follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:30 AM   #2843
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I am sure your parents will be very proud about you. This had no relation with the discussion.

Oh I thought confidentiality was thrown out the window. It is very relevant if we consider that to be the case.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #2844
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
what I'd guess would happen is they push the twins downmarket. Pricing it at or below $20k would help it immensely.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #2845
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
what I'd guess would happen is they push the twins downmarket. Pricing it at or below $20k would help it immensely.
When these things are over 30k now that wont happen. They were supposedly going to be under 20k to begin with, which would have made them sell like crazy (IMO) and be considered one of the greatest bargains. Like the NSRT4 of its day. Instead they came out and..... it is what it is.

Prices will keep climbing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #2846
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
When these things are over 30k now that wont happen. They were supposedly going to be under 20k to begin with, which would have made them sell like crazy (IMO) and be considered one of the greatest bargains. Like the NSRT4 of its day. Instead they came out and..... it is what it is.

The Yen went nuts right before they were officially announced and they had no choice but to bump the price up. With a new gen they can figure out how to drop the price, because it really is needed.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #2847
Tcoat

Quote:
Yes, that is what companies are saying in such cases to their employees. You just stay out of the discussion either you know something either you don't. In fact joining a forum and implying your position on a specific company either directly or indirectly is also not the best thing to do.

I am well aware of what I may or may not discuss according to company policy. An unidentified document that is posted online is not on the list. How big a company do you think ZF is anyway? The tranny division isn't even remotely linked to the division I work for and I sure as hell did not release the document to the Supra forum where it originated.
I have never publicly implied anything about where I worked other than it was a "major automotive parts supplier" so not sure what your angle is when YOU were the one to make the statement and call me to this thread.
Ya not the best thing since you never know what sort of hypocritical, whiny, manchild will break their promise of confidentiality in order to try and discredit you.
DriftinFRS (07-18-2018), dtbdan (07-18-2018), Shark_Bait88 (07-18-2018), Stang70Fastback (07-18-2018), weederr33 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #2848
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, that is what companies are saying in such cases to their employees. You just stay out of the discussion either you know something either you don't. In fact joining a forum and implying your position on a specific company either directly or indirectly is also not the best thing to do.
Well you're actually the on who brought up where I work, I was trying to keep it out of this conversation because it's not relevant and I figured it would only make rvoll add some more layers of tinfoil to his hat.
DriftinFRS (07-18-2018), Tcoat (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:31 AM   #2849
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
The Yen went nuts right before they were officially announced and they had no choice but to bump the price up. With a new gen they can figure out how to drop the price, because it really is needed.
Nah. They are not going to be able to trim 30% off the price of the 86. If they did there would probably not be much demand for any version that could be offered at that price anyway. The whole idea of this 4 cylinder Supra is based off a list of transmissions from an unknown source. There is zero info anyplace else to support such a car will even exist. Even that list already shows one 4 cylinder version struck from the "production plan". If by some weird chance they actually did this then the 4s would probably be the $40K car everybody seems to expect and the others in the $50 to $70K range. I truly don't see much of a market for a 4.
why? (07-20-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #2850
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
Well you're actually the on who brought up where I work, I was trying to keep it out of this conversation because it's not relevant and I figured it would only make rvoll add some more layers of tinfoil to his hat.
Ok, this is starting to get non-sense. You mentioned in the past more than once in public that you are working for ZF. You were even volunteering to order some parts from Europe or help members to get in touch with the appropriate people in your company or something like that. I don't remember the complete details. Maybe Tcoat didn't want to get mentioned and maybe it was my mistake, although I don't remember promising anything about confidentiality, but your case is entirely different. What is your issue if I wanted rvoll to know with whom is talking?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #2851
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The whole idea of this 4 cylinder Supra is based off a list of transmissions from an unknown source. There is zero info anyplace else to support such a car will even exist. .
What about this?
Road & Track web editor Chris Perkins had the chance to speak with Supra chief engineer Testsuya Tada at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few days ago, and the Toyota employee confirmed that there will indeed be a four-cylinder Supra. Tada also elaborated, saying the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter, with "much better weight distribution" and a sharper-feeling turn-in. Tada also remarked that, for the Supra owners who plan to swap in a 2JZ engine, "please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ylinder-supra/
Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #2852
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok, this is starting to get non-sense. You mentioned in the past more than once in public that you are working for ZF. You were even volunteering to order some parts from Europe or help members to get in touch with the appropriate people in your company or something like that. I don't remember the complete details. Maybe Tcoat didn't want to get mentioned and maybe it was my mistake, although I don't remember promising anything about confidentiality, but your case is entirely different. What is your issue if I wanted rvoll to know with whom is talking?
I've mentioned where I work in the past in threads where it wasn't related to something potentially controversial, and have never disclosed anything that would violate any sort of conduct or privacy guidelines.

I never offered to order anything from Europe for anyone, and only offered to connect people with the correct parties to order SACHS coilovers if they were interested. Since for most people that's the only way to get a hold of them.

I was trying to keep my place of work out of this conversation because I knew it'd cause the sort of unfounded speculation that rvoll went straight to, namely that I'm a company plant trying to save face. Which couldn't be further from the truth. Like Tcoat hinted at, ZF is a HUGE company. For all intents and purposes, I work for a totally different company than where this leak may have potentially come from. I was simply trying to get to the idea that I'm someone within the industry who has a better understanding of how things work within it.

I don't necessarily have an issue with you letting him know where I work, I know I've made it somewhat public on here before and he could easily find that out if he did some very light digging within the forum. My issue came more from this post of yours:

Quote:
My comments in here are in no way directed by or representative of my employer, and my only mentions of where I work have been in order to be upfront about a product I'm reviewing (the SACHS coilovers I had) and to let people know I can legitimately connect them to the right person to purchase the product if they wanted (not offering any special discount, connections, or anything).
nikitopo (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #2853
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEN View Post
if the new gen will have the 4cyl turbo, im gonna trade mine

sadly the rumors say it will have 2400cc
Yes, but the rumors also say that it'll be a turbo motor, so power would be respectable for an (arguably) light sports car, and you know they're leaving power on the table to make the car survive everyday life for 200k miles, so the tuners are going to make a killing getting 4-cylinder Supra owners to pay for a tune to squeeze out plenty of extra power. We already know 350hp out of a similarly sized engine isn't uncommon these days.

See, that's at least fun rumor stuff to talk about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
OMEN (07-23-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #2854
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
What about this?
Road & Track web editor Chris Perkins had the chance to speak with Supra chief engineer Testsuya Tada at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few days ago, and the Toyota employee confirmed that there will indeed be a four-cylinder Supra. Tada also elaborated, saying the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter, with "much better weight distribution" and a sharper-feeling turn-in. Tada also remarked that, for the Supra owners who plan to swap in a 2JZ engine, "please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ylinder-supra/
I will maintain my standard skeptical stand on any comments made during these "interviews". They have been well known to misquote or outright make shit up.
I find it hard to believe that after all this time and all the speculation on this the fact there will be two versions of the Supra comes out of the blue during an interview.
Won't be long before we know the reality anyway. If I was mistaken in my OPINION I will be glad to say so.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #2855
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tada has been saying all along that there would be 3 Toyota sports cars. Speculation has been that the MR2 would be making a comeback but I have always been skeptical of that. It makes a weird kind of sense that they would leave the 86 as the low end sports car, the 4 cylinder "Supra" as the middle sports car and the 6 cylinder Supra as the top of the line sports car. My guess is that the price ranges will be $30K for the 86, 42-45K for the 4 cylinder and 55-63K for the 6 cylinder.

There have been rumors all along that the Supra would be a turbo 4 and there were rumors that the Supra would be a turbo inline 6. Maybe both were correct. We will see in a few more months.

I do not believe for a moment that the Supra 4, if it indeed exist, is intended to replace the 86. It is simply going to be too expensive.
Adam_L (07-19-2018), dtbdan (07-18-2018), HKz (07-18-2018), humfrz (07-18-2018), Overdrive (07-18-2018), Shark_Bait88 (07-18-2018), Tcoat (07-18-2018), TorontoNat (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #2856
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post

And how. Last week I drove a $25K '19 Corolla Hatchback XSE 6M/T. The CVT was $26.6K, both above base '18 Camry.

Volume manufacturers have to price high initially then offer cashback, APR discounts, lease subventions, military and college grad rebates, accessory package deals, free maintenance, free in-house extended warranties (about what they're worth) and will deliver to your door.

Cashback gets pretty juicy. For the past two months, Avalon had $5K cash back on any model '18's to make way for the all new '19's. I'm hoping for something similar on leftover '19 86's in a year if '20's become the rumored v. 2.0.

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose