follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #141
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
For me (and most others I'd guess) it'll come down to which brand has which trim level, pricing, options, etc. I prefer the look of the FRS for the most part (assuming it's like the GT86/86) but greatly prefer the headlights of the BRZ because the LED strip isn't there.

In the end I don't think one brand will attract more show car people than the other (or more go people than the other for that matter).
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #142
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
SOLLLLLLLLLD

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #143
Nostalgia1987

Drives: Subi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust View Post
I vote BRZ with 86 fender badges
i think the front end looks like a cr-z on a diet

I find the CRZ a nice car, nice concept, but some factors kill it as a buying factor compared to the old CRX from decades past, ie torsion beam rear, underpower engine vs weight and the asking price for this country.

As for the Subaru BRZ people should know the rear lights where only going to stay on the concept (could tell from the beginning), just as the XV and the Impreza concept it was there for showcases purposes only, thats all. Shouldnt be such a massive bitchy topic as it is. Current GT86/BRZ lights looks fairly good, and does justice on the car.

My pick BRZ vs. GT86, given that both are available for purchase in 2012 in this country, i would go for the cheaper option, this would be the Toyota. Colour wise, white or the awesome sunburn colour.
Nostalgia1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #144
igorot
Sneakerhead

Drives: 2003 Honda Civic Si
I'm waiting for more photos cause the angle of the picture changes the look of the brz. I think this car may look a bit more aggressive when dropped and shot from a better angle. We also have yet to see what lip kits may be available for this car
igorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #145
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKev View Post
I smell fake fender vents...

But otherwise...
I thought they said somewhere that they were actually functional. o.O
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #146
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Hmm just pointing out something i see often, look 86 lovers if you dont like the Brz or has decided on the 86 over the Brz you dont have to come to the Brz forum section announcing it in some most offensive ways, if your unhappy then too bad this is what were getting. You can get an 86or FRS .What i dont see and find interesting is Brz people going to the 86 section saying BRZ so much better Im getting that.

This is giving an impression that the quiter Brz crowd is much more civil mature and not as rash.just an observation.

but yes we are all dissapointed about the rear lights, and many of us was hoping for more difference and to some more power. But this is what we are getting, we should just be happy we're getting these 2+2 RWD cars that was going extinct.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #147
NumbersGuy

Drives: Nissan
I like it, but need to see other colors. I have never really been too fond of white cars, though the BRZ pulls it off. I am hoping for a nice dark gunmetal gray color!
NumbersGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #148
JustAnotherNumber

Drives: 2003 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
So what you are saying that the majority of people posting here are of the "show" crowd, cause what I'm seeing is a 5:1 vote of FRS over BRZ. I for one like power, but I don't spend my pastime doing stop light drags. But I prefer the FRS over the BRZ. You can't lump people into a category. The way I read it is....all FRS owners will be Ricers and BRZ owners will be mature enthusiast simply based on looks. However I think pricing has way more weight on differentiating the demographic than how it looks. Just because the FRS is more aggressive looking it's about the "show"....I think not. Maybe it's just the BRZ looks more "boring and bland" and can be mistaken for another car (i.e. made by Mazda).

Power monger to me is someone who thinks HP is all they need to be fast. So they look at a car only by what power it's making (just like this idiot over on clubsciontC comparing the Mustang GT to the FRS/BRZ and saying how it is a fail because it has 200hp).
What I believe he was saying is that the GT86 has a more aggressive look. The look does not necessarily match it's performance figures (HP/TQ). Therefore, it is more show than go.

The Subaru has a more toned down appearance and therefore does not suffer from the all look and no go aspect.

Sorry if that bothers you, but I tend to agree. I wouldn't call the GT86 a ricer, but it's definitely styled more aggressively than what it's putting out.

They have listed 0-60 times around 6.5-7 seconds. I wouldn't call that fast. Therefore, yes, they do need a little more power going down. The earlier mentioned test drive mentioned it handles like a Cayman which is awesome, but everyone doesn't live where there are a lot of twisties.
JustAnotherNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #149
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Hmm just pointing out something i see often, look 86 lovers if you dont like the Brz or has decided on the 86 over the Brz you dont have to come to the Brz forum section announcing it in some most offensive ways, if your unhappy then too bad this is what were getting. You can get an 86or FRS .What i dont see and find interesting is Brz people going to the 86 section saying BRZ so much better Im getting that.

This is giving an impression that the quiter Brz crowd is much more civil mature and not as rash.just an observation.

but yes we are all dissapointed about the rear lights, and many of us was hoping for more difference and to some more power. But this is what we are getting, we should just be happy we're getting these 2+2 RWD cars that was going extinct.

Since when has there been a separation of crowd? The whole forum is called ft86club. It's not the same as having a completely separate website for BRZ and then having FRS owners come over to the BRZ forum and talk about how the SAME car looks better under Toyota.

That would be foolish, but this is different...we are all discovering the car(s) together, and weighing in on which one looks better, cause looks is the only thing we can differentiate right now.

Last edited by Dragonitti; 11-29-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #150
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Since when has there been a separation of crowd? The whole forum is called ft86club. It's not the same as having a completely separate website for BRZ and then having FRS owners come over to the BRZ forum and talk about how the SAME car looks better under Toyota.

That would be foolish, but this is different...we are all discovering the car(s) together, and weighing in on which one looks better, cause looks is the only thing we can differentiate right now.
Well dragon yes, that's true but what Im saying is retarded is the people with less then 10 post coming in with all caps( I think mods cleaned that up last night) and or has like one or 2 post since they joined like a hour ago going. OMGGGGGGG 86 ALLL THE WAY!!! BRZ UGLYYY in one sentence for no reason, omg stupid subaru where's my hood scoop and awd 300 hp sti version.

Discussing is all good... trolling not really... trolling is trolling. Trolls are to be killed with fire.

we're ft86club. not autoblog or jalopnik.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #151
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherNumber View Post
What I believe he was saying is that the GT86 has a more aggressive look. The look does not necessarily match it's performance figures (HP/TQ). Therefore, it is more show than go.

The Subaru has a more toned down appearance and therefore does not suffer from the all look and no go aspect.

Sorry if that bothers you, but I tend to agree. I wouldn't call the GT86 a ricer, but it's definitely styled more aggressively than what it's putting out.

They have listed 0-60 times around 6.5-7 seconds. I wouldn't call that fast. Therefore, yes, they do need a little more power going down. The earlier mentioned test drive mentioned it handles like a Cayman which is awesome, but everyone doesn't live where there are a lot of twisties.

0-60 times are suppose to be in the flat 6 sec range, not mid 6 to high 7. Keep in mind that probably has a lot to do with the Prius Econo tires it runs on.

If your concern is straight line performance, then again as it's already been stated before to people....this car is not for you. If you live where there are not a lot of twisties...why would you buy a car made for it...

So what you are saying is the FRS looks fast. That's fine. I don't have a problem looking fast, because it's body lines are designed to cut through the air. Cause there will always been a means to make more power. I drove around N/A for 2yrs in the same way my tC looks right now. I was quick at the track though for the power I was making. So, the FRS/BRZ will be like my tC in N/A form. I didn't bother with street races, cause the track is where she lets her hair down (that's changed now obviously since I have a turbo, so quick on corners and straight away now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Well dragon yes, that's true but what Im saying is retarded is the people with less then 10 post coming in with all caps( I think mods cleaned that up last night) and or has like one or 2 post since they joined like a hour ago going. OMGGGGGGG 86 ALLL THE WAY!!! BRZ UGLYYY in one sentence for no reason, omg stupid subaru where's my hood scoop and awd 300 hp sti version.

Discussing is all good... trolling not really... trolling is trolling. Trolls are to be killed with fire.

we're ft86club. not autoblog or jalopnik.

Well yea, we all think the noobs are retarded...lol. I must have missed the caps war.

Last edited by Dragonitti; 11-29-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #152
JustAnotherNumber

Drives: 2003 Tacoma
Quote:
0-60 times are suppose to be in the flat 6 sec range, not mid to high 7. Keep in mind that probably has a lot to do with the Prius Econo tires it runs on.

If your concern is straight line performance, then again as it's already been stated before to people....this car is not for you. If you live where there are not a lot of twisties...why would you buy a car made for it...

So what you are saying is the FRS looks fast. That's fine. I don't a problem looking fast, because it's body lines are designed to cut through the air.
I didn't mention being solely concerned with straight line performance. I just stated it would be nice to have more power. Regardless if there are not a lot of twisties around me, I can always go driving for fun in my free time, right?

I can remember reading two reviews so far about how at points they wished it had more power and the chassis feels like it could handle it. I haven't driven the car yet and neither have you. The people who have stated this.

I'll buy whatever vehicle I deem necessary.
JustAnotherNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #153
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherNumber View Post
I didn't mention being solely concerned with straight line performance. I just stated it would be nice to have more power. Regardless if there are not a lot of twisties around me, I can always go driving for fun in my free time, right?

I can remember reading two reviews so far about how at points they wished it had more power and the chassis feels like it could handle it. I haven't driven the car yet and neither have you. The people who have stated this.

I'll buy whatever vehicle I deem necessary.

You have 8 post here. We have had this discussion nearly about a month or so ago. Search for the videos regarding the design philosophy behind this car. If you go through them, you would realize that the first reports about the motor being setup to be easily swapped for the EJ were accurate. You want more power, then swap the EJ in. You want more power I'm sure there will be F/I options available.

Lastly, you were thinking it should come with more power....how much more $ are you wanting to pay above the mid $20k price tag to get that power?

I don't need to drive the car to know what a "drivers" car is suppose to feel like. This car is a momentum car. I've been in momentum cars. I had to drive with momentum when I didn't have a turbo, it teaches you a LOT about car control when you have to be fast based on skill rather than power. Now I have momentum and power so 3 times better...
Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #154
Susanoo

Drives: Honda Jazz (Fit) GE6
I like the front of the GT 86 but I hate the front of the BRZ.
It looks like they copy Peugeot...
Subaru BRZ:

Peugeot RCZ (the name is also close to BRZ...):
Susanoo is offline   Reply With Quote