing a camouflage.
Speaking at the launch of the new WRX STI sedan in Melbourne this week, the boss of Subaru Australia Nick Senior told the Carsales Network the Subaru coupe is on a wishlist but not confirmed for sale locally.
"I've still not seen it; we know very little about it, and we're not guaranteed to take it," he said.
"The technical details, the production schedule, the timing are all still being finalised. We expect to hear more before the end of the year and we'll make a decision then."
There is speculation that the Subaru version of the Toyota FT-86 -- which is yet to be shown, even in concept guise -- will be powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged Subaru engine, and be rear-drive only.
"That is one of the things we've got to look at," Senior commented.
"We have to consider if it is the right thing for the brand in Australia. We have marketed heavily all-wheel drive and as we understand it the car will be rear-drive.
"We need to assess whether it fits with the current Subaru philosophy in Australia. But rest assured we will look at it at the first opportunity."
Senior said it would not be necessary to change Subaru's branding or dealership Corporate Identity, even though it strongly promotes its exclusively all-wheel drive line-up, and slogans such as "all-wheel drive is all we do".
"It looks like a fun car and Subaru is all about driver enjoyment. If it fits in with that we'll look at it."
In the meantime, test cars continue to clock up development kilometres. As yet, no on-sale date has been nominated for Japan, Europe or North America.
from http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010...r-oz-yet-21516
Old 09-07-2010, 04:00 AM   #10
Calais

Garage
aahhh well i'll see if i can get a 1 on 1 with him and any oher official looking people from subaru tomorrow when im at the sydney launch of the wrx & sti.

man its getting to the point where i dont care if only the subie or toyota come out i'll which ever one is availabe here i just hope its not only the g-sports version because anyone who drive that car will be 1) accused of putting the spoiler and front bumpers on themselves to look good and 2) its going to get so much attention from the police because of the before mentioned parts
Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #11
70NYD

awesome c if u can hassel him for some info
as far as the G sports i like it, the spoiler is a little over he top and id proly remove it and stick a lip spoiler on there or nothing, but i LOVE the g sports cus of the fenders
il put up with the front bumper for it. and police cant do shit cus its a stock car
they will only hassel a few ppl till they learn its a new car
man im loking forward to this car SO much
Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Calais

Garage
just got back from the unveiling was pretty good after the presentation i had a quick look took a couple of pics and then went looking for nick senior but it seems he snuck out pretty quick and when i went and asked another official from subaru he goes no he hasnt left spent 15mins looking for him then the guy asked me why i wanted to talk to him i told him beacuse of the joint venture between subaru and toyota and guess what he said
quote:
"oh yea, im looking forward to that car its going to be a great car wh-if it comes here. actually the japanese guys who are desining it are here."(looks around)"oh... they seem to have left"(asks a lady from subaru)"yes they left alittle after the presentation, but they are being really tight lipped about it, i cant get any info about it."

me
"so you dont know anything about it? is it coming out here? any technical stuff?"

subie guy
"no like i said they are being quite tight lipped about the whole thing. the toyota version will come out before ours(subaru's) definately. but i'd have to say if there is going to be any sort of info about the car it will be at the motor show next month."

after that my fiance and i tried to see if we could get into the show for press day but he said "the company has cut down on letting people in on press days and its no longer possible to sneek people in pretending they are press"

imma take a note out of nates book and start emailing em constantly to tey and get tix to the show on press day
Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
70NYD

hehe nice work man
Old 09-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #14
Calais

Garage
i emailed toyota and asked if the origional concept will be at the sydney motor show this was their response:

Thank you for your response,

Unfortunately we have been advised the Motorshow will only include the FT-86G.

Kind regards,

currently writing an email back complaining about this fact, im soo pissed i got tickets on opening day just so i could be there for it! fukn hell!