follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 09-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #5881
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,076 Times in 8,331 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
Lucky man. Sadly, my internal clock always wakes me around 4am no matter what time I go to bed.

Side thought,

Would you rather be happy or be told the harsh truth?
Same here. I woke up around 7ish... but I remember that today is Saturday, so I went back to bed and now this...

I rather be told, I am the sexiest person they ever met than told the harsh truth LMAO

On serious note, most of the time, I rather hear harsh truth
Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #5882
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Same here. I woke up around 7ish... but I remember that today is Saturday, so I went back to bed and now this...

I rather be told, I am the sexiest person they ever met than told the harsh truth LMAO

On serious note, most of the time, I rather hear harsh truth
You're the sexiest person on this board with the way you mod, write, & post. No homo

Yeah I'm debating if I should tell my friend the truth or let him be oblivious to the fact.

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss
The Following User Says Thank You to S2kphile For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-30-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #5883
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
You're the sexiest person on this board with the way you mod, write, & post. No homo

Yeah I'm debating if I should tell my friend the truth or let him be oblivious to the fact.
Truth always.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #5884
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:

LMAO Hell yeah!

Hm... I think, it's up on topic. Some stuff, even it might be harsh, true gotta be told. Some stuff, just leave it be
Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #5885
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

& time for my breakfast, lunch & dinner~

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348956875.601158.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  70.1 KB
Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #5886
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Hahaha thanks for the thoughts man.

My car isn't nearly that great, it's 10.0:1 compression ratio and runs 87. MPG is only bad above 60mph, at 55 I'm cruising along just fine and OBD is indicating mid 40s (although instantaneous mpg is never reliable for calculating, short term average is most useful). Plummets to 30 at "70mph" and at a true 70mph it's down to 25ish. That actually seems about right, as at 3500+ rpm the engine friction and parasitic drag starts to increase at nearly the same rate that load increases due to higher aerodynamic drag. When I was driving behind a truck going 65mph (3500rpm) my mpg went up to about 40.

My mpg concerns come from stop and go city driving, where I seem to be getting 22mpg ish with a cold start. I know cold starts hurt a lot but 22 is in 3L engine territory. By the time it warms up I'm not really doing much better, 25mpg ish, and I kill the engine at any stoplight where the cross street's pedestrian walk signals are still going, coast to stops with deceleration fuel cutout in the highest gear that will allow that, and accelerate pretty close to ideally. My car is under 1 metric ton, in theory it should be pulling 30mpg+ like this...

I don't know if it's the O2 sensor, because if it were really not working it would probably throw a CEL... Heavy deposits could be doing it, my car seems to have an abnormally high amount of knocking sounds pulling away from a start even with light throttle. I've sat in old VW taxis (coincidentally 1.8L as well haha) that shake and groan at low rpm but they don't have pinging sounds. That would explain the shit city mpg. What do people use to clean combustion chambers out without taking things apart? I'm skeptical about stuff like Seafoam.

I should probably log timing advance.
I've always used Mopar's Combustion Chamber Cleaner. I haven't done before and after borescopes, but the butt dyno has always agreed that it works. Just make sure you're not spraying it through your MAF sensor. If you're wondering if you need it, this isn't really definitive, but try running a tank or two of 91 octane and see if issues get better.

I'm a strong believer that sensors don't just have two operating states, working and not. They get old, and inaccurate. That's why instrumentation technicians are full time employees in any manufacturing plant, to re-calibrate sensors on a regular basis. I had a Neon that was knocking ever so lightly at WOT. In the end the cause was a faulty crankshaft position sensor. I never had a code though.

With the way you describe you're driving habits and what I know about toyotas combustion chambers and the BSFC they operate at, I still think you should be doing a little better. But then there's the aerodynamics of a soft top, even up it isn't great.

Meh, there's not much a can really do from here and I'm starting to sound preachy so I'll shut up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Want.FR-S (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #5887
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I've always used Mopar's Combustion Chamber Cleaner. I haven't done before and after borescopes, but the butt dyno has always agreed that it works. Just make sure you're not spraying it through your MAF sensor. If you're wondering if you need it, this isn't really definitive, but try running a tank or two of 91 octane and see if issues get better.

I'm a strong believer that sensors don't just have two operating states, working and not. They get old, and inaccurate. That's why instrumentation technicians are full time employees in any manufacturing plant, to re-calibrate sensors on a regular basis. I had a Neon that was knocking ever so lightly at WOT. In the end the cause was a faulty crankshaft position sensor. I never had a code though.

With the way you describe you're driving habits and what I know about toyotas combustion chambers and the BSFC they operate at, I still think you should be doing a little better. But then there's the aerodynamics of a soft top, even up it isn't great.

Meh, there's not much a can really do from here and I'm starting to sound preachy so I'll shut up.
I think those are all good points. However the reason I'm willing to give the O2 sensors a chance is because the MAF was completely soiled, and so the O2 sensors were essentially controlling fueling, and they were doing a decent job. The unburned gas smell has been slightly reduced since MAF cleaning, I think it's the transient conditions that are doing much better now.

The way I'm driving I would expect something like 30mpg average due to all the cold starting and stuff.

I'm considering just buying some Seafoam, but doing the whole vacuum hose thing seems really sketchy. Pouring into the gas tank frightens me, as that seems like it could hurt the fuel system. I suppose that's how all the cleaners go though...is there any safe cleaning method? lol
Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #5888
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Major League Soccer.

As a hockey fan, how much alcohol will I need for this to be entertaining?

Also,@serialk11r. I don't think you understand how much worse it could be. My new Supra has solid motor mounts, the 600 hp clutch I've already bitched about, an aluminum one piece driveshaft that likes to resonate at 3500 rpm, a piggy back fuel controller that is converting from speed-density to whatever a Karman-Vortex needs, and a turbo sized for maybe 450 hp at the crank, but not tuned for it yet and probably only at 300 hp crank, plus a boost controller that seems to start opening the wastegate at under 5 psi. Driveability? What's that.

But...

Because Supra.

Because titanium.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #5889
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I think those are all good points. However the reason I'm willing to give the O2 sensors a chance is because the MAF was completely soiled, and so the O2 sensors were essentially controlling fueling, and they were doing a decent job. The unburned gas smell has been slightly reduced since MAF cleaning, I think it's the transient conditions that are doing much better now.

The way I'm driving I would expect something like 30mpg average due to all the cold starting and stuff.

I'm considering just buying some Seafoam, but doing the whole vacuum hose thing seems really sketchy. Pouring into the gas tank frightens me, as that seems like it could hurt the fuel system. I suppose that's how all the cleaners go though...is there any safe cleaning method? lol

I go right to the inlet of the throttle body. It's not gonna be pretty. You're gonna have to hold the throttle open a fair amount to keep the engine running, and if it's working well there will be thick white smoke billowing out of the tail pipe. After you get through the can, shut it off right away and leave it for an hour. Then start it up, run it until the even worse smoke is done then shut it down again and change the oil.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #5890
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I go right to the inlet of the throttle body. It's not gonna be pretty. You're gonna have to hold the throttle open a fair amount to keep the engine running, and if it's working well there will be thick white smoke billowing out of the tail pipe. After you get through the can, shut it off right away and leave it for an hour. Then start it up, run it until the even worse smoke is done then shut it down again and change the oil.
I feel like that would waste most of it, why not pour just a bit down the vacuum line, crank briefly to get it into the cylinders, leave it there, and then start the engine later? At any rate the idea of doing such a thing scares the shit out of me, but fuel additives don't seem like they would do anything.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #5891
serialk11r

Garage
@Calum
Okay I looked at my logs, I have no idea what to make of the ignition advance...for one thing, it never went over 36, but then I hadn't revved the engine over 3200 since it was cold...gotta go over more data and stuff later. Idle is at 11 ish which is apparently normal. As I understand timing at low speed is low since there's more time for the charge to burn.

EDIT: okay found a few more data points. These are the ones that stood out to me (I have no idea what normal timing is supposed to look like but...) 3700rpm, 85% load, 18 degrees
5200rpm, 79% load, 18.5 degrees.

I think my logging is a little wonky, I should check off that "poll all sensors before recording" or whatever option.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #5892
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Soooo, one of the local bus drivers at my University totally looks like @Giccin...

Momo? Y U NO TELL ME U DRIVE BUS IN MY TOWN???
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (09-30-2012), Dimman (09-30-2012), Giccin (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #5893
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
@ichitaka05, I love your blog! It's like I see what's going through your mind at the time!

I also need to take you for a ride in a Supra...
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #5894
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
@ichitaka05, I love your blog! It's like I see what's going through your mind at the time!

I also need to take you for a ride in a Supra...
Thanks! Yeah pretty much lol I'm trying to blog daily... but sometimes, things gets in my way

& yes, I wanna ride in your Supra... maybe next yr summer or spring, when I get off work
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?