follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #71
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Yeah but I bet you'd prefer the STI's engine in the BRZ/s chassis
Actually.. no.

Would I like 300+hp in the BRZ? Sure. Do I want a turbo EJ in the BRZ? No. A turbo is just not a good match for this car, IMO. You can drive around a turbo's limitations, but you're still compensating for poor throttle response.

If I could get 300+ N/A hp/tq under the hood without disrupting the weight balance of the car, I'd be a very happy man. But that's just not going to happen without a crazy amount of cash. So a supercharger is likely going to find its way into the engine bay.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #72
Umbie

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Actually.. no.

Would I like 300+hp in the BRZ? Sure. Do I want a turbo EJ in the BRZ? No. A turbo is just not a good match for this car, IMO. You can drive around a turbo's limitations, but you're still compensating for poor throttle response.

If I could get 300+ N/A hp/tq under the hood without disrupting the weight balance of the car, I'd be a very happy man. But that's just not going to happen without a crazy amount of cash. So a supercharger is likely going to find its way into the engine bay.
My sentiments exactly. After the Nameless exhaust and EcuTek tune (being done as we speak), I'll see where the power is at and work towards as much as I can get without F/I. I'm hoping around 250, then the supercharger will get me above 300.
Umbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #73
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Actually.. no.

Yeah I'm waiting on a good positive displacement supercharger to debut, because i want that throttle response as well.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #74
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just to steer us back on track while simultaneously tossing a cupfull of gas on the fire:

I own a STI with extensive suspension modifications and a BRZ, and I'm seriously considering selling the STI because I like driving the BRZ more. I used to think I tuned my STI into being a sharp handling car, but going from the BRZ to the STI, it just feels... dead.

My FR-S (even with just mild summer tires) is a much sharper and better balanced tool in corners than my STI ever was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
What did you expect from an econo sedan? Any sports car would be more fun / sharper to drive over a sedan. Not knocking on the STi, I've own 3 & an 05 is my street car. Fun in other ways, but nothing compared to a sports car. Just IMO.
I usually drive with a passenger to work in my FR-S, and he gets this look of fear on his face when I take tight 90 degree turns at 30 mph. Usually braces himself as well. Then the car calmly rolls through the turn with no drama (no tire squeel, minimal body roll) and this puzzled look comes across his face. I hear lately he's been driving a bit crazy in his MB C class sedan, squeeling his tires in turns -- his wife doesn't understand why, but I have a feeling I know. A couple of days ago, he started asking me whether he should buy a sports car ("something like the FR-S") for his next car haha.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #75
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrb View Post
I like a good looking car, but my Vette looked every bit as sweet as my BRZ; maybe even better. Looks don't count for too much when you're looking for a car that's fun to drive...

Very few cars that are as fun as an 02-04 Z06...beast of a car then and now.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #76
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
What did you expect from an econo sedan? Any sports car would be more fun / sharper to drive over a sedan. Not knocking on the STi, I've own 3 & an 05 is my street car. Fun in other ways, but nothing compared to a sports car. Just IMO.
It's all relative. The twins are in a league of their own.

After my wife and took a road trip in our Prius; driving that car for 1,200 miles, getting back in my WRX was like getting back into a Lotus Elise.

Relative to most cars the WRX/STi is a sports car, technically sport sedan, but it's still really no slouch. And for a well rounded daily driver the main thing wrong (that you can't mod away with) is its horrible gas mileage.

But when compared to the twins, yes, you'll notice the WRX's short comings (sluggy shifter, not as good seating position, less than sharp handling), but even so when it comes to handling the twins are in the top 1% while the WRX is in the top 3%. And the reverse is probably true of speed between the two.

---

The EJ just wouldn't work in the FR-S, as I like the idea of maxing out an N/A 2.0 liter than slapping on a turbo or shoehorning a bigger engine.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #77
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
Relative to most cars the WRX/STi is a sports car, technically sport sedan, but it's still really no slouch. And for a well rounded daily driver the main thing wrong (that you can't mod away with) is its horrible gas mileage.
Get a tune and you can get better gas mileage than stock. It's been proven time and time again with the WRX and even STI that you can get >25 mpg. Hell, my friend with a '10 and another friend with a '12 WRX both get high 20 mpg consistently. The one with the '10 is stage 2 Protuned and the '12 is stock.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #78
Noke

Drives: BRZ
Here's my two cents. I'll admit this car is slow below 4rpm but after that it has a decent good kick to it. Yeah the price for this car is kinda overpriced for what you get. I almost got bored of his car because I didn't have a chance to push its limits cuz of not finding any good back roads with twist and turns. But the other day I found a 25mph turn ... That's when all of my money on this car screamed out "yes ... I'm worth every penny". I took that 25mph turn going 60 and hell ... This car sure knows how to handle. Even with the stock tires I heard no tires slipping or anything ... This car won't break track time but when u wanna go hard on turns ... Even stock. Then this car is worth the buying. I doubt a stock heavy weight gen coup or mustang can pull that off ... But then again we are talking about different class of card .
Old 05-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #79
groucho

Drives: '65 Lotus Elan, '05 Elise, '22 BRZ
After a year of the car being out, people still don't "get it" - the car doesn't need or WANT huge horsepower. I also went from an STI to a BRZ and don't regret it at all. (Actually, an '02 WRX, '05 STi, and '08 STI - all WRB!) The car is much more Lotus-like (which appeals to be as it shares a garage with my old Elan!) If all you care about is power, get yourself a big V8.

The engine doesn't deserve the abuse it's getting in this thread, either - 100hp/liter for an NA engine is still pretty damn good. It sounds decent, and sounds great with a good exhaust (I recently put a Borla on mine.)

I think that the car would be ideal with 230-250hp. No more than 300hp.

Formerly '13 DGM 6MT BRZ Limited
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #80
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Late to the party. Nevertheless, welcome aboard and congrats! Glad to hear everyone is loving their BRZ over the STI's as it was a toss up between the two for me before getting behind the driver's seat of the BRZ.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #81
BRZJonny

Drives: 2013 Satin White BRZ Limited
Kinda funny...I went to the dealer to test drive an '12 STI that had 20,000 miles on it. I left with a BRZ...
BRZJonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #82
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
After a year of the car being out, people still don't "get it" - the car doesn't need or WANT huge horsepower. I also went from an STI to a BRZ and don't regret it at all. (Actually, an '02 WRX, '05 STi, and '08 STI - all WRB!) The car is much more Lotus-like (which appeals to be as it shares a garage with my old Elan!) If all you care about is power, get yourself a big V8.

The engine doesn't deserve the abuse it's getting in this thread, either - 100hp/liter for an NA engine is still pretty damn good. It sounds decent, and sounds great with a good exhaust (I recently put a Borla on mine.)

I think that the car would be ideal with 230-250hp. No more than 300hp.
You just contradicted yourself to some degree. And some of us find it insulting that you think just because we want more power we don't care about handling. I think it's safe to say that those of us that want lightweight, handling and speed would all be driving Porsches (if we could afford them). It's well within Subaru's means to give us a more powerful version for a still affordable price; just remains to be seen if that will happen.

100hp/liter is great, but when the end result is still just 200hp and 151 torque and an engine that is bogged down by it's AC compressor at low rpm, well then it's still going to get criticism. If the engine was 100hp/liter and had a displacement of 2.5 liters then I would imagine most people on this forum would celebrate this car as the second coming. Hell I probably would. But it's just 2.0 liters and is thus nothing special.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #83
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I think the engine would be fine if the car wasn't so heavy at 2750lbs.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #84
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
engine that is bogged down by it's AC compressor at low rpm
And that's a problem because....?
The compressor shuts down the moment you floor it.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote