follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
deuncos

Drives: AT Hot lava FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Question JDL front pipe/Perrin 3" Resonated vs Nameless downpipe/axleback?

Hey guys! So I've been looking into getting a HFC front pipe to pair with a Perrin 3" resonated cat back (I'm aware that 3" on N/A cars are unnecessary and I may lose some power down low but I'm worried that the 2.5" may be too quite), mostly just looking for a deep mature sound rather then any power gains and I don't plan on getting headers. Most posts and videos I've found with the JDL/Perrin combo also have headers included in their exhaust set-up where as I'm just looking for front pipe/cat back. I'm also considering the nameless down pipe/axle back combo, from the video I was able to find of the exact combo it sounded amazing but in my opinion it may be a tad bit to loud for DD and early morning cold starts in my garage, and I'm also worried about the fitment issues with the nameless down pipe that I've read about. Should I also consider the JDL downpipe and are there any fitment issues like the nameless downpipe? I can't seem to decide so I thought I would ask members who might have had or currently have either of these exhaust set-ups there opinions. My car is 100% stock and a front pipe/cat back or down pipe/ axle back would be my first mod, and are there any issues with going with a 2.5" front pipe to a 3" catback or should I just stick with perrin 2.5" resonated? Any information is greatly appreciated!

Nameless combo: http://shop.namelessperformance.com/...aces-overpipe/

JDL front pipe HFC: https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-front-pipe/

JDL ultra quite front pipe: https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...et-front-pipe/

and also considering JDL downpipe: https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...ver-frontpipe/
deuncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
brz Islander

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I actually have the perrin 3 inch paired with a JDL uel header currently. I will have my JDL 3in OP and FP next week. I will be making a before and after video of the setups as there is almost nothing on these setups.
brz Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Just do the 2.5 jdl front pipe and either the muffler delete on the Nameless or the 4" mufflers. That will be quite loud (relatively speaking).

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:32 AM   #4
deuncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by brz Islander View Post
I actually have the perrin 3 inch paired with a JDL uel header currently. I will have my JDL 3in OP and FP next week. I will be making a before and after video of the setups as there is almost nothing on these setups.
Appreciate that brz Islander . It seems weird that not many people have the JDL Over pipe or front pipe but I guess it's more of a cost thing since berk and motiv are some what cheaper. Since I'm not putting money into headers I thought I would just put that money into a good HFC from JDL. Did you experience any drone with the perrin 3" before you put on the UEL headers? My main concern is if I do get the HFC and pair it with the perrin 3" it might possibly be a little loud, and I'm trying to avoid pissing my neighbors off again (used to have a CBR600rr).
The Following User Says Thank You to deuncos For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-08-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
deuncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Just do the 2.5 jdl front pipe and either the muffler delete on the Nameless or the 4" mufflers. That will be quite loud (relatively speaking).
Thanks for the suggestion weederr33, but I'm trying to keep the noise level somewhat tamed. Trying not to butt heads with my neighbors again after having them complain about my cbr . I'm leaning slightly towards the jdl ultra quite front pipe but am worried that might be too quite...that's why I wanted to ask any members if they had just the front pipe from jdl paired with the perrin 3" resonated catback. Out of curiosity why choose nameless over perrin? I'm aware their both respected and quality companies, but is it just a personal preference?
Chad86 (06-08-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 02:06 AM   #6
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuncos View Post
Thanks for the suggestion weederr33, but I'm trying to keep the noise level somewhat tamed. Trying not to butt heads with my neighbors again after having them complain about my cbr . I'm leaning slightly towards the jdl ultra quite front pipe but am worried that might be too quite...that's why I wanted to ask any members if they had just the front pipe from jdl paired with the perrin 3" resonated catback. Out of curiosity why choose nameless over perrin? I'm aware their both respected and quality companies, but is it just a personal preference?
I'm a fanboy of both perrin and nameless. 80% of my exhaust is from them Of course, I have their long tube headers, tomei op, catted/resonated front pipe, and an invidia q300. It's still pretty quiet until around 4,000 rpm. Also, I suggested nameless as they offer the axelback and give the option of several muffler sizes as well as a muffler delete. I'd guess with the jdl ultra quiet front pipe and either the 4" mufflers or the delete, the exhaust would sound great. 3" on a NA is kinda pointless tbh.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
brz Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuncos View Post
Appreciate that brz Islander . It seems weird that not many people have the JDL Over pipe or front pipe but I guess it's more of a cost thing since berk and motiv are some what cheaper. Since I'm not putting money into headers I thought I would just put that money into a good HFC from JDL. Did you experience any drone with the perrin 3" before you put on the UEL headers? My main concern is if I do get the HFC and pair it with the perrin 3" it might possibly be a little loud, and I'm trying to avoid pissing my neighbors off again (used to have a CBR600rr).
I will say that when i had the perrin 3 inch by its self even with the header, there is no drone at all. The perrin 3 inch i swear has to be the quietest 3 inch exhaust out there. sometimes you'll ask yourself if your car is even on.
The Following User Says Thank You to brz Islander For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-08-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #8
deuncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I'm a fanboy of both perrin and nameless. 80% of my exhaust is from them Of course, I have their long tube headers, tomei op, catted/resonated front pipe, and an invidia q300. It's still pretty quiet until around 4,000 rpm. Also, I suggested nameless as they offer the axelback and give the option of several muffler sizes as well as a muffler delete. I'd guess with the jdl ultra quiet front pipe and either the 4" mufflers or the delete, the exhaust would sound great. 3" on a NA is kinda pointless tbh.
Yeah I kinda figured I was in the minority when choosing the 3" lol, but I'm mostly just getting it for the noise as I'm worried that the 2.5" might be too quite, but if I'm able to find a decent video of the JDL front pipe paired up with perrin catback, that might sway me back to the 2.5". I'm really interested in the nameless down pipe/ axle back combo but the only thing that is preventing me from pulling the trigger is the fitment issues with the down pipe I keep coming across in posts on the forum. Decisions, Decisions
Old 01-13-2016, 01:46 AM   #9
deuncos

Quote:
I will say that when i had the perrin 3 inch by its self even with the header, there is no drone at all. The perrin 3 inch i swear has to be the quietest 3 inch exhaust out there. sometimes you'll ask yourself if your car is even on.
That seems to be the consensus with the perrin catback on all the posts and videos I've come across, but getting conformation that the 3" is still pretty quite is reassuring , hopefully pairing that up with the JDL front pipe will still retain that tamed noise while still being loud enough when I'm on it.
Chad86 (06-08-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
TatharPallan

Drives: 2015 Subaru Blue Series - Pearl
Here is my mini review in regards to the install of the JDL headers and 3 inch resonated FP/OP. I do have this paired with a Perrin 3 inch resonated CBE. I hope it helps. The only thing i will add is that you will still get very light tapping when making a hard left turn.

"Review "installation" - After leaving the shop we noticed that the OP was hitting the sub frame. After doing some adjustments we were unable to resolve the issue. I drove the car through the weekend until Monday when I began an email chain with Ronnie @ JDL. After providing a few Pictures and adjusting what i could from the engine bay ( I didn't have a way to lift the car) i set up a day to go back to my installer. Using the tips from JDL we were able to resolve the issue. The V-Band from the OP/FP was hitting the sub frame. To resolve the issue we hand tightened the bolts on the OP/Header and the V band. We then pushed the OP upwards and tightened up the bolts to finish the install. This gave the V band about 1/2 inch from the sub frame to resolve the issue.

Support - After a few emails JDL picked up the phone and gave me a call. We went over the install process and pictures which they then used to provide the install tip to resolve the issue.

Over all i am fully satisfied with the Quality of parts and Support from JDL. The car sounds amazing. No rasp or drone at any rpm. If you are cruising at any speed the car is fairly quiet however the car will get loud if you accelerate but it's never to the point where it is uncomfortable. I was able to have a conversation with a really soft spoken 11 year old girl while driving around town. Video Plox? All i have to make a video is my camera phone so it may not be the best quality. I am upgrading to the Note 5 so maybe i can try with that. Now i have the problem of the car sounding awesome but still being slow cause i'm still NA."
2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP (K1X) - JDL UEL Header, 3" JDL Res FP, 3" JDL OP, 3" Perrin Res Cat back, 3" Perrin BigMAF Intake/Inlet tube, Perrin Light Weight Pulleys (AC, Water Pump, Crank) - Moto-East FFK - E85 Tuned by HRI - ECUTEK - Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs
TatharPallan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TatharPallan For This Useful Post:
Fakk (03-09-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
Toyota86.ir
Mike Tune HKS E85 FD 4.88

Drives: Toyota GT86 AT NA Stage 2
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Header need to be coated
Toyota86.ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
brz Islander

Ill have a video this weekend. Shipping was later than anticipated. Op and Fp will be here thursday.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #13
deuncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatharPallan View Post
Here is my mini review in regards to the install of the JDL headers and 3 inch resonated FP/OP. I do have this paired with a Perrin 3 inch resonated CBE. I hope it helps. The only thing i will add is that you will still get very light tapping when making a hard left turn.

"Review "installation" - After leaving the shop we noticed that the OP was hitting the sub frame. After doing some adjustments we were unable to resolve the issue. I drove the car through the weekend until Monday when I began an email chain with Ronnie @ JDL. After providing a few Pictures and adjusting what i could from the engine bay ( I didn't have a way to lift the car) i set up a day to go back to my installer. Using the tips from JDL we were able to resolve the issue. The V-Band from the OP/FP was hitting the sub frame. To resolve the issue we hand tightened the bolts on the OP/Header and the V band. We then pushed the OP upwards and tightened up the bolts to finish the install. This gave the V band about 1/2 inch from the sub frame to resolve the issue.

Support - After a few emails JDL picked up the phone and gave me a call. We went over the install process and pictures which they then used to provide the install tip to resolve the issue.

Over all i am fully satisfied with the Quality of parts and Support from JDL. The car sounds amazing. No rasp or drone at any rpm. If you are cruising at any speed the car is fairly quiet however the car will get loud if you accelerate but it's never to the point where it is uncomfortable. I was able to have a conversation with a really soft spoken 11 year old girl while driving around town. Video Plox? All i have to make a video is my camera phone so it may not be the best quality. I am upgrading to the Note 5 so maybe i can try with that. Now i have the problem of the car sounding awesome but still being slow cause i'm still NA."
Appreciate the info TatharPallan! So do you think that the if I ran the 2.5" overpipe/front pipe I wouldn't run into any fitment issues? I was hoping that the fitment issues with the 3" downpipe (overpipe/frontpipe) only plagued Nameless but after reading your review it seems running 2.5" may be a better choice instead of worrying about clearance... but really glad to hear JDL was quick to respond and helped resolve your issue, makes it much more reassuring when I order my parts from them! Any video is better than no video, as long as I can hear that glorious JDL exhaust note
Old 01-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
deuncos

Quote:
Ill have a video this weekend. Shipping was later than anticipated. Op and Fp will be here thursday.
Appreciate it brz Islander, best of luck with the installation, can't wait to hear your set up!

Tags
jdl, nameless performance, perrin performance