follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #99
qtwre

Drives: White FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I sent my Stg 2 back to Exedy for inspection. Evan couldn't find anything wrong with it, but he's sent me their other stg 2 kit which uses the stock flywheel to try. That should be installed today if all goes well. He's keeping my old stg 2 kit for further testing with stock hydraulics.

Edit: Something that bugs me a bit is that they sent it back COD. Having already paid my mechanic a few times to have this in and out, and pay to ship it to them, you'd think they could incur a bit of cost as a goodwill gesture at least.

Last edited by qtwre; 11-05-2014 at 01:39 PM.
qtwre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qtwre For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #100
blown

Drives: ft86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Seriously nobody wants to try out this fix? Replacing the pin on the slave, worked perfect on toyotas. My engine is not installed right now, so I can't test this out yet.

It's better than pulling the gearbox off multiple times.
blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #101
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown View Post
Seriously nobody wants to try out this fix? Replacing the pin on the slave, worked perfect on toyotas. My engine is not installed right now, so I can't test this out yet.

It's better than pulling the gearbox off multiple times.
The problem is your fix doesn't seem it will fix anything since, this by any measure seems to be a clutch specific issue, not a car mechanical issue. If it where a car mechanical issue, we would be hearing lots of complains about it on all brands of clutches.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #102
blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
The problem is your fix doesn't seem it will fix anything since, this by any measure seems to be a clutch specific issue, not a car mechanical issue. If it where a car mechanical issue, we would be hearing lots of complains about it on all brands of clutches.
what's it hurt to try if it works or not? sure beats pulling the gearbox out that is for sure.

plus it's not all clutches, more of the design on the pressure plate and the factory adjust-ability of the pedal. this new pin is a little longer, to fully disengage the clutch.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #103
marcoaferrer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Could ruin the teeth on the pressure plate from over extending
marcoaferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcoaferrer For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #104
marcoaferrer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
And loose any chance of warranty with exedy
marcoaferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #105
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Drives: Faster than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I'm actually getting this on my FX400 David. It's not as horrific but maybe 1 out of every 10 first gear shifts is rough to get in. Reverse is a little worse maybe 3 out of 10 shifts are rough.

My only concern is the inconsistency. Leads me to believe driver/pedal/mechanics over the actual clutch.

I will offer my insight also on installation, with regards to the input spline/clutch plate. I've installed 5 frs/brz clutches now in my garage with varying manufacturers. Exedy, Clutchmasters, ACT. The teeth on the spline and clutch plate are very sharp. Sharp in such a way that during installation you could scar the input shaft or malform the clutch plate trying to wiggle the tranny back on. The flywheel bearing can shift slightly, etc.

I can't speak for any shops out there installing 86 clutches, but I would advise great care in sliding the tranny back in place. There is not enough room in the chassis above the rear of the output shaft to align it perfectly with the motor as the motor tilts forward a bit without the tranny weighing it down. An inexperienced installer could damage the shaft or clutch plate in a way that prevents the clutch plate from moving freely.

I'm not saying Exedy is at fault or not at fault, and it could be the case that their clutch plates have less tolerance/clearance sliding on the input shaft. I would advise anyone installing a new clutch plate, slide the plate on the input shaft prior to installation and check that it moves freely.

tldr; clutch installation issues or rather the re-installation of the tranny can cause gear lockout issues.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #106
blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoaferrer View Post
And loose any chance of warranty with exedy
Is exedy warranting/refunding customers?

seems like exedy isn't doing anything about the warranty anyways. people are changing clutch brands having to buy two or three clutches. dropping gearboxes 2,3,4 times. try this new pin out.

It worked great on my 2zzge elise when I had a similar issues.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #107
qtwre

For those who haven't been following my posts in this thread, I'll quickly summarize what I've been up to.

I believe I was one of the first people with the problem of being locked out of gears with the Exedy stage 2 clutch. It had been installed by my mechanic and started getting very bad as break-in progressed. I then called Exedy about this (as more of you should.) I received specific instructions about cleaning and properly greasing the input shaft, so my mechanic took it out, cleaned things up and tried again. Not at all better. Somewhere along the line he also adjusted the clutch pedal and bled the clutch line.

With the problem becoming much worse over time (maybe a month,) rather than better, I called Exedy again and they gave me an RGA to send it in for inspection. Evan at Exedy could find nothing wrong with it. No damage and all measurements were within spec of the blueprint. I certainly didn't want him to just send it back to me, because despite his results, it still doesn't work, so he sent me their other stage 2 kit which uses a 3-puck disc and the stock flywheel. That was installed yesterday.

Let me just say... This other stage 2 kit is better than the initial kit ever was. The pedal effort is somewhere between stock and the initial kit. There is no chatter or shuddering. I was super afraid of getting a 3-puck because I didn't want it to feel like a 1980s supercar with an on/off feel. Somehow this thing is practically OEM in feeling. It's really a delight to use.

I'm saying this having only driven it around aimlessly for an evening, so something could still develop like it did for the initial kit, but this kit lacks the somewhat noisy and harsh qualities that the initial kit had.

So having said all this, the fact remains that Exedy says their full kit (with flywheel) is totally fine, despite our problems here. I couldn't drive my car with their completely-within-spec full kit. I can now with this other kit.

Could everyone PLEASE contact Exedy to state your problems. This isn't going to get fixed by saying "me too" on a forum. Installing an aftermarket clutch has ended up being expensive as hell and I'm super unimpressed with Exedy this time. They screwed up with their kit and they don't even know it. You people have to step up and tell them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qtwre For This Useful Post:
jher (11-06-2014), Ramster (03-16-2015)
Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #108
buddy32

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtwre View Post
Let me just say... This other stage 2 kit is better than the initial kit ever was. The pedal effort is somewhere between stock and the initial kit. There is no chatter or shuddering. I was super afraid of getting a 3-puck because I didn't want it to feel like a 1980s supercar with an on/off feel. Somehow this thing is practically OEM in feeling. It's really a delight to use.

So having said all this, the fact remains that Exedy says their full kit (with flywheel) is totally fine, despite our problems here. I couldn't drive my car with their completely-within-spec full kit. I can now with this other kit.
Can you point me in the direction of this "other kit"?

Thanks!!
buddy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #109
qtwre

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy32 View Post
Can you point me in the direction of this "other kit"?

Thanks!!
From Evan's reply a few pages back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySTI View Post
Has anybody tried our stage 2 kit for the OEM flywheel? Part number is TK07T.

Has the issue only been the 15953FW?
So the new kit I'm talking about is TK07T.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qtwre For This Useful Post:
buddy32 (11-06-2014), jher (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #110
jher

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtwre View Post
For those who haven't been following my posts in this thread, I'll quickly summarize what I've been up to.

I believe I was one of the first people with the problem of being locked out of gears with the Exedy stage 2 clutch. It had been installed by my mechanic and started getting very bad as break-in progressed. I then called Exedy about this (as more of you should.) I received specific instructions about cleaning and properly greasing the input shaft, so my mechanic took it out, cleaned things up and tried again. Not at all better. Somewhere along the line he also adjusted the clutch pedal and bled the clutch line.

With the problem becoming much worse over time (maybe a month,) rather than better, I called Exedy again and they gave me an RGA to send it in for inspection. Evan at Exedy could find nothing wrong with it. No damage and all measurements were within spec of the blueprint. I certainly didn't want him to just send it back to me, because despite his results, it still doesn't work, so he sent me their other stage 2 kit which uses a 3-puck disc and the stock flywheel. That was installed yesterday.

I'm saying this having only driven it around aimlessly for an evening, so something could still develop like it did for the initial kit, but this kit lacks the somewhat noisy and harsh qualities that the initial kit had.

Could everyone PLEASE contact Exedy to state your problems. This isn't going to get fixed by saying "me too" on a forum. Installing an aftermarket clutch has ended up being expensive as hell and I'm super unimpressed with Exedy this time. They screwed up with their kit and they don't even know it. You people have to step up and tell them.

Keep us posted after you break it in and have put miles on it. Like to know if it does or doesn't have the same issue.
jher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #111
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsquid View Post
I'm actually getting this on my FX400 David. It's not as horrific but maybe 1 out of every 10 first gear shifts is rough to get in. Reverse is a little worse maybe 3 out of 10 shifts are rough.

My only concern is the inconsistency. Leads me to believe driver/pedal/mechanics over the actual clutch.
David and Ironsquid,

I would also have to concur on the 1st gear and possible the reverse issues. It's rare but it has happened a few time with 1st gear not wanting to go in. I honestly want to believe it is more of a transmission issue. Though I am using a different Exedy setup than the stage 2 (hyper single w/ thin 6 puck disk & aluminum flywheel) the problems are still noticeable at times.

However, I haven't adjusted my clutch pedal at all and the play feels perfectly in the middle. I did notice that normal driving the clutch engages and disengages fine. However, after the car has been pushed hard for a while and doing a few launches pushing 350lbs wtq I noticed at stops (if in 1st gear and clutch disengaged) the car will want to move forward very slightly when the brake is let up. Almost like the feeling of letting off the brake on an automatic and the car slightly moves forward.

So basically, it seems like transmission issues on first gear and issues with our master & slave clutch cylinder. I think the slave cylinder is trying to extend further than it should on these aftermarket clutches. At least in my situation it seems that way. Heat might also contribute to the issue in regards to the master and slave cylinder.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Last edited by shiro; 11-06-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Clarification
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #112
Draco_PR23
Fiebru

Drives: Scion FR-S and Integra Type R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I contacted ExedyUSA by email about my issues but they havent responded yet, I will wait a few more days before I give them a call.
2012 Spruce Mica Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
2000 Phoenix Yellow Acura Integra Type R
Draco_PR23 is offline   Reply With Quote