follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Freedom

Drives: PEARL WHITE GT86 TRD
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
TRD Exhaust Sound and any further advice

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of ordering my GT 86. I only have one thing I am not sure of. I have searched these forums and youtube for sounds of the TRD exhaust but I haven't been able to find a decent sound clip. I have found a few okish ones but they don't sound that great so I am not sure if it is just the recording quality.

I want to get the full trd kit with the exhaust (personally I like the 4 pipes) but I would like a clearer picture of what this exhaust sounds like. I have heard the BRZ exhaust and that sounds great. Is the TRD exhaust similar? Is there anyone out there that can share their experience?

Would it be better to get the trd kit with out the exhaust and look for after market ones or the BRZ instead?

I am sure many of you have gone through this thought process already so I thought I would seek your advice.

Additionally, is there anything I should be aware of before I order the car or anything extra I should ask for?

Kind regards

Last edited by Freedom; 04-27-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Alang

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0 Std.
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Congrats on choosing the right car, you definitely won't be disappointed!
The reason you can't find sound clips of the TRD exhaust is that it sounds pretty much identical to the stock exhaust. The only real advantage is the four tips but there's another thread where someone is selling one so if that's all you're after, contact @Die$eL and save yourself some cash and buy it second hand. (Fills the TRD body kit nicely).

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62966

If it's sound you're after then you can't go wrong with the BRZ exhaust. Sounds great and brilliant value for money plus it's kind of OEM.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Moe

Drives: Lexus IS250, Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
For R20k, in my opinion it's not worth it. AFAIK, there are zero gains and it does not appear to sound any different to the stock exhaust.

The better option is to buy the BRZ exhaust for around R5k - R6k. That sounds much better and has some proven gains. However, check with your dealer on the warranty implications.

Do a search on this sub forum for the word "exhaust". A few other local exhaust options have been discussed.

BTW, are you ordering the high spec of standard. Looking forward to one more local 86 driver on the road
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
Freedom

Thanks for all the fast responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
For R20k, in my opinion it's not worth it. AFAIK, there are zero gains and it does not appear to sound any different to the stock exhaust.

The better option is to buy the BRZ exhaust for around R5k - R6k. That sounds much better and has some proven gains. However, check with your dealer on the warranty implications.

Do a search on this sub forum for the word "exhaust". A few other local exhaust options have been discussed.

BTW, are you ordering the high spec of standard. Looking forward to one more local 86 driver on the road
I will be getting the high spec one. I must say I think I should hold back on the exhaust then. The dealer has quoted me 25k for the trd exhaust. They mentioned to me that it is louder than the stock exhaust but from what I have watched and read I cannot distinguish a huge difference. And its almost impossible to go and find a trd version to test drive.

I found this forum by accident (or just by doing some research) and I was surprised to see a "south african" section. I actually read this forum quite thoroughly before posting. So, I have seen the other exhausts available and I also found the sound clips for the brz exhaust .

My plan is to one day also get the RGM SC installed so I guess then the trd exhaust is a real waste since it is not compatible with that conversion, or is it?

The other things is also the warranty. From what I have read in the forum some dealers are fine with it and others not. I am also wondering if the sales person will just say anything to make the sale. I will see what they have to say next week.

Should I consider getting a maintenance plan for this vehicle? I am assuming that it is not an expensive car to maintain.

ps.

Is there a way to correct the typo in my title? I see I can edit my post but not the title.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Alang

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0 Std.
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
RGM fits an aftermarket exhaust. So the BRZ exhaust shouldn't be a problem and would be better than TRD but you'd need to check with them on that. At R25k, that exhaust really isn't worth it though IMO.
Also, with any mods chat to your dealer. The better your relationship with them, the safer you'll be but remember unless it's in writing there are no guarantees, and they arnt going to put that in writing.
Maintenance plans are great, but it's kind of like insurance. Costs you a lot and you don't always get anything back but if you need it you'll be glad to have it.
I've had mine for 16 months now and my maintenance costs (apart from fuel) are sitting on exactly R0! So yep, you could say the costs are pretty low
Old 04-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
RGM build their own exhausts (63mm), and they don't use jigs - they build it on your car. I'm very happy with mine and I love the sound of it - just loud enough and just quiet enough - if that makes any sense.
I also enjoy the way it crackles and pops at times. Although I'm not sure whether that's caused by the exhaust, the SC, or the tune.

Last price I saw for RGM's exhaust was R9900
Old 04-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
TRD exhaust is only the rear box with TRD engraved on the tips. R25k smell a rat.....
Most guys in KZN are getting the BRZ and going through to Powerflow and adding twin tips. Sounds better and gets you a few wkw more.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #8
Freedom

Ok so it is clear the trd exhaust is not worth getting, so now the question is will the standard exhaust / brz exhaust with the single pipes fit or look weird with the trd rear bumper?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
Moe

Drives: Lexus IS250, Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Ok so it is clear the trd exhaust is not worth getting, so now the question is will the standard exhaust / brz exhaust with the single pipes fit or look weird with the trd rear bumper?
The stock rear pipes are pretty large in diameter, so I think they would still look good with the TRD kit.

Either case, you can always have tips redone at a later stage, independent of exhaust. My suggestion is to attend a dyno day, event or meet-up or 2 - there's always lots of guys which have various exhaust combinations that you can have a look at and listen to. Then decide what you want.

Companies like RGM and RMS are also present at some of the events and you can also have a look at the various set-ups and cars to help you decide as well. I've only attended 2 local meet-ups so far, so I'm not exactly a "regular" but some of the guys have been super helpful and friendly.

Oh, friendly warning: the mods and looks you want now will not be the mods you have sleepless nights with after attending a meet-up. Some of the local guys have some superb looking cars that will influence your decision on what to do with your own car
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
The stock rear pipes are pretty large in diameter, so I think they would still look good with the TRD kit.

Either case, you can always have tips redone at a later stage, independent of exhaust. My suggestion is to attend a dyno day, event or meet-up or 2 - there's always lots of guys which have various exhaust combinations that you can have a look at and listen to. Then decide what you want.

Companies like RGM and RMS are also present at some of the events and you can also have a look at the various set-ups and cars to help you decide as well. I've only attended 2 local meet-ups so far, so I'm not exactly a "regular" but some of the guys have been super helpful and friendly.

Oh, friendly warning: the mods and looks you want now will not be the mods you have sleepless nights with after attending a meet-up. Some of the local guys have some superb looking cars that will influence your decision on what to do with your own car
Thanks Moe. Yes, I have had many sleepless nights over this car already haha.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
There's a Toyota Twin Cam Club track day at Zwartkops on 25th May (I think).
There should be several 86's there.

And for a suitable bribe I'm sure that you'll find someone to take you out for a few laps in an 86 so you can see how well they handle on track.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
There's a Toyota Twin Cam Club track day at Zwartkops on 25th May (I think).
There should be several 86's there.

And for a suitable bribe I'm sure that you'll find someone to take you out for a few laps in an 86 so you can see how well they handle on track.
Well, hopefully I'll have mine by then
The Following User Says Thank You to Freedom For This Useful Post:
Fish Eagle (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
DrSUTRA
Ayushhealthcare.co.za

Drives: 86 Hi spec TRD 2013, past C32 AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@Freedom, I pm'd you some info. All in all the BRZ is a great investment, and well worth having done.

Enjoy!

Regards!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #14
Freedom

I found this video on the TRD exhaust but the US version so its still a single pipe -_- but it has a comparison to the stock exhaust.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S69aFbQFfq0"]Scion FR-S Subaru BRZ Toyota GT86 TRD Sport Exhaust Sound Test comparison mini:review - YouTube[/ame]

And a short clip of the TRD sound:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DN4TCyfQ5E"]toyota86 TRD exhaust system Racing - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Freedom; 04-22-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Tags
advice, sound, trd, trd exhaust