follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Iixii

Drives: NonE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Torn between a BRZ and a 335 Coupe (with M package)

I'm comparing these two:
1)Buying/financing a brand new BRZ Premium MT for 5 years and payment of $480+/mo
2) Assuming a lease of a 2011 BMW 335ix with M package MT for $423/mo with 1135 miles/mo allowance for 23 months. This car has only 3900 miles on the clock. No downpayment, just assume the remaining payments.

I've had 3 BMW leases before, '99 Z3, '06 330 convertible, and '07 Z4 Coupe.

I love BMWs and its luxurious feel and drive but I want to try this BRZ. I'm just concerned that I might be just so hyped up with the BRZ at the moment and feel remorseful after few months.
Has anyone switch from BMW to BRZ or vice-versa (too early)? Or does anyone have both cars at the moment and help me choose which one I should get.
This will be my weekend car with a wife and 2 kids age 3 (still on carseat) and 8. We have an SUV ('11 Mazda CX-9) to haul bigger stuff and road trips and an '08 Prius. I'm 40 yrs old if that matters. My DD is a Kawasaki Ninja 250 so I can use HOV/Carpool lanes.
The photo is the actual car I plan to lease.
Attached Images

Iixii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'd say for you to take the BMW.

Cheaper on payments, and cheaper on insurance.

Pretty sure you already answered your own question lol.

Quote:
1) I love BMWs
2) Luxurious feel - BMW vs Subaru vs Scion
3) Drive
Lots of people have switched into the BRZ/FR-S, but at the end of the day it was really up to them.

Have you taken a BRZ for a test drive?

Do you honestly seeing yourself getting into another car in the future?

Also, let me tell you, there is NO room in the back of the BRZ/FR-S, you have to sit with your legs crossed, my buddys GF that's 5'5 can barley sit comfortable in the rear. That's if you plan on putting the kids in the back at some point.

I also don't know how comfortable BMW seats are, but I know after a bit of sitting int he BRZ seats (2hrs+) it really gets uncomfortable.

Think of the BRZ/FR-S as a pure track car from the box :-)

EDIT:
Ah, I read it differently.

The BMW is a lease vs the BRZ to buy it out.

It depends on your finance and what you want, the BMW will be up in a few years once you assume it. If you plan on getting a new car after the BMW just for a few years. That's the ideal point of a lease.

As for the BRZ, that set finite amount is what you get, and in return at the end you keep the car. Therefore you can mod the hell out of it come forth the warranty dates expires, or prior.

Last edited by BioRage; 10-02-2012 at 10:08 AM.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
Watch when warranty expires on that BMW. It will suck the marrow out of your bones.
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frosty86 For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
xdbuix

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue Limited BRZ
Garage
BMW. The brz is essentially a 2 seater. I know you said you had kids in a car seat. I would think it would be harder to put those seats.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Chimpo

Drives: '15 STi Ltd
I don't really see how these two cars compare other than being fun to drive, but hey, I cross shop things too.

Hands down the "Beemer" will be nicer built and higher quality feeling than the Toyobaru. My FR-S doesn't even feel as well built my CR-Z. And as far as brute performance, the turbo I6 will eat the flat 4. And while I've seen people put a car seat in an FR-S (check Jalopnik) I would think the 3 would have a bit more room inside of it.

Don't forget that you get an ego boost standard with the 3-series.

That stuff being said, the Toyobaru will probably be a sharper feeling car to drive, and it's def a blast to do so. Again, do not be expecting to win any sort of drag contests.

Speaking other than the cars themselves, 1135 miles a month is not a lot to drive. You said weekend car, so perhaps you can pull it off,
Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
BioRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty86 View Post
Watch when warranty expires on that BMW. It will suck the marrow out of your bones.
2011, his warranty should be good to atleast 2015.. (4years)

That being said in 4 years he could be in another car, or getting it serviced at a private tech!

Obviously the BRZ will be cheaper in maintence, it is a JDM car.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Curves

Drives: 2012 Miata Velocity Red SE
I have a BMW 325i and Miata MX-5. I prefer the BMW for daily driver to work (mostly freeway miles). It is more comfortable and quieter with a better stereo. For weekend fun (canyon runs), the Miata.

BMW is NOT the "ultimate driving machine". It is too HEAVY. It is better than a Camry but it cannot compare to a Miata or BRZ in the handling department.

Since you already have two practical cars, your 3rd car should be a FUN car. So get the BRZ!
Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Neither, if you are looking at a BMW to compare to the BRZ I would suggest you find a 135i. Same motor as the car you are looking at but much lighter. I have a friend with one and with some basic mods and a tune he is pushing over 500HP.

I tried the lux sedan thing but got so bored with driving the car.
jadewbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
brzzz

Drives: White BRZ
I went to watch an autox event a few weeks ago, there was a 335i that was getting killed. It looked like an suv trying to take sharp turns. That being said, on an actual track it would be faster and I sometimes miss the smoothness of my e46 3 series.
brzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzzz For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
BioRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewbj View Post
Neither, if you are looking at a BMW to compare to the BRZ I would suggest you find a 135i. Same motor as the car you are looking at but much lighter. I have a friend with one and with some basic mods and a tune he is pushing over 500HP.

I tried the lux sedan thing but got so bored with driving the car.
Doubt that's the option he has. The 335i came up probably because it's from a good source he has.

However a 135i M is a different story
Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
BRZranger

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I was cross shopping the same cars. My opinion, BRZ was more fun to drive (than 335), felt faster (it's not obviously) and more economical for out of pocket maintenance and running costs.

335 is not really a status car anymore, it's an awesome sports sedan, but it is as unique as a Toyota Camry. Leasing for that little of 1100 miles is weak IMO.

The BRZ is my secondary family car, forester xt covers most family duties. One thing about the BRZ vs more powerful cars is I don't worry about guzzling gas, so I drive it more often and I really enjoy it. Right now, the car is unique, until production catches up.

Either way, you win.
BRZranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
cgrey

Drives: 2013 Argento Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You've already had several BMWs, get the BRZ. Riding a 250 you already appreciate low power, light weight, well handling vehicles.

Do not expect a lotus. It's more like your 99 Z3 with better handling. Difficult to overhype the car when put that way.
cgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you miss the curves of a sporty little car and now that you need 4 seats in that car you see the BRZ as a possible solution. As prev. noted the rear seats are essentially useless, there are some memebers here using car seats and putting their kids in back but in 3-5 years theyll be hyper and kicking your seat. Also there are no rear cupholders and I'm not sure those fancy kid seats with the cupholders will fit.

Not sure your budget/mpg/AWD needs but if you're not sold on another BMW check out the out the Infiniti G37 or Audi S5 coupes which have useful rear seats and still fit the sports coupe criteria.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Iixii

Drives: NonE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Not sure your budget/mpg/AWD needs but if you're not sold on another BMW check out the out the Infiniti G37 or Audi S5 coupes which have useful rear seats and still fit the sports coupe criteria.
I've had a Infiniti G35 Coupe before too and that was heavy and not as smooth as a BMW. I've never had an Audi but had a '08 VW GTI and '06 Passat.

Just to let you know that I am car crazy and maintain 3-4 cars at a time that's why you see I've been through a lot of them. Although recently we've been slowing down changing cars as we transition from leasing to buying and keeping the cars longer and I'm enjoying riding motorcycle a lot now.
Iixii is offline   Reply With Quote