follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
saif

Drives: Limited Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opinions on GT-86 competition!

Background skip if you want me to get to the point:

Hello fellow toyota fans out there. For the past few years I have been driving my 2006 Toyota solara that I had gotten from my parents in High School. Obviously looking sporty and being probably the coolest car in the parking lot in the school, I really got into cars and started doing mods to my car. Though dont worry, I didnt rice up the car. Eventually I got to a point where there was little to no support out there for the solara even though the tC uses the same engine and powertrain along with various other cars. This got me frustrated. However eventually my fellow car enthusiasts in college and family had told me that I could be putting the money I have towards a new cars downpayment in which I can actually have fun with. I have been following the beauty of the FR-s since its pre-production years in magazines to now and have always been a fan. Being in the car scene up here at VCU and not seeing many FR-S's around made it more appealing since it sticks out and is really unique and has a personality.

Point:

I went on to do more research about the cars and pricing and all that good stuff. Now im coming down to the grits of it and have noticed that there are MUCH better cars out there for the money. Some examples would be the Golf GTI (2014 or 2013), Hyundai Genesis (2.0T 2013), or the Mustang Eco-boost (2015). There are plenty out there that I might have forgotten to list but it gives you a good idea. Coming from probably one of the roomiest coupes you could find on the market along with some quality, I wanted to find something similar but with more power and personality. FR-S/BRZ is great, but the interior im not a fan of and of course the powertrain problems I have heard about it arent encouraging either. Though I know all cars their problems, I still want something that will last me long past the 100,000 mile mark without major problems. So in the end I really want this out of my car:

-RELIABILITY!!!
-QUALITY
-PERSONALITY
-POWER OR GREAT HANDLING OR SPORTY
-VALUE
-FUNCTIONALITY

Now its kind of generic but most of that is what I have gotten out of my Solara. I just dont want to be stranded with a drastically broken car at 50,000 miles and have to pay through my nose to get it fixed while paying for tuition(Pre-med, I have a long way ahead of me).

Point Question:

So in the end my question is, what made the FRS/BRZ/GT86 worth it to you guys/girls and what other cars did you all look at before finalizing on the FRS? What does the FRS really have over the other cars at the 26,000 price compared to the 24,000 GTI or 22,000 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T?

The MUSTANG is something I'm not looking into, JDM/KDM/EDM is my preference in that order.

Sorry if it was too long, its my first thread post and have seen how helpful and supportive you people have been. Thank you guys/girls in advance.

Attached Images

saif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I find the FR-S more fun to drive over my 2011 GTI, and even over my old STI hatch.

That said, it sounds like the FR-S is a bad fit for you. If you just want a roomy, sporty-looking coupe with power, you should go with a new Mustang or Gen Coupe.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (11-16-2014), saif (11-07-2014), Tcoat (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What you get out of the FRS is a more "raw" driving experience compared to the others you listed. I used to drive a MKV GTI - it's a great car, would love to have another GTI in the future. In the city, it's great to just get addicted to the torque gunning from intersection to intersection.

What I appreciate about the FRS is that it has made me a better driver - If I had to chose between having transferable skills vs. possessions, choice is easy. In MY opinion, if my objective is to have a fun car, it has to be RWD. While it's down on power, it's got more than enough for most people if you drive it at the limit. Plus, it will handle loads better than all the other options you've described.
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Cor10:23 For This Useful Post:
Pat.Thornton (11-11-2014), saif (11-07-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Drive one .. Then figure it out.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
Pat.Thornton (11-11-2014), saif (11-07-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
If you look at the numbers on the spec sheet, there is nothing that says this is the best option. In fact there is probably everything to show the FRS/BRZ should be at the bottom of your list.

Once you get behind the wheel on a curvy road you will understand, and if you don't understand then great go get a Genesis/Mustang/GTI/Focus.
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to that_one_guy For This Useful Post:
BRZ21 (11-06-2014), Decay107 (11-05-2014), saif (11-07-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
This car isn't about comfort. Neither was its predecessor. This car was built for the driver and the driver feel. I love its heritage and what it stands for and I get joy out of driving it every time I get in the drivers seat and go.

You should buy the genesis as it sounds more like the kind of car you would be passionate about.
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fika84 For This Useful Post:
saif (11-07-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
saif

Yeah I just have to go drive them. Im waiting for winter break to come around so I can go do that. I just dont want these dealers breathing down my neck after test driving all of these. I wanted to keep the "emotion" out of this to get something logical. Can someone address the mechanical issues of the fuel pump and engine seals of the FR-S?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
"and of course the powertrain problems I have heard about it arent encouraging"
Not really sure what you have heard but most of the alleged "problems" either:
1) Are not really an issue just an annoyance - Crickets
2) Were dealt with after the first couple of runs of the car (could still have if buying a 13 that was not fixed) - Misaligned body panels, leaky tails
3) Are the direct of bad tunes, incomplete/improperly done mods ( I know very controversial but...) - Blown engines, broken axles
4) Are a "known issue" but are actually much rarer then this forum would make you believe - Bad trannys
Not saying there are not exceptions to any and all of these but overall the car is as reliable as any other and more then some.
The other guys are pretty much on the money though. If you don't enjoy the actual act of driving and are looking for more creature comfort this may not be the right car.
saif (11-07-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saif View Post
Yeah I just have to go drive them. Im waiting for winter break to come around so I can go do that. I just dont want these dealers breathing down my neck after test driving all of these. I wanted to keep the "emotion" out of this to get something logical. Can someone address the mechanical issues of the fuel pump and engine seals of the FR-S?
If you take the "emotion" out of it and want to go with "logic" this car is definitely not for you. The only thing this car has above all other competitors is a subjective "fun" which is completely base on emotions and how the car makes you feel when you drive it. If you want to go logic then the genesis/mustang gives us most car for the buck.

The reliability concerns you have are unwarranted as long as you get a late model 2014 or a 2015. The seal issue was due to crappy ecu tunes done by subaru in the early model years. The fuel pump is strictly a noise issue has no negative effects on the car.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AsianStyle For This Useful Post:
saif (11-07-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
But can you handle CRICKETS??????????????
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
AZOOZ_95 (11-17-2014), saif (11-07-2014), Ultramaroon (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
All have been said or addressed.

I personanlly feel that the twins have much more personality than any of the cars you have listed.

Functionality... Umm well it goes from a to b. If you're looking for any other function in a Twin, you're not gonna get it.

I have not driven any other *NEW* vehicle south of 60 grand that has more "personality". The way the car communicates to you is sublime. When driven aggresively and purposefully, it is almost like having a conversation.

P.S. I cannot believe I have to put in NEW to modify the noun vehicle for all the trolls that may come in and say "you can buy a used (insert car) for less than a twin"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
saif (11-07-2014), Tcoat (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
saif

I wanted to take the emotion out so I didn't make the wrong decision in the end. I wanted to be able to make an informed choice so in the end I don't choose the least suited car for me.

But thats exactly what I have heard about the FR-S is about the chirping and the blown engines. It made me concerned because if some cars are doing that at around the <50,000 mile range then whats going to happen at 100,000? That really puts me to ease because, looking at the 2014 and 2015 models I was afraid of what people were saying. I understand that they are the minority, I was just making sure.

I absolute love driving! After a long day of work I go out and take a good spin around the city for the fun of it. I love hearing the engine grunt along with the feeling of a little adrenaline. Especially since I drive a 60% on Highways I love speed ramps.(I don't street race nor track race). Does the FRS drive well on the Highways going 70-80mph range over longer distances?

I have been in all the cars and when dealers ask me if I want to test drive it I told them no.Because I wanted to see ALL of my prospective options narrowed down on paper and then go in an drive them without having felt as if though I owed the dealer since I drove their car(Even though I know I don't). Plus it doesn't help when they wont leave you alone.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
saif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
All have been said or addressed.

I personanlly feel that the twins have much more personality than any of the cars you have listed.

Functionality... Umm well it goes from a to b. If you're looking for any other function in a Twin, you're not gonna get it.

I have not driven any other *NEW* vehicle south of 60 grand that has more "personality". The way the car communicates to you is sublime. When driven aggresively and purposefully, it is almost like having a conversation.

P.S. I cannot believe I have to put in NEW to modify the noun vehicle for all the trolls that may come in and say "you can buy a used (insert car) for less than a twin"

Trolls:

S200 Brah

but really good point and thats my favorite part about the FRS is the unique styling it has. My solara is only of the 2 or 3 on the Virginia/newportnews peninsula according to my local Toyota dealership and is something I take a HUGE pride in. I love when I go to a local shopping mall, and people turn their heads and look in admiration. Though its nothing amazing, its unique personality is something I love. Everyone in my hometown recognized me by my car, especially since it had my name as the plate. and thats the one thing that gets me caught up with the FRS. I think MAYBE I have seen 1 or 2 flying around in my hometown, which consisted of older retirees. However I see genesis/GTI/ESPECIALLY MUSTANGs ( ) flying all over the place being driven by 16 rich kids who wrecked the cars within days of getting them. I want people to look at the car and know its mine and that theres no other like it around. I see the amazing quality of the FRS, its just the functionality is killing me.
The Following User Says Thank You to saif For This Useful Post:
AZOOZ_95 (11-17-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
remove emotion?

I would heavily weight emotion into the determining factor...

Going off of "paper qualifications gets you a mini-van. Lots of room, decent mpg, lots of drink holders, economical etc...

DONT remove emotion.

What would happen if the most sense on paper was the most boring to drive? Or you just hated the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saif View Post
I wanted to take the emotion out so I didn't make the wrong decision in the end. I wanted to be able to make an informed choice so in the end I don't choose the least suited car for me.

I absolute love driving! After a long day of work I go out and take a good spin around the city for the fun of it. I love hearing the engine grunt along with the feeling of a little adrenaline. Especially since I drive a 60% on Highways I love speed ramps.(I don't street race nor track race). Does the FRS drive well on the Highways going 70-80mph range over longer distances?

I have been in all the cars and when dealers ask me if I want to test drive it I told them no.Because I wanted to see ALL of my prospective options narrowed down on paper and then go in an drive them without having felt as if though I owed the dealer since I drove their car(Even though I know I don't). Plus it doesn't help when they wont leave you alone.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
saif (11-07-2014)

Tags
solara, subaru brz, toyota 86 review