follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
readyness code will not clear

Went to get new sticker and failed as I had two readiness codes, evap and o2. Car had been sitting for 6 mo. Had a tender on it and lost no memory. The header had split and replaced by dealer, had not checked the readiness codes after that. Never got a check engine light. I am going to replace the o2 shortly as these are interrelated. Had the dealer check and clear their Subaru codes. Still no luck. Car has supercharger and catback and tune.

Has anyone else had a problem with readiness? This is the first time with this problem in 5yrs.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Went to get new sticker and failed as I had two readiness codes, evap and o2. Car had been sitting for 6 mo. Had a tender on it and lost no memory. The header had split and replaced by dealer, had not checked the readiness codes after that. Never got a check engine light. I am going to replace the o2 shortly as these are interrelated. Had the dealer check and clear their Subaru codes. Still no luck. Car has supercharger and catback and tune.

Has anyone else had a problem with readiness? This is the first time with this problem in 5yrs.

Readyness is different to cel codes, you can disable cel codes in tune but the readyness still wobt pass unless gge ecu see correct data from sensors.

If you passed readyness with tjat tune before then you have likely developed hardware fauult like your cracked header, readness may take up to an hour of driving to reset. If your getting evap code the evap solenoid or evap pressure sensor may be bad or you have a leak in the evap hoses or fuel tank, can be as simple as loose or damaged fuel tanp filler cap
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
ls1ac (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
ls1ac

Garage
After resetting three times and driving many miles, over 1000, with stops and cooldowns still got it. Subaru master tech was leaning toward o2 first as it could cause other problems. He also said to go and drive the pee out of it, I said no problem. Subaru only codes gave an unexpected wheel spin count, have no idea how that would have happened. right
Visual inspection and pressure check so far has not indicated a vacuum leak. Still looking, I think solenoid and sensor are next on the list. I can pass in WI with one reediness un set.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Quote:
After resetting three times and driving many miles, over 1000, with stops and cooldowns still got it. Subaru master tech was leaning toward o2 first as it could cause other problems. He also said to go and drive the pee out of it, I said no problem. Subaru only codes gave an unexpected wheel spin count, have no idea how that would have happened. right
Visual inspection and pressure check so far has not indicated a vacuum leak. Still looking, I think solenoid and sensor are next on the list. I can pass in WI with one reediness un set.

log AFR (02 sensor output)
commanded AFR (what ECU is asking for)

and LTFT long term fuel trim

will soon tell you if o2 sensor is bad (front one anyway)

the rear 02 is a fairly narrow band sensor but should read fairly correct at highway cruise, if its been disabled in tune it will never pass readiness.

id consentrate on the evap code that giving you second readiness fail, the evap solenoid under manifold have been known to fail
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
ls1ac (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 10:49 PM   #5
ls1ac

Garage
Thanks for the help.
I made sure the o2 was on. Still planning to change the o2, but I think I will follow your advice and change the solenoid too. Right now I have a racecar up on the lift with the engine and trans out (noble) so will be working on jack stands RRR.
Will try to do some logging next week.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:46 AM   #6
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not sure why you keep saying codes. Unless you actually have the MIL on or a stored code, I would not speculate.

You should lean towards getting the drive cycle right, first.
If you do the drive cycle right or meet the conditions the monitor will go to Ready.

Did you have a full tank before driving it? Had you driven it before going to the emission test? Have you checked after your "1000" miles to see if the monitors set or not?

I know you mentioned being on a battery charger for 6 months. Had the battery died before that? If you lost all memory, the evap monitor may not have set due to ambient temperature being too low during the winter.

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/341/readin...05-2015-subaru

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
ls1ac

Garage
I got back from a trip an picked up the car from the dealer. Master tech said that he had checked all of the outputs and got correct readings. He said that the tune was interrupting the communication to the ECU. He further said this is now a reoccurring problem they have been seeing this more and more with tuned cars including WRX.

If anyone else is having this problem I would sure like to hear from you.
No check engine light, this is only the readiness codes. OBD2 reader has to be able to show the readiness state. You may be having this problem but not needing OBD2 check for license renewal it may not affect you. Car runs great. Dealer tech suggested I should consider licensing in an other place.
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I got back from a trip an picked up the car from the dealer. Master tech said that he had checked all of the outputs and got correct readings. He said that the tune was interrupting the communication to the ECU. He further said this is now a reoccurring problem they have been seeing this more and more with tuned cars including WRX.

If anyone else is having this problem I would sure like to hear from you.
No check engine light, this is only the readiness codes. OBD2 reader has to be able to show the readiness state. You may be having this problem but not needing OBD2 check for license renewal it may not affect you. Car runs great. Dealer tech suggested I should consider licensing in an other place.

Most tunes for catless header will disable rear 02 sensr cel code P0420 hence no cel light.

However tgis still does not give ecu correct data from the rear 02 sensor that the ecu need to confirm theors a cat in header hence the readyness check for cat and rear02 never passes will always show fail.

A lot of tunes especially ecutek will also disable the evap pressure inpit to ecu as this is used for flex fuel system hence you will fail the evap readynessOr it may be you have loose gas cap or the evap pitge solenoid under manifold is disconnected or had stuck.

As pr my previois post cel loghts and readyness checks are different , readyness requires the ecu gets correct data from sensors over a period of time and rgis data passes throig the ecu check alogrythms to set readyness to pass. Simply disabling cel codes will not get readyness to pass.

Ecutek or other tune stsyems dont bypass readyness or force pass they jist disable cel codes.

Its going to be difficult to get readyness to pass all checks with a catless header and tune and supercharger fitted
Old 07-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
ls1ac

Garage
You are correct, we know drive cycle, we know readiness codes. This is a tune problem. We tried the simple before taking it in to the dealer for complete diagnostics, costly. I was hoping someone would have had a similar problem and found a work around.
I did do the easy and replace the o2 and the solenoid. The stock header and cats are still in place. No flex fuel, but do not know if the tune has that capability in place.

It is also interesting that it passed two years ago. I am now thinking that the readiness codes were still set when I put the supercharger on. When the dealer replaced the header they disconnected the battery and lost the set.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
ls1ac

Garage
Got the codes to clear and back on the road legally.
I first thought it might be hard wear and changed the o2 and solenoid.
Then programing. Worked with Delicious and they were great. Several iterations and a lot of learning on my part about this platform and they got a tune that would get the readiness codes to clear. Well all but one and that is good enough to pass.
Many thanks to Delicious for there help.
If I can be of any help to anyone with this problem feel free to contact me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
sroby (01-07-2021)
Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #11
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Got the codes to clear and back on the road legally.
I first thought it might be hard wear and changed the o2 and solenoid.
Then programing. Worked with Delicious and they were great. Several iterations and a lot of learning on my part about this platform and they got a tune that would get the readiness codes to clear. Well all but one and that is good enough to pass.
Many thanks to Delicious for there help.
If I can be of any help to anyone with this problem feel free to contact me.
What was the last monitor that did not complete?
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
ls1ac

Garage
EVAP System Mon I was told that with the positive pressure of the blower there is sometimes a leak into the vapor system keeping it from setting. A check valve will some times fix this, as I could pass with one not set I was not worried about this.