follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
paraguin
Turbine Rodeo!

Drives: Scion xD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
bearing identification

first off apologize for not being to active on the forum (finishing up college, two more months to go)

I have a 2008 scion xd that clicks which varies with rpm coming from the lower crankcase. Has 49,560 miles on this thing. (bought with 17k on it, not sure how it was treated initially) well i do my own oil changes and i never really save receipts or anything so warranty doesn't cover it. Being a college I can't afford the 2500 toyota is asking.

I got the service manual toyota uses. and only things i see possible problem causers in that area that could cause issue is main bearing, connect rod bearing, thrust washer, or connecting rod/bolts) so i go get prices.
Engine Overhaul Seals and gasket kit $318
1207B sealant packing $25
main bearings $25 each (total 5) might as well while i am down there
connecting rod bearing $18 each (total 4).

long story short i was asked mark 1,2,3,4 bearings (not listed under vin which one) so would it be marked on the bearings themselves? or how do i identify which mark and where at?
paraguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
norsamerican

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Old 04-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
dsmx17
4g63>rotards

Drives: 98'GSX 11'Tundra 10'Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsamerican View Post

I'll assume he means how to identify the current bearings, start at the timing/accessory side of the engine which is "1" and work to transmission side which would be "4"
dsmx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
paraguin
Turbine Rodeo!

Sorry I am short with answers. I don't have internet when I am outside of school grounds. Just for cell phone. I can identify the order they are in. But apparent they make 4 different size main bearings for my car and 3 different size connecting rod bearings. Each designated by toyota with the names mark 1, mark 2, mark 3, and mark 4 respectfully. I am guessing possibly differences of thousandths ( ten thousandths) of and inch differences. I just don't know how to figure out what to look at to see if my bearings are mark 1 vs 3 or possibly 2 or 4. Parts guy at count
er didn't know either
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
dsmx17
4g63>rotards

Drives: 98'GSX 11'Tundra 10'Wrangler
Its probably based on production years then, the toyota parts guy wasnt able to tell you which bearings to buy based on your vin #?
dsmx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
paraguin
Turbine Rodeo!

Nope. He had my vin entered in and looking at my bears it showed four sets :/

Just in case I am lacking info in post. Engine code 2ZRFE (1.8L) which is in the XD, 09 Corolla and up and also some models of the matrix
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraguin View Post
Sorry I am short with answers. I don't have internet when I am outside of school grounds. Just for cell phone. I can identify the order they are in. But apparent they make 4 different size main bearings for my car and 3 different size connecting rod bearings. Each designated by toyota with the names mark 1, mark 2, mark 3, and mark 4 respectfully. I am guessing possibly differences of thousandths ( ten thousandths) of and inch differences. I just don't know how to figure out what to look at to see if my bearings are mark 1 vs 3 or possibly 2 or 4. Parts guy at count
er didn't know either
It's going to be crankshaft specific. The different bearing sizes allow for minor tolerances in production. Literally the only way to know is to removing them and checking each of the bearing shells. Or measure the crank shaft journals with a micrometer.

Shitty deal man.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
paraguin
Turbine Rodeo!

That's alright. So I probably just measure them to find out. I have access to a lot of tool for engine overhaul (being at an aircraft maintenance school, cars just didn't pay enough :p). Though I might have to find some pulley remover for my engine