follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #15
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Depending on where you are white side markers may as well be neon signs saying "pull me over here is your excuse".
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Only to people who didn't know any better when they bought them and now feel like they need an excuse to keep being an asshole to other drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
@extrashaky - the led whites look much better.

Op- JDM factory ones get another vote here.
Quote:
The JDM OEM side markers are better-looking than aftermarket.

Be sure you use AMBER bulbs in the clear side markers, not only to stay legal, but also to be kind to the people beside and behind you who don't want to ride along having their night vision impaired from a white lamp. The bulbs are not expensive, and they make no difference in appearance during the day when you can actually see the side marker lenses, so there's no excuse for using white bulbs with clear lenses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhalo View Post
To add to this, I have amber bulbs from Diode Dynamics and the base is yellow in a way that shows through the side marker. Just wrap the base in white electrical tape before installing and the bulb disappears.
I feel like calling people assholes based on the fact they used white leds instead of yellow inside glass side markers is a bit much. I highly doubt they are so blinding that it would cause that much of an issue, if so the issue is with the type of bulb they chose. Improper bulbs in housings of headlights is more of an issue.

In my area or the northeast for that matter, no cop will pull you over for this sort of thing. Unless you interfere with your light coloring and it looks similiar to a police vehicle. There's so many situations where people have switchback LED style turn signals that change when something is engaged.

Totally depends on what LEDS you get, mine are in no way blinding. Also the choice for white was simply because the entire car is using LEDs now and the matching color combo of lights between 5000k-6000k simply looks best.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I feel like calling people assholes based on the fact they used white leds instead of yellow inside glass side markers is a bit much. I highly doubt they are so blinding that it would cause that much of an issue, if so the issue is with the type of bulb they chose. Improper bulbs in housings of headlights is more of an issue.

In my area or the northeast for that matter, no cop will pull you over for this sort of thing. Unless you interfere with your light coloring and it looks similiar to a police vehicle. There's so many situations where people have switchback LED style turn signals that change when something is engaged.

Totally depends on what LEDS you get, mine are in no way blinding. Also the choice for white was simply because the entire car is using LEDs now and the matching color combo of lights between 5000k-6000k simply looks best.
I doubt that many would pull you over no matter where you are but they could. No sense giving them a valid thing to pick on if they are a ****.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #17
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Wrong color lights, loud exhaust, too dark tint, etc, just ways for police to have some dumb reason to pull you over.
Most don't take advantage of it though and even if they do, most probably won't be such a twat to give a ticket for it.
If they did in FL, it would be all day long tickets for trucks that are too high with bumpers that will decapitate 99% of other drivers on the road
along with no mud flaps and tires way outside the body kicking up road debris behind them, and especially lights and fog lights aimed wrong and
what can only be described as extra "a-hole lights" that are there just to blind people in front of them.
If they aren't getting tickets for all that then having a white instead of amber side marker is waaaay down on the radar for the police.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:33 AM   #18
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Totally depends on what LEDS you get, mine are in no way blinding.
If they are white, they contribute to night blindness regardless of how bright they are.

Human eyesight gradually adjusts to darkness so that you can see better in low light the longer you're in it. However, your eyesight also responds differently to different colors of light. Light toward the blue/white end of the spectrum diminishes your ability to see into dark areas, whereas light toward the red end of the spectrum doesn't. This is why pilots use red lights in airplane cockpits at night, so that they don't diminish their ability to see into the dark outside the plane. If you look at a white light source, the unlit areas around it will appear darker (more contrast), and when you look away you will not be able to see quite as well in the dark. That doesn't happen (or not as dramatically) with red lights.

This effect is why lights mounted on an automobile facing the rear and sides are required by federal law to be either red or amber. Flashes of white light coming from oncoming traffic can't be helped, but at least it isn't sustained. If you had a sustained source of white light in front of you--for example riding along behind an asshole with white tail lights--your night vision would be impaired from the moment they came into view. The effect on driving is not only that your ability to see to avoid obstacles is diminished, but it also increases fatigue because you will naturally start straining to see around the white light source.

Side marker lamps are also required to be amber for this reason, because there's always a chance someone can get stuck beside and behind you for an extended period on the highway with your side marker in view. If you put a white light in there not knowing any of this, that just makes you ignorant. The cure for ignorance is knowledge. But if you keep a white light in there after you learn this knowledge, it means you simply don't give a shit about the safety and comfort of anyone else.

And that certainly would make one an asshole.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
alex87f (03-07-2019), bkharmony (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #19
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Wrong color lights, loud exhaust, too dark tint, etc, just ways for police to have some dumb reason to pull you over.
Most don't take advantage of it though and even if they do, most probably won't be such a twat to give a ticket for it.
If they did in FL, it would be all day long tickets for trucks that are too high with bumpers that will decapitate 99% of other drivers on the road
along with no mud flaps and tires way outside the body kicking up road debris behind them, and especially lights and fog lights aimed wrong and
what can only be described as extra "a-hole lights" that are there just to blind people in front of them.
If they aren't getting tickets for all that then having a white instead of amber side marker is waaaay down on the radar for the police.
I agree with this so much. These are the guys who should be getting their trucks seized. Dangerous bumpers is something I never understood cops not caring about... like really.. think about it... why you want to re-inforce your bumper? what reason could there possibly be other than "destroy other car in case of accident" this is borderline criminal behavior or at LEAST criminal negligence if you ask me... and don't nobody try defending truck ****s with the whole "it will break little twigs and trees and things out of your way when you are off-roading".... no
Impureclient (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #20
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
I agree with this so much. These are the guys who should be getting their trucks seized. Dangerous bumpers is something I never understood cops not caring about... like really.. think about it... why you want to re-inforce your bumper? what reason could there possibly be other than "destroy other car in case of accident" this is borderline criminal behavior or at LEAST criminal negligence if you ask me... and don't nobody try defending truck ****s with the whole "it will break little twigs and trees and things out of your way when you are off-roading".... no
Your right,
A lot of cops with push bumpers on there cruisers and firemen and off roaders with winches, etc., etc., don't care .
Neither do I.
I care about the tail light chaser looking at his MDT, the off roader texting etc.

Bumpers don't kill people, people do.

RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #21
redhalo

Drives: MY20 Hakone Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
How'd I get lumped in on calling people assholes? I just found the Diode Dynamics white leds to be too damn bright for side markers. What color bulbs are actually used in the JDM 86's?
redhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #22
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
How'd I get lumped in on calling people assholes? I just found the Diode Dynamics white leds to be too damn bright for side markers. What color bulbs are actually used in the JDM 86's?

Just quoted multiple no reason....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:53 AM   #23
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
like really.. think about it... why you want to re-inforce your bumper? what reason could there possibly be other than "destroy other car in case of accident"
Speaking for my own build on my Jeep, I'm installing reinforced bumpers front and rear that are tied into the uniframe for recovery and jack points, along with support for mounting a winch and a swing-out tire carrier to get the spare out of the cargo area. If you're stuck off road and need to jack the vehicle, you rarely have convenient access to a frame rail jack point underneath, at which point a farm jack hooked under the bumper can save the day. If you're stuck in mud or sand, it's likely you don't have access to a good stock recovery point for a buddy's winch rope. Offroad bumpers make those points more accessible. Aftermarket bumpers are also usually sloped on the side and bottom to improve approach and departure angles to help make it less likely you get stuck in the first place.

Granted, brodozers with the giant bumpers have them only for looks, but those of us who build functional offroad or overland rigs are doing it primarily for function. We also lift for ground clearance and tire clearance rather than to intimidate, and we use big fat tires with lots of sidewall on the smallest rims we can fit over our calipers rather than stupid 22" fake beadlocks with low profile tires you can't air down for traction. The responsible among us then also drive more conservatively on pavement because of the trade-offs we make to be able to leave the road.

Besides that, the bumpers don't really make that much difference in an accident. If I hit you hard enough to destroy your car, it's going to destroy it whether the bumper is there or not. On Jeeps with frames like the Wranglers, the stock bumpers are already tied into the frames, so the aftermarket bumpers really don't change anything other than approach angle and accessory support. The stock bumpers just have friendly-looking plastic covers on the end to make them seem safer. On the monocoque Jeeps like my Cherokee, we have found that tying a heavy bumper into the frame rails actually does more damage to our own vehicles in a collision because the bumper remains rigid but crumples the uniframe deeper in at the end of where the bumper ties in. Even low speed collisions with that setup usually end up totaling an XJ.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
RFB (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:57 AM   #24
extrashaky

Quote:
What color bulbs are actually used in the JDM 86's?
I'm pretty sure they're amber.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:15 AM   #25
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
They're blinker repeaters (at least on the EU market), so the bulbs are amber.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #26
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Wink

Quote:
Speaking for my own build on my Jeep, I'm installing reinforced bumpers front and rear that are tied into the uniframe for recovery and jack points, along with support for mounting a winch and a swing-out tire carrier to get the spare out of the cargo area. If you're stuck off road and need to jack the vehicle, you rarely have convenient access to a frame rail jack point underneath, at which point a farm jack hooked under the bumper can save the day. If you're stuck in mud or sand, it's likely you don't have access to a good stock recovery point for a buddy's winch rope. Offroad bumpers make those points more accessible. Aftermarket bumpers are also usually sloped on the side and bottom to improve approach and departure angles to help make it less likely you get stuck in the first place.

Granted, brodozers with the giant bumpers have them only for looks, but those of us who build functional offroad or overland rigs are doing it primarily for function. We also lift for ground clearance and tire clearance rather than to intimidate, and we use big fat tires with lots of sidewall on the smallest rims we can fit over our calipers rather than stupid 22" fake beadlocks with low profile tires you can't air down for traction. The responsible among us then also drive more conservatively on pavement because of the trade-offs we make to be able to leave the road.

Besides that, the bumpers don't really make that much difference in an accident. If I hit you hard enough to destroy your car, it's going to destroy it whether the bumper is there or not. On Jeeps with frames like the Wranglers, the stock bumpers are already tied into the frames, so the aftermarket bumpers really don't change anything other than approach angle and accessory support. The stock bumpers just have friendly-looking plastic covers on the end to make them seem safer. On the monocoque Jeeps like my Cherokee, we have found that tying a heavy bumper into the frame rails actually does more damage to our own vehicles in a collision because the bumper remains rigid but crumples the uniframe deeper in at the end of where the bumper ties in. Even low speed collisions with that setup usually end up totaling an XJ.
Explaining what we have to do for survival with our bush buggies to city people and non off roaders always results in stares similar to a cow looking at a train.
I guess that's why they put cow catchers on the front .

Last edited by RFB; 03-07-2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: fookink spwellink agin
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote