follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #169
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
I'm running the RCE springs, Whiteline camber bolts, and COMCs. Right now I am at -2.75 in the front. I don't think I can get any more neg camber with the parts I have. With this setup and my race wheels I still have a pinky finger's worth of clearance between the lower spring perch and the tire/rim.

I've got 2 12" subs in the trunk with a box. I've also got the Whiteline rear LCAs, and have the lower eyelet of the stock struts on the outermost mounting hole. This causes the rear end to ride a bit lower, not sure exactly how much. My rear is currently set to -2.5 camber.

My DD tires are 225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the factory wheels. My AutoX setup is 17x9ET35 RPF1s on 245/40R17 Z2s. Neither rubs at all on my car.
Wow, great to hear you can get that much camber!! Love the setup and the drop with the RCE yellows; I am sold.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smbstyle For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (11-15-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #170
ajcacio

Drives: DGM BRZ-L
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@whataboutbob have you had a chance to test the Winamx pads yet? What are your opinions?
ajcacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #171
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,001 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcacio View Post
@whataboutbob have you had a chance to test the Winamx pads yet? What are your opinions?
The Winmax W3 pads have been great for me so far. I DD the car quite a bit and they are very easy to modulate and don't generate a bunch of dust/noise.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #172
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
DROOOOOOOOL on those freakin' tires!!! Those look so good! WOW!!!
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #173
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Garage
The r comps were aged out. Thinking this might work:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Attached Images

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #174
ajcacio

Quote:
The Winmax W3 pads have been great for me so far. I DD the car quite a bit and they are very easy to modulate and don't generate a bunch of dust/noise.
Do you do mostly solo? Have you done any HPDE's?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #175
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Garage
Quote:
Only SOLO and DD. @Moto-P can comment on HPDE performance.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #176
ajcacio

Quote:
Only SOLO and DD. @Moto-P can comment on HPDE performance.
Thanks for your input.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcacio For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (12-05-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #177
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Given the schedule for what I do, I couldn't attend any recent HPDE by NASA, but I do take to the raceways similarly for Extreme Speed, Speed Ventures, Speedtrial USA and other functions we assist or have relations with for operations, as well as corporate testing days and third party track events for companies like Scion, Toyota Motor Sales USA Marketing/PR and Lexus, Falken, and few other entities.

To what sort of inquiries would I be able to answer? I'm all ears for Bob here
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #178
ajcacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Given the schedule for what I do, I couldn't attend any recent HPDE by NASA, but I do take to the raceways similarly for Extreme Speed, Speed Ventures, Speedtrial USA and other functions we assist or have relations with for operations, as well as corporate testing days and third party track events for companies like Scion, Toyota Motor Sales USA Marketing/PR and Lexus, Falken, and few other entities.

To what sort of inquiries would I be able to answer? I'm all ears for Bob here
Hey! I noticed a while ago that the Cusco shop car had Winmax logos, Google led me to their site. In the near future, I'll be in the market for some track pads (mostly solo, but HPDE/PDX at Road Atlanta and some other local tracks) that I can commute on as well. I'd love to hear your impressions if you have any.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #179
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Hey! I noticed a while ago that the Cusco shop car had Winmax logos, Google led me to their site. In the near future, I'll be in the market for some track pads (mostly solo, but HPDE/PDX at Road Atlanta and some other local tracks) that I can commute on as well. I'd love to hear your impressions if you have any.
Well there's 2 street use pads and 5 different track pads, so I could recommend a set if you give me a little more about how you like pads to behave. Or if you give me a competing product you use and which one you prefer out of another make of pads... That way I can be more in tune with what your driving style and preference to be, and recommend and explain how they feel. This is for a FRS/BRZ right?
www.club4ag.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (01-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #180
ajcacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Well there's 2 street use pads and 5 different track pads, so I could recommend a set if you give me a little more about how you like pads to behave. Or if you give me a competing product you use and which one you prefer out of another make of pads... That way I can be more in tune with what your driving style and preference to be, and recommend and explain how they feel. This is for a FRS/BRZ right?
Yep, BRZ. I'm very humbly returning to track days after a pretty nasty crash at Road Atlanta six years ago. I auto-x'ed my STi on Hawk HP+ for a while. I wasn't a huge fan of how noisy and dusty they were (which is obviously a tradeoff) but I felt they were adequate for autocross and some laps on a go kart track. Honestly, it's been so long since I've done serious tracking that I can't be any more detailed than that. For all intents and purposes consider me a total novice. I was looking at Project Mu HC+800, those seem to be a popular pad for mixed duty.

Edit: I'll be using 255/35-18 Pilot Super Sports for those track days.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #181
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Garage
20,376 views! Thanks everyone for taking a look and commenting.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #182
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Yep, BRZ. I'm very humbly returning to track days after a pretty nasty crash at Road Atlanta six years ago. I auto-x'ed my STi on Hawk HP+ for a while. I wasn't a huge fan of how noisy and dusty they were (which is obviously a tradeoff) but I felt they were adequate for autocross and some laps on a go kart track. Honestly, it's been so long since I've done serious tracking that I can't be any more detailed than that. For all intents and purposes consider me a total novice. I was looking at Project Mu HC+800, those seem to be a popular pad for mixed duty.

Edit: I'll be using 255/35-18 Pilot Super Sports for those track days.
For autocross, there is not reason for the brakes to actually fade since the duration is typically only about 30~90 seconds long. And for short track duties, this isn't going to be heavy on huge braking needs until you start chasing after trophies. I can recommend Winmax W2 as something you can use with absolutely no noise and very minimal dust. It's still a non-metallic compound brake, but it's held up to my time attacks at Streets of Willow and Laguna Seca fairly well at some decent speeds and duration, and well beyond the limits and pace of OEM stock brakes crumbled to oblivion... So that's our very strong seller for the FRS/BRZ.
If you are a seasoned track driver, you might enjoy the slightly more positive braking touch (pedal feel) of a semi-metallic pad like W3 and W4 for a bit more cash, but again, this will start to venture you into a more dusty and noisy territory...not as bad as Hawk HP+ in noise but yeah comparable in terms of chores in cleaning.

Winmaxusa.com website should be open by sometime next week and W2 will be available for $115 per axle, so $230 a set. Which is a bit cheaper than Project Mu or Endless in comparable pads, and a little more advanced than Cobalts or Hawk in terms of materials used. W2's should serve you very well for the time being, till you run some serious track compound tires, or start lapping 100 mph+ tracks with deep braking zones for over 20 minutes at a time.

W3 will also serve you well, but as it is made with rare-earth metal composites, it does cost a tad more at $150 per axle. I won't say it's better since brakes are very much dependent on who drives and with what equipment. W2 is better for a dual-role city commute/part time shot track/autocross type application. W3 just extends that a bit more, while introducing to you a bit more of what a racing brake pad feels like.

Both W2 and W3 does stay relatively consistent over huge temperature ranges but with a bit of flavor for the stock/silent feel W2 or firm, positive, feel for the extended track and autocross...W3.

If you are on a budget and still want things to hold up much better than stock Subaru supplied OEM stuff, you can also try the W1 for very similar feel to the stock, but with a much bigger headroom for high temperature consistency. That's only $95 per axle...
www.club4ag.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
ajcacio (12-07-2013), PandaBRZ (12-07-2013), whataboutbob (12-06-2013)